If I hear a soprano called a "trumpet"...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you remove yourself from the moment for a second, take a step back and take a real good look at why you are really getting so upset over calling an instrument what it is, you'll find that this reaction is actually quite ridiculous.

Sorry to break it to you, but they play trumpets and tubas now. And those kids have just as much an awesome experience in their corps as you did in your's. (And I guess it would also pain you to know that a "soprano" is really a G trumpet....but it is, and it always was!)

If you remove yourself from the moment for a second, take a step back and take a real good look at why you are really getting so upset over calling an instrument what it is, you'll find that this reaction is actually quite ridiculous.

Sorry to break it to you, but they play trumpets and tubas now. And those kids have just as much an awesome experience in their corps as you did in your's. (And I guess it would also pain you to know that a "soprano" is really a G trumpet....but it is, and it always was!)

I understand what you are saying and you are correct....but it was cool when kids in bands asked, "Soprano? What's that?" It was also cool (at least when I marched) the horn only had two valves. My students in marching band thought that was really unique! It was one of the many things that separated marching bands from drum corps.

I cringe everytime people say "twirling flags"...

You SPIN a flag...

You TWIRL a baton...

You SPIN a flag...

You TWIRL a baton...

And yet flags and rifles do twirling motions, not just spinning ones. In fact, flags and rifles borrowed a whole lot of twirling moves from batons. Some of the biggest advances in flag and rifle work actually originated with batons. And some pretty fine color guards--Blue Devils and Miller's Blackhawks are two who come to mind--have had amazing baton-twirling groups, too.

I've never had the same problem with that word, but many others do, so you're certainly not alone. . . .

Edited by byline

You SPIN a flag...

You TWIRL a baton...

Yep....got to agree with ya Sally! I guess for me having been in high school where there were "Twirlers".... we wanted to make sure people knew there was a difference between guard and Majorettes.

Yep....got to agree with ya Sally! I guess for me having been in high school where there were "Twirlers".... we wanted to make sure people knew there was a difference between guard and Majorettes.

We didn't have twirlers in high school, but we had them in college. And yeah, I certainly never wanted to be lumped into the same group. It's why I hated the short skirts we wore in my college guard, because it made us look so . . . well, girlie! And girlie was about the last thing I wanted to be in guard. I wanted to be tough, with maybe just a touch of femininity. But not exploiting it, the way twirlers did.

Still, really looking at the meaning of the words, I just don't have the same reaction now. If guards never did twirling motions, or never borrowed from batons, then I could see the point. But to me, it's kind of like being bothered by the use of the word trumpet or tuba . . . when they really are playing trumpet or tuba. Yes, it bugged me when those really were sopranos or contras, and people were being inaccurate with their wording. But that's no longer the case, with the instrumentation of many corps being converted to many of the more traditional band instruments.

I think what people are arguing against is not the wording, but the fact that this transition has, indeed, occurred. And I'm with you on that. But it doesn't negate the fact that the instruments have changed, and so the wording has to change along with them.