some old corps photos

8 Toronto area drum majors were interviewed for an April 1974 publication. In it, I said I was going to march my 1976 age-out year as a guard member in Troopers or Santa Clara Vanguard. In June 1974, I graduated from high school grade 13 and was about to quit drum corps. My drama teacher asked what University I was attending. I said, “I’m not. I can’t afford it”. She helped me find scholarships; I found a good paying summer job; I was good to go. I’ll always be grateful for Mrs. Kadak.

Meanwhile out west, on May 17, 1974, Bobby Hoffman, Gary West and Sammy Kays had a final rehearsal with Alberta All Girls drum corps before they went to Spokane for the World’s Fair. Early July, Mike Duffy and Ralph Hardimon flew to Germany with the girls for the closing ceremonies of the World Cup Soccer finals July 7, 1974. Dutch Boy drum corps from Kitchener-Waterloo performed in Munich, Germany during the same week.

Mike and Ralph flew back; Mike Duffy stopped in Toronto to work with De La Salle Oaklands horn line. I remember going to their rehearsals and wondering who that long haired fellow was. One Sunday, at a Seneca Princemen rehearsal, we had a guest horn instructor. Mike polished our horn line and gave me, their drum major, tips on conducting. Princemen and Del did well the summer of 74.

Meanwhile out west, on July 23, 1974, the Alberta All Girls left for their third tour, final destination Ithaca, New York. Mike Duffy and Ralph Hardimon met them somewhere and continued to tour with the girls. Sometime in August 1974, Alberta All Girls and Santa Clara Vanguard drum lines rehearsed together. Meanwhile Seneca Princemen were on their way to Butler Pennsylvania and Marion Ohio, back to Toronto by August 12th to prepare for their annual contest August 18, 1974 which was usually held at Birchmount Stadium.

Shortly after our Canadian Nationals Championships on September 2, 1974, I moved to Kitchener-Waterloo and registered for University. A week later I was hired by Ventures drum corps as guard tech. I’d sometimes get a ride back to Toronto with John Dileo or Harry Clark whom were on staff for Ventures and De La Salle Oaklands. I spent a few Sundays with Seneca Princemen as guard tech until Ventures had full weekend rehearsals to prepare for a winter guard contest scheduled for February 16, 1975 at Cameron Heights Collegiate. This is my brief glimpse of late-spring-summer-early-autumn of 74:-)

1973 Nationals program, Dutch Boy, Kitchener-Waterloo

Program notes ‘…in existence for 4 years…National Jr. C Champions 1971 and 1972. They will march 96 members this year as they enter Junior B for the first time. In keeping with the uniform, music includes ‘The Happy Wanderer’, ‘O du lieber Augustin’, ‘Beer Barrel Polka’, ‘Auf Wiedersehn’, ‘Edelweiss’.

73-nats-dutchboy.jpg

Probably 40 something now LOL

Bloody.....how old is that kid on sop??

1973 Nationals program, Dutch Boy, Kitchener-Waterloo

Program notes ‘…in existence for 4 years…National Jr. C Champions 1971 and 1972. They will march 96 members this year as they enter Junior B for the first time. In keeping with the uniform, music includes ‘The Happy Wanderer’, ‘O du lieber Augustin’, ‘Beer Barrel Polka’, ‘Auf Wiedersehn’, ‘Edelweiss’.

73-nats-dutchboy.jpg

Competed against the Dutch Boys many times and always felt a bit of sympathy for them because of this uniform. From my memory these were real leather leidehosen (sp). They could never look real serious with this outfit. But they were very much part of drum corps in those days and well known by fans.

Competed against the Dutch Boys many times and always felt a bit of sympathy for them because of this uniform. From my memory these were real leather leidehosen (sp). They could never look real serious with this outfit. But they were very much part of drum corps in those days and well known by fans.

At our staff meeting September 1975, someone said ‘the kids are getting older, the weather’s getting colder; let’s wear pants!’ So we did. 1976 Dutch Boy group photo. I have our guard flag somewhere. I’ll try to find it and take a photo :-)

1975-76DutchBoy2cleaned-a.jpg