If I hear a soprano called a "trumpet"...

Why??

The corps are playing on trumpets and tubas, so why not call them what they are?

Mike

No argument Mike, but why do we still call it a Drum & Bugle Corps....

Deja Vu all over again as I asked this last year of the current DCI marchers. General consesus was they play trumpets and tubas but no one could come up with a real good idea on why it's still called a Bugle Corps.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares? I actually call it DRUM CORPS. I hardly ever call it drum and bugle corps. And there is no mention of bugles in the name of DCI, so really I don't see what the big deal is. Especially considering that corps haven't really used "bugles" for decades. Semantic arguments get old real fast. The "color guards" don't guard the colors anymore. The "pit" is not recessed into the ground like it is in an orchestra. And technically, a drum corps can be defined as a "band" of people "marching" around the field, or a "marching band" of people. They're just words.

If I went with that train of thought, then Drum Corps is a mis-nomer because what's on the field is no longer a corps. A corps represents something militaristic, which hasn't been on the field on decades. And there is no "drumming" persay. They are performing music.

Who cares? I actually call it DRUM CORPS. I hardly ever call it drum and bugle corps. And there is no mention of bugles in the name of DCI, so really I don't see what the big deal is. Especially considering that corps haven't really used "bugles" for decades. Semantic arguments get old real fast. The "color guards" don't guard the colors anymore. The "pit" is not recessed into the ground like it is in an orchestra. And technically, a drum corps can be defined as a "band" of people "marching" around the field, or a "marching band" of people. They're just words.

Oh I'd love to heard Reliable Rondo call 'em marching bands on the PBS broadcasts. ^0^

And some people do care, so why show them disrespect just because they disagree with you?

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Oh I'd love to heard Reliable Rondo call 'em marching bands on the PBS broadcasts.  ^0^

Well, they call them color guards and they don't guard the colors. Why aren't people up in arms about that?

And some people do care, so why show them disrespect just because they disagree with you?

If you want to get all upset over something that is essentially meaningless (no one is stopping YOU from calling them whatever you want to call them), then that's up to you. By all means, get upset. It is your right. As it is mine to point out how illoigical it is. :)

If I went with that train of thought, then Drum Corps is a mis-nomer because what's on the field is no longer a corps.  A corps represents something militaristic, which hasn't been on the field on decades.  And there is no "drumming" persay.  They are performing music.

Absolutely. So why get upset because someone calls a trumpet a trumpet??

If you want to get all upset over something that is essentially meaningless (no one is stopping YOU from calling them whatever you want to call them), then that's up to you. By all means, get upset. It is your right. As it is mine to point out how illoigical it is. :)

Where in my first post does it look like I'm upset? All I did was ask a question.

And when the first two words in your reply is "Who Cares" it appears that you have little respect for those with differing opinions. Or perhaps you're the one getting upset about it.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Okay, confession time:

The reason I was so good at flags was that I twirled a baton as a child...

It certainly helped get me into color guard!