If I hear a soprano called a "trumpet"...

But "sop" and "contra" sound a heck of alot cooler than "trumpet" and "tuba"...

B)

C'mon...admit it!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you can ask a question and I can't. OK.

So you don't think telling someone "Who Cares?" when they voice their opinion is insulting?

I enjoy talking to people who disagree with me on things. But both sides need to show respect fot the others opinion.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

No argument Mike, but why do we still call it a Drum & Bugle Corps....

That's a very good question. If we're going to change the instrumentation, and name that instrumentation accurately, then it seems the activity's name is going to have to change right along with it.

Well, they call them color guards and they don't guard the colors. Why aren't people up in arms about that?

Actually, many folks have been debating that very point for years now.

Who cares? I actually call it DRUM CORPS. I hardly ever call it drum and bugle corps. And there is no mention of bugles in the name of DCI, so really I don't see what the big deal is. Especially considering that corps haven't really used "bugles" for decades. Semantic arguments get old real fast. The "color guards" don't guard the colors anymore. The "pit" is not recessed into the ground like it is in an orchestra. And technically, a drum corps can be defined as a "band" of people "marching" around the field, or a "marching band" of people. They're just words.

skywalker, have you ever marched drum corps? It's totally fine if you haven't, but if the answer is "yes", I must say your feelings on the subject surprise me then.

So you don't think telling someone "Who Cares?" when they voice their opinion is insulting?

No I don't, actually. If you want to believe a certain thing, that is your right and I can respect that. That doesn't mean that I can't also inquire why you or anyone else thinks such a thing is so important. Hence, who cares? You said many people do. You said so. Fine. I disagree with the reasoning. Also fine. But I know what I meant when I typed it, and it was not intended to be disrespectful. If that's how you took it, then that is unfortunate on my part. Funny how language works. The whole point of this thread. Interesting.

skywalker, have you ever marched drum corps? It's totally fine if you haven't, but if the answer is "yes", I must say your feelings on the subject surprise me then.

I don't see how that's relevant to being a person who is not offended by calling a trumpet a trumpet, but since you asked, yes I marched in drum corps.

No I don't, actually. If you want to believe a certain thing, that is your right and I can respect that. That doesn't mean that I can't also inquire why you or anyone else thinks such a thing is so important. Hence, who cares? You said many people do. You said so. Fine. I disagree with the reasoning. Also fine. But I know what I meant when I typed it, and it was not intended to be disrespectful. If that's how you took it, then that is unfortunate on my part. Funny how language works. The whole point of this thread. Interesting.

OK, I misread and I apologize. Thanks for explaining.

Just another case where the same words could be taken in different ways. Especially when you can't hear the tome of voice or see the body language of the person talking. Like you said Language is funny.

Also no problems with your opinion or reasoning. My confusion is comes from people mixing the band (trumpet) and corps (bugle) terms in the same sentence. IE - I play Trumpet in a Bugle Corps. To me it's either one or the other, not both at the same time.

That's a very good question. If we're going to change the instrumentation, and name that instrumentation accurately, then it seems the activity's name is going to have to change right along with it.

Not necessarily, unless they choose to change it.

We still call it 'color guard', even though it's an anachronism.

We still call it 'drums', even though 'percussion' is a far more accurate term.

Percussion, Brass and Dance Ensemble?

I'd have no problem with that, though I have no problem just calling it Drum Corps either.

Mike