some old corps photos

It is very cool to see the old pictures from manning Bowl.

and the parade pictures are just as great.

I grew up in Lynn, and is great to see the old buildings.

what a shame it is all gone now.

I hear ya Pam.... :sad:

It was great growing up in Lynn. Even better living across the street from Manning Bowl :sad:

We truly miss the old days. Thank you all so much for posting these awesome memories. We mourn the loss of these great Drum and Bugle Corps and the traditions left behind.

Some of us cannot possibly relate to today's "Drum Corps". From the uniforms that are all just slight variations of the same, to the music which is not identifiable, to the dancing, emoting, out of synch guards and the electronics that make it all seem just like marching band. We're so sad to see what has become of the activity we held so dear.

I realize that some of you are comfortable with the current state of the activity, and that's just fine............some of us would prefer to remember the way it was and enjoy the memories here posted. Thank you, thank you, for giving us these wonderful snapshots of the great and glorious past of the great Drum and Bugle Corps that are gone now.

We truly miss the old days. Thank you all so much for posting these awesome memories. We mourn the loss of these great Drum and Bugle Corps and the traditions left behind.

Some of us cannot possibly relate to today's "Drum Corps". From the uniforms that are all just slight variations of the same, to the music which is not identifiable, to the dancing, emoting, out of synch guards and the electronics that make it all seem just like marching band. We're so sad to see what has become of the activity we held so dear.

I realize that some of you are comfortable with the current state of the activity, and that's just fine............some of us would prefer to remember the way it was and enjoy the memories here posted. Thank you, thank you, for giving us these wonderful snapshots of the great and glorious past of the great Drum and Bugle Corps that are gone now.

Hmmm this is an interesting post. I feel the same way and in my mind, the activity I used to belong to no longer exists, or has morphed into something similar, but not really the same at all. I guess that is my way of dealing with the changes that have taken place over the past years. I get the fact that the kids are still great. I get the fact that some people are really stoked about the activity. But for me, some of the changes are changes that have made the activity far less attractive to me. I love the drum corps activity and relish my memories. This thread has allowed me to know that I am not alone.

Hmmm this is an interesting post. I feel the same way and in my mind, the activity I used to belong to no longer exists, or has morphed into something similar, but not really the same at all. I guess that is my way of dealing with the changes that have taken place over the past years. I get the fact that the kids are still great. I get the fact that some people are really stoked about the activity. But for me, some of the changes are changes that have made the activity far less attractive to me. I love the drum corps activity and relish my memories. This thread has allowed me to know that I am not alone.

YOU ARE CORRECT WHEN YOU SAY YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I TAKE COMFORT IN SEEING THE ALUMNI CORPS WHENEVER I CAN. I TRULY BELIEVE THE ACTIVITY HAS FORGOTTEN IT"S HERITAGE AND HAS MORPHED INTO A GRAND BAND EXPIERIENCE. (ALTHOUGH THE LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE IS HIGH). FOR EXAMPLE LOOK AT DCA WITH ONLY ONE CORPS DOMINATING AND ALL OTHERS WAY DOWN. I THINK DCI WILL ALSO FIND THEY ARE ON A SLIPPERY SLOPE. GONE ARE THE DAYS YOU COULD TELL WHAT CORPS WAS ABOUT TO PERFORM WHEN YOU HEARD A STREET BEAT EVEN BEFORE THE CORPS APPEARED. THERE WAS ALSO THE FEELING THAT ANYONE COULD WIN ON ANY NIGHT DEPENDING HOW MUCH PRIDE AND ENTHUSIASM AND EXCITEMENT WAS GENERATED. CROWDS LOVED TO HEAR SIGNATURE SONGS AND ACTUALLY LOOKED FORWARD TO IT, (NOT THESE LESSONS IN MUSIC APPRECIATION AS WE HAVE TODAY) JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION

I agree 100% however all is not lost. If you get to a chance to see SCV's 09 show this year you will be pleasantly surprised. The music is completely recognizable throughout the entire show (those crazy SCV people, always pushing the limit). I actually looked forward to the encore show and am still able to hum the music the day after, amazing.

A couple of Santa Clara from 78 as well.

78scv5.JPG

78scv7.JPG

I like these photos. Thanks. We had a nice time watching 78 finals in Denver.

What stadium were the photos taken and is the drummer wearing a whistle?

I remember a Jody who marched guard with Oakland in '79, maybe '80 too. She came over with the Cardinals of Precious Blood group. Same Jody?

Sorry Nancy, this Jody didn't march after the '77 season in the K-W Northstars. :tongue:

Oh, no disrespect intended. After I made that post, I saw the thread below it that was all about that bus. I thought my post would be more appropriate there than on the old "Corps" photo thread. You know how people can be about being "off topic" :worthy:. Guess I should have explained.

Oh. :tongue: Well I guess that's OK then... :worthy:

:worthy:

I agree 100% however all is not lost. If you get to a chance to see SCV's 09 show this year you will be pleasantly surprised. The music is completely recognizable throughout the entire show (those crazy SCV people, always pushing the limit). I actually looked forward to the encore show and am still able to hum the music the day after, amazing.

Wouldn't it be great if they took it all and all the corps copied them next year ? What a novel idea play something the average drum corps fan can understand.