If I hear a soprano called a "trumpet"...

...and this is why DCA is where I'll be this summer. :)

I couldn't agree with you more!

I live half way between Foxboro and Scranton, and I made up my mind a few weeks ago that the Volvo will be headed west. DCA just posted a list of the Alumni corps that will be in Scranton......WOW!!!! .....Park and Bark at its Best. B)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh...OK, I will join the fray. Yes, it bothers me also to hear the references to trumpets and tubas despite the fact that is what is being used by today's corps. IMHO there was never a compelling reason to go B flat and probably not to add the third valve either.

It became an inevitability as drum corps instructional staffs went from enthusiastic hobbyists to professional mainstream musicians. I also think there is a very significant incentive for the instrument manufacturers to sell B flat instruments which they could sell at a greater profit margin than G bugles especially as the numbers of drum corps dwindled resulting in a decreased demand for this unique instrument.

I think that it is undeniable that drum corps evolved as unique and sheltered craft largely because of the key which insulated it from being consumed by the much larger marching band activity. The key created a unique set of circumstances which required the participant to make a special commitment to participate. That plus the emphasis on military bearing and toughness created the unique musical environment which elevated drum corps to the highest level of the marching art form. That difference is just less obvious now and I think that is sad for the future of the activity's role as the standard setter for the marching art form.

Fire away!

Edited by Geneva

Everyone has their own definition of "bugle". Mine happens to center around the spherical vs conical design. One shape (I get 'em confused) is more designed for musical tone (band horn). The other is designed to be heard a long way over the noise of a battle (IOW - freaking loud) (DC "bugle"). The more I read about the old valveless bugles the more I realize the the key meant very little "way back when". But changing from the "bugle shape" to the "band instrument shape" is the difference to me. *sigh*

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

I cannot understand why folks cannot see the similarities between bands and today's so-called drum corps...IMO they are close to being one and the same....trumpet line?...come on people![/color][/b]

I think that just about everyone sees the similarities...it's the individual's reaction to those similarities that makes for these discussions.

Mike

They arent in the top 12, but if you are really hooked on this "keeping it classic" thing then why dont you send more support towards the corps still using them....

Many people have been doing exactly that.

Don't they still call it "basketball" even though the ball isn't shot into a peach basket anymore? It's more like hoopball... I have always called a G Soprano a soprano. If I'm at camp and now where we use Bb Trumpets I call them trumpets most of the time but sopranos other times. It's pretty interchangeable. If it was an actual G bugle, then I always called it a soprano. I mean the trumpet still plays the soprano part so I guess you can call it that. We usually call the basses contras still but once and a while we call them tubas. I really never thought it was a big deal. It's all about making music, getting an education and having fun so as long as I am doing those 3 things, I could care less what they call my instrument.

Ditto... Also the different points where some say "They are similar" and other folks say "They are the same".

For us old phartes, it goes against everything we were ever taught to believe about drum corps.

it doesn't go against anything i learned about drum corps. i learned hard work, discipline, musicianship, precision, dedication, class and intensity. when i watch dci on the field today, i see all of those characteristics in abundance. never as a marching member was i told to be proud of playing in g or playing with only 2 valves - it just wasn't that much of an issue. however, all of the aspects i mentioned above were a critical part of every practice and every performance.

SCV 81-82