If I hear a soprano called a "trumpet"...

skywalker, have you ever marched drum corps? It's totally fine if you haven't, but if the answer is "yes", I must say your feelings on the subject surprise me then.

I started marching in 1964, yet IMO Skywalker is right on the money.

Why does marching status matter in this?

Mike

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Todays drum corps is far different, that's true.

But decades??? Wrong. A bugle had less than three valves, and was pitched in G. I'm not that old!

Big difference from a trumpet.

I was just griping because I MISS it being a bugle.

But, you can still argue that a trumpet is a soprano! Because it's the highest VOICE in the hornline. And a Contra (ContraBASS) is the lowest.

Aside from all the semantic arguments, DCI should change it's name because regardless if bugles are used or not, or if sopranos are now trumpets DCI is just not serving it's original purpose as an organization for drum and bugle corps, regardless if it appears in the name or not...I mean, what is the difference between DCI or BOA?...IMO the bands (not a typo) that march in DCI today are just that. Bands minus the woodwinds....once woodwinds are added, which I am sure will happen eventually....they are a band, and not a drum corps...what really needs to happen is possibly the creation of a new organization that caters too those of us who have seen first hand the demise of real drum corps. Many will argue that this is a generational issue. It is indeed not. There are several young folks who have the same sentiments. I cannot understand why folks cannot see the similarities between bands and today's so-called drum corps...IMO they are close to being one and the same....trumpet line?...come on people!

Aside from all the semantic arguments, DCI should change it's name because regardless if bugles are used or not, or if sopranos are now trumpets DCI is just not serving it's original purpose as an organization for drum and bugle corps, regardless if it appears in the name or not...I mean, what is the difference between DCI or BOA?...IMO the bands (not a typo) that march in DCI today are just that. Bands minus the woodwinds....once woodwinds are added, which I am sure will happen eventually....they are a band, and not a drum corps...what really needs to happen is possibly the creation of a new organization that caters too those of us who have seen first hand the demise of real drum corps. Many will argue that this is a generational issue. It is indeed not. There are several young folks who have the same sentiments. I cannot understand why folks cannot see the similarities between bands and today's so-called drum corps...IMO they are close to being one and the same....trumpet line?...come on people!

The day DCI allows woodwinds or any further use of amps other than the pit, the will loose a lot of ALUMNI!!!

You know, THE PEOPLE THAT BUILT DCI TO WHAT IT WAS 'BACK IN THE DAY'!! B)

DCI is just not serving it's original purpose as an organization for drum and bugle corps

This hits the nail right on the head. DCI doesn't support drum corps. It dictates their direction.

Most horn players will agree that any key has it's advantages and disadvantages. But, I'll bet we will never see a champion in G again. Not because Bb is better or worse, but because the powers that be have spoken.

By definition, it hasn't really been drum and bugle corps since they added the first valve. But, the reason for calling it a soprano vs trumpet in the first place was because ALL the G horns were trumpets/bugles, distinguished only by their range. A contra is just a really big trumpet/bugle. There is no over the shoulder bell front tuba in an orchestra. The nomenclature was there for a reason, not just because it sounded cool.

Now that orchestral less than homogenous instruments are on the field, there is no need for the old nomenclature. Let's face it folks. Drum corps is long gone. It was nice while it lasted. What they do today is all well and good, but it's morphed into something other than drum and bugle corps. For us old phartes, it goes against everything we were ever taught to believe about drum corps. I really wonder how todays instructors who were brought up in the old days could sell out their heritage in such a wholesale fashion. But, it just goes to show ya. A lot of the best people in drum corps left the activity many moons ago.

This hits the nail right on the head.  DCI doesn't support drum corps.  It dictates their direction. 

Most horn players will agree that any key has it's advantages and disadvantages.  But, I'll bet we will never see a champion in G again.  Not because Bb is better or worse, but because the powers that be have spoken. 

By definition, it hasn't really been drum and bugle corps since they added the first valve.  But, the reason for calling it a soprano vs trumpet in the first place was because ALL the G horns were trumpets/bugles, distinguished only by their range.  A contra is just a really big trumpet/bugle.  There is no over the shoulder bell front tuba in an orchestra.  The nomenclature was there for a reason, not just because it sounded cool. 

Now that orchestral less than homogenous instruments are on the field, there is no need for the old nomenclature.  Let's face it folks.  Drum corps is long gone.  It was nice while it lasted.  What they do today is all well and good, but it's morphed into something other than drum and bugle corps.  For us old phartes, it goes against everything we were ever taught to believe about drum corps.  I really wonder how todays instructors who were brought up in the old days could sell out their heritage in such a wholesale fashion.  But, it just goes to show ya.  A lot of the best people in drum corps left the activity many moons ago.

This is just ridiculous IMO...why take a little piece of my quote and turn it into some type of justification for the demise of drum corps. You are wrong when you say that drum corps is long gone....maybe in your mind it just may be...but there are several alumni, fans and friends of drum corps that disagree...if you are implying that todays drum (band) corps is helping keep the activity afloat that is just ridiculous....what is really needed, as I stated earlier, is a new organization that caters to those of us that are tired of hearing that there is not a difference between drum corps and what we hear,..or should I say, don't hear on the field today...there are several different forms of reasoning in this thread, but what I think most folks who despise what is taking place on the field today are trying to say is that it is just not drum corps...it is marching band...just look at the BOA site, it's similar to DCI.org...why is that so difficult to comprehend?

This is just ridiculous IMO...why take a little piece of my quote and turn it into some type of justification for the demise of drum corps. You are wrong when you say that drum corps is long gone....maybe in your mind it just may be...but there are several alumni, fans and friends of drum corps that disagree...if you are implying that todays drum (band) corps is helping keep the activity afloat that is just ridiculous....what is really needed, as I stated earlier, is a new organization that caters to those of us that are tired of hearing that there is not a difference between drum corps and what we hear,..or should I say, don't hear on the field today...there are several different forms of reasoning in this thread, but what I think most folks who despise what is taking place on the field today are trying to say is that it is just not drum corps...it is marching band...just look at the BOA site, it's similar to DCI.org...why is that so difficult to comprehend?[/color]

But I think that IS what he was saying.

Most horn players will agree that any key has it's advantages and disadvantages.  But, I'll bet we will never see a champion in G again.  Not because Bb is better or worse, but because the powers that be have spoken. 

By definition, it hasn't really been drum and bugle corps since they added the first valve.  But, the reason for calling it a soprano vs trumpet in the first place was because ALL the G horns were trumpets/bugles, distinguished only by their range.  A contra is just a really big trumpet/bugle.  There is no over the shoulder bell front tuba in an orchestra.  The nomenclature was there for a reason, not just because it sounded cool. 

Some young'uns may not understand this.

ALL bugles used to be pitched in G. Regardless of thier size. This is part of why we still called them bugles.