some old corps photos

Hey Puppet,

Were you marching St. Rita's back in 73' or 74'? I forget which year, but the Milford (CT.) Shoreliners went inactive and brought a bunch of their kids down to Brooklyn to march. I never marched in either corps, but when the Bridgemen (who I also never marched with) won the World Open that year they were fuming. I'm not trying to put a dig into your ribs, it's just one of those things that I remember. BTW, your comments about Hy are spot on.

Hey Puppet,

Were you marching St. Rita's back in 73' or 74'? I forget which year, but the Milford (CT.) Shoreliners went inactive and brought a bunch of their kids down to Brooklyn to march. I never marched in either corps, but when the Bridgemen (who I also never marched with) won the World Open that year they were fuming. I'm not trying to put a dig into your ribs, it's just one of those things that I remember. BTW, your comments about Hy are spot on.

Thank you, Piper.

As you can see from my signature, I aged out after the '72 season. But here's the thing. From what I've heard in 1973, integrating the Shoreliners into our corps was tough. They had to learn to be Brassmen - and the good thing is that they wanted to! So the Bridgemen could do nothing about it. You simply can't recruit someone who doesn't want to be recruited.

In 1972 and 1973 the Brassmen took 2nd at the World Open.

But here's some perspective of those two years for you:

July - CYO Nationals

1 Anaheim Kingsmen 83.000

2 27th Lancers 80.300

3 Cavaliers 78.400

4 Blue Rock 77.550

5 St. Rita's Brassmen 76.500

6 Garfield Cadets 73.900

7 Blessed Sacrament 73.850

8 CMCC Warriors 73.800

9 Boston Crusaders 73.550

10 Bridgemen 72.100

August - World Open Prelims

1 Muchachos 81.500

2 St. Rita's Brassmen 81.250

3 Kilties 81.100

4 Bleu Raeders 80.500

5 CMCC Warriors 78.250

6 Bridgemen 77.300

7 Des Plaines Vanguard 76.500

8 Pembroke Imperials 74.600

9 Emerald Cadets 74.500

10 Cadets Lasalle 73.600

August - World Open Finals

1 Kilties 81.100

2 St. Rita's Brassmen 77.700

3 Muchachos 77.350

4 Des Plaines Vanguard 75.250

5 Bridgemen 74.150

6 Bleu Raeders 71.950

7 Pembroke Imperials 70.750

8 CMCC Warriors 69.650

9 Cadets Lasalle 68.550

10 Emerald Cadets 67.950

August - U.S. Open

1 Anaheim Kingsmen 88.150

2 27th Lancers 85.000

3 Blue Rock 80.600

4 Kilties 80.100

5 Bridgemen 79.400

6 Des Plaines Vanguard 76.750

7 Garfield Cadets 75.600

8 Bleu Raeders 74.800

9 DeLaSalle Oaklands 73.650

10 Blessed Sacrament 71.500

And then additionally that same month - and this is only about the history of that year and their placements therein because to be honest, I had nothing against the Bridgemen - we liked all our New Jersey competition. So, 1 more big show in 1972 and their scores:

DCI World Championships - Prelims: 12 78.550

DCI World Championships - Finals: 11 75.400

We didn't join DCI. And the Bridgemen to their credit took 4th at the American Legion that year.

Now, '73 was a different matter. They beat us every time we marched against them including the Open. I don't know what could have made them angry, we were never angry even when we took 2nd or 3rd place. Besides 1973 was a pretty darn good season for them even though they were well out of the money at the DCI Championships again.

By '74 the Brassmen had folded so they could have had all the Shoreliners they wanted but they had one of their "down" years.

Could it be as simple as: Maybe it was the water in Bayonne at the time?

Thank you for reading the "All the history, all the time" channel.

Puppet

Edited by Puppet

Nope....winning on the field doesn't mean you have money...especially in the 80s.

Those unis may not have been the originals, but I suspect they were a 2nd or 3rd set....the joke was that they were older than the kids who wore them...and that didn't seem very far off.

And I thought I was the only one who noticed the Cadet's raggedy unis. I had seen them in my first drum corps show ever as a spectator in 1980, and loved the uniforms. Then when I saw then up close in 83, I also was amazed that they were in such frightful condition. But they got some cash in 84 and got those beautiful gold drums after which we lusted.

Conquistadors 1978

2corpsphotos9202.jpg

Wow...so cool to see this picture! I marched with three of the five snares shown here the next two years. They were so young and so good!

Freelancers

freelann-3.jpg

That's Nancy Walker... VK '76.

Conquistadors 1978

2corpsphotos9202.jpg

Thanks for posting this great photo. I remember seeing Conquistadors for the first time in 1979. Very good corps. I loved their Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club version. California was truly ripe with great drum corps during this time.

Thank you, Piper.

As you can see from my signature, I aged out after the '72 season. But here's the thing. From what I've heard in 1973, integrating the Shoreliners into our corps was tough. They had to learn to be Brassmen - and the good thing is that they wanted to! So the Bridgemen could do nothing about it. You simply can't recruit someone who doesn't want to be recruited.

We didn't join DCI. And the Bridgemen to their credit took 4th at the American Legion that year.

Now, '73 was a different matter. They beat us every time we marched against them including the Open. I don't know what could have made them angry, we were never angry even when we took 2nd or 3rd place. Besides 1973 was a pretty darn good season for them even though they were well out of the money at the DCI Championships again.

By '74 the Brassmen had folded so they could have had all the Shoreliners they wanted but they had one of their "down" years.

Could it be as simple as: Maybe it was the water in Bayonne at the time?

Thank you for reading the "All the history, all the time" channel.

Puppet

hey Puppet

I think Piper was talking about the St Rita's members being mad that the Bridgemen beat them. not the other way around!

I was at the Shoreliners rehearsal when Hy made the announcement and invitation to come to St Rita's Both corps were on the verge of going inactive, and since both corps' had most of the same staff, it was talked anout combining forces. If I remember, Shoreliners had the drummers but not enough horns, and St Rita's had the horns but nott enough drummers. Also, St Rita's had the bigger name in competition. I didn't go to Brooklyn with everyone.. but a couple of my friends I went to school with went and I can remember a few times when Bridgemen beat St Rita's, it wasn't a pleasant discussion with my friend Tim. (also didn't help that I was a huge Bridgemen fan that year!) .. but always enjoyed watching Brassmen when we were at GNY shows and when I could....

hey Puppet

I think Piper was talking about the St Rita's members being mad that the Bridgemen beat them. not the other way around!

I was at the Shoreliners rehearsal when Hy made the announcement and invitation to come to St Rita's Both corps were on the verge of going inactive, and since both corps' had most of the same staff, it was talked anout combining forces. If I remember, Shoreliners had the drummers but not enough horns, and St Rita's had the horns but nott enough drummers. Also, St Rita's had the bigger name in competition. I didn't go to Brooklyn with everyone.. but a couple of my friends I went to school with went and I can remember a few times when Bridgemen beat St Rita's, it wasn't a pleasant discussion with my friend Tim. (also didn't help that I was a huge Bridgemen fan that year!) .. but always enjoyed watching Brassmen when we were at GNY shows and when I could....

I that was the case then it was the Shoreliner newbies who exhibited that behavior. From the time we were St. Joseph Patron Cadets our staff and directors always taught us to reel in that "we lost because of someone else" crap - although we were allowed to rail against the judges - we just never were "haters" like that. Oh, and by the way, after sweeping the Greater New York Marching and Maneuvering Circuit in 1965 and 1966 as the St. Joseph Patron Cadets, we never marched in competition in that circuit again. In our 5 years (1969 to 1973) the Brassmen didn't appear in one competition within the 5 boroughs of New York City. But I'm very glad you enjoyed seeing us at shows where we didn't appear.

Thank you ... I think.

Puppet :devil::doh::devil::doh: :doh: :dry:

Edited by Puppet

I that was the case then it was the Shoreliner newbies who exhibited that behavior. From the time we were St. Joseph Patron Cadets our staff and directors always taught us to reel in that "we lost because of someone else" crap - although we were allowed to rail against the judges - we just never were "haters" like that. Oh, and by the way, after sweeping the Greater New York Marching and Maneuvering Circuit in 1965 and 1966 as the St. Joseph Patron Cadets, we never marched in competition in that circuit again. In our 5 years (1969 to 1973) the Brassmen didn't appear in one competition within the 5 boroughs of New York City. But I'm very glad you enjoyed seeing us at shows where we didn't appear.

Thank you ... I think.

Puppet :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :blink::dry:

Coulda been the Shoreliner peeps.... I know the ones I knew didn't like getting their butts kicked by Bayonne/// as for seeing you at shows St Rita's didn't appear at in the GNY circuit.. they did appear. in exhibition.. never said they competed... saw them at 2 long Island shows and I believe the Wynn Center show in 71 and 72/ as well as World Open and in Bridgeport!

Peace ! I hope