some old corps photos

My apologies for the quality, the image is directly from the negative.

AAG 1977 somewhere in England I believe...

1977ShowEngland1.jpg

1977ShowEngland1.jpg

My first thought was Trafalgar Square, no not there, not sure where? Beautiful photo, a negative turned into a positive; oh my, it’s dreamlike! I remember the sound of our boots on the cobblestones before we performed; the rhythm of the beat long before we played; the unison sound on the stones.

I recognize Kim, Val, Irene, Shelley, Wendy H, Deb, Jan, Shirley, Nancy, Tanya, Claudia, Jane, Caren, Marjorie, Wendy B and one of the Barnett twins … thanks for posting our memories and to our American friends, wishing you an early Happy Thanksgiving!

1977ShowEngland1.jpg

I believe the picture showing may be backwards ... the angle of the drums and the position of the snares hands are wrong ... all these pics of AAG are a treat ... did all the girls work on getting their hair the same length? ... a stunning look for sure ...

:-)

1977ShowEngland1.jpg

What is so great about scanning a tiny negative and posting it here is that someone in Ohio can see clearly a 1970's color photo about 8 inches by 6 inches on a computer screen. I can make out details, such as the cymbal player in the second row who is obviously not at attention and talking with someone to her left. I can almost see her lips moving. I can see the pavement tiles and creases in the white boots. I see various hair colors. Sometimes the details of the photo give another dimension beyond the two dimensions we can see. Over time. this moment in time, can be shared with thousands of people. It's a good thing.

Edited by baja

My first thought was Trafalgar Square, no not there, not sure where? Beautiful photo, a negative turned into a positive; oh my, it's dreamlike! I remember the sound of our boots on the cobblestones before we performed; the rhythm of the beat long before we played; the unison sound on the stones.

I recognize Kim, Val, Irene, Shelley, Wendy H, Deb, Jan, Shirley, Nancy, Tanya, Claudia, Jane, Caren, Marjorie, Wendy B and one of the Barnett twins … thanks for posting our memories and to our American friends, wishing you an early Happy Thanksgiving!

My goodness, Linda, you remember your girls and still know exactly where everyone was. Very impressive.

It seems to me that this was a place by the ocean in England. But hey, I never knew where we were most of the time. We'd just get in the busses and go, sometimes drive for hours and I never knew where we were going to end up.

ajlisko, you are abosultely correct, it is backwards. I'm sorry about that. Tried mirroring them in the edit on Photobucket but it's not working for some reason. It looks fine but not when I post it it seems. So we can hold a mirror up to the screen while we look at it I guess! Hehehe

Some girls had short hair, some had mid-length, some had long hair. With the busby hats, it's hard to tell who had what.

ETA: baja, the cymbal player is probably asking "where the heck are we anyway?" LOL

Edited by DLMillard

My goodness, Linda, you remember your girls and still know exactly where everyone was. Very impressive.

It seems to me that this was a place by the ocean in England. But hey, I never knew where we were most of the time. We'd just get in the busses and go, sometimes drive for hours and I never knew where we were going to end up.

ajlisko, you are abosultely correct, it is backwards. I'm sorry about that. Tried mirroring them in the edit on Photobucket but it's not working for some reason. It looks fine but not when I post it it seems. So we can hold a mirror up to the screen while we look at it I guess! Hehehe

Some girls had short hair, some had mid-length, some had long hair. With the busby hats, it's hard to tell who had what.

ETA: baja, the cymbal player is probably asking "where the heck are we anyway?" LOL

As an aside, did you go to DCI finals in 1976 and did you take a camera? …it takes me a long time to remember names. Being on the reunion committee this past year helped along with 150 follow up phone calls prior to the event. Our 1977 itinerary closely matched where we went with a few exceptions. The organization was well run. There were a handful of us in 1977 that could read road maps and had a sense of direction. The plus was that we usually arrived on time; the minus was that we rarely slept on the bus.

I also found that photobucket doesn’t flip photos easily. I took the liberty of saving your photo, flipped it in paint and uploaded to my account. I have about 20 road maps from the 1970’s and a travel journal of our 1977 tour. Thanks for your help with the jigsaw puzzle. We performed by the UK sea in Great Yarmouth July 5/77 and July 28/77, Eastbourne July 13/77 and Isle of Sheppey near Sheerness July 31/77 following a performance in London earlier that day.

dcp-dm-1977ShowEng-flipped.jpg

At our reunion July 2011, I took the liberty of photographing a page of a photo album. On July 24/77, we rehearsed at 8:30 a.m. and performed for a fundraiser at London Hospital at noon. My travel log says we met Ron Moody in a carnival at Petticoat Lane. He was wonderful and made us feel at ease, back on the bus for a performance at Broomfield Park in Enfield at 3, a great day for me; excuse me, gotta go and finish laundry … :smile:

carrier-77-aag-5.jpg

As an aside, did you go to DCI finals in 1976 and did you take a camera? …it takes me a long time to remember names. Being on the reunion committee this past year helped along with 150 follow up phone calls prior to the event. Our 1977 itinerary closely matched where we went with a few exceptions. The organization was well run. There were a handful of us in 1977 that could read road maps and had a sense of direction. The plus was that we usually arrived on time; the minus was that we rarely slept on the bus.

I also found that photobucket doesn't flip photos easily. I took the liberty of saving your photo, flipped it in paint and uploaded to my account. I have about 20 road maps from the 1970's and a travel journal of our 1977 tour. Thanks for your help with the jigsaw puzzle. We performed by the UK sea in Great Yarmouth July 5/77 and July 28/77, Eastbourne July 13/77 and Isle of Sheppey near Sheerness July 31/77 following a performance in London earlier that day.

Yes but Linda, you remember who was where in the lineup, that's a feat in itself.

In '76 we did an Eastern leg of the tour which included Montreal for the Olympics, and Ottawa. I missed the Eastern portion of the tour, but I don't think it included DCI. There was a portion of it in the US as well so don't quote me that DCI wasn't included.

I hated those British busses we had, no bathrooms and rarely any stops for bathroom breaks. Big windows, untinted, so we had a bigger audience everytime we were changing into our uniforms than we did for the show itself! The seats didn't recline at all, were bench style and hard as rock. Very little sleep on those things. I missed our busses at home.

Thanks for flipping the pic. I'm working on the others in hopes that when they're posted they'll be fine. :lookaround:

Colour guard at the Eiffel Tower show in Paris (again my apologies for the color quality, it's from the negative.) I loved it when they wore the orange uniforms in contrast to our whites, and I loved our color guard. I had this pic blown up poster sized, framed and hung on the wall as well.

1977EiffelTowerShow3-1-1.jpg

Edited by DLMillard

No worries about the color, these have been beautiful :thumbup:

I don't think we ever met up with AAG (you appear to have been a very busy bunch), but I sure would have loved to listen.

The few all-girl corps I do remember sharing a field with were St. John's, Belles of St. Mary (Rhinelander) and Capitalaires.

Edited by JonW