Things We'd Like to See

Thanks for mentioning us again!

You know, I watched the 94 video about a week after finals in 94.  I was saying in my usual fashion that I wished it had been cleaner, but that by the crowds reaction, it was fine.

He thought that the crowds reaction was for what we were doing, and not "how" we did it!  After I thought about it for a while, I had to agree with him.  I believe many in the crowd were saying "we like this kind of drum corps, we like this kind of show".  And hopefully it wasn't just sentimental, but truly the liking of what we did.

He also thought that for the amount of practice and rehearsing we did, we were very clean.....yes our highest throw in the rifle line was a quad (we had people that had last marched in 1971 all the way up to 94 winter guard-so we had to have a medium point where everyone would feel comfortable while still looking good. So I guess it's what you are taught and learn and work on.  I was very happy when Mr. Rondinaro or was it Mr. Cesario said "and no drops in that rifle line".

I've heard 94 BD was fabulous, I've only seen bits and pieces of it. 

Kudos to all that did the 94 gig, we came, we conquered, we left...the end.

:music:

I'm glad I was a part of 94. I taught the corps till the bitter end in 86. By that time I had just about forgotten how good and popular the corps was. By 86, we had become followers, not leaders. It was very discouraging. 94 brought back all those great feelings from the years I marched. I'll admit, I was worried that the crowd was not going to receive us well because drum corps was not the same as it was when we were around. I was afraid that maybe the crowd had grown beyond what we had to offer. But that was based upon my memories of the corps' last public performance at finals. Thankfully, I was very wrong.

I don't know how you felt Nancy, but I felt as that performance progressed the communication between us and the crowd grew. We fed off the crowd and they fed off of us. Something that I always tried to teach but couldn't explain. There comes a point where you just have to let it all out and feel what you're performing and let the crowd be a part of the performance.

So if I were to add to what I'd like to see, that's it. The performers and the crowd communicating with each other, feeding off each other. I don't think adding amps, woodwinds or whatever else is going to help in that area. IMO, it still comes down to how well the perfomers perform and how the crowd reacts to that performance. It does happen from time to time these days but from my experiences at recent shows, there is a distance. Almost a separation from what the corps' are performing and how the audience reacts. I think the ultimate goal of any performer is to bring the audience into what you're doing. The key is for the performers to understand and believe in what they are doing. Once that has been achieved, communicating that to the audience will happen. Yes, show design, does help, but the kids still gotta perform it.

O.K. my brain hurts.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is unfortunate! I wondered why they didn't add it as a bonus.

Helloooo? DCI, are you listening?

• 8 months later...

I know this is just a dream...but I'd love to see DCI and DCA open a judging category for "Historic Drum Corps". Find and/or train judges to use the tic system. No pit. No dance. No amp. Etc. Essentially 1965-1980 corps style. This might ultimately settle the never-ending debate of old-corps vs. modern corps.

We could probably judge by show attendance, applause meter comparisons, audio-video sales, souvie sales,etc. whether the fans prefer old or new. Some would say," oh, it could never happen. Too expensive. This excuse; that excuse, blah, blah, blah." BUT....you never know unless you try! B)

I know this is just a dream...but I'd love to see DCI and DCA open a judging category for "Historic Drum Corps". Find and/or train judges to use the tic system. No pit. No dance. No amp. Etc. Essentially 1965-1980 corps style. This might ultimately settle the never-ending debate of old-corps vs. modern corps.

We could probably judge by show attendance, applause meter comparisons, audio-video sales, souvie sales,etc. whether the fans prefer old or new. Some would say," oh, it could never happen. Too expensive. This excuse; that excuse, blah, blah, blah." BUT....you never know unless you try! B)

Good idea....it would also give smaller corps a chance to excell without the major expence of the pit... :laugh:

There ARE alumni corps that march, a la Cabs....some do more of a stand-still thing, a la the Skyliners.

They do great stuff....but I'm not sure they'd want to be ticked during their performances.... :)

Or do you mean junior corps...there are no junior corps of the type you are looking for.

Good idea but I would doubt if any of the judges today would have a clue what the tic system is and how to do it. Remember, you have to remember the symbols for each instrument, plus they'd have to be on the field and move around.

If you look at scores back then...sometimes you'd lose to a certain corps by 5 tenths and the next show beat them by 4 points. Those were fun days.

Remember when 27th reunion took the field in '94???

THAT's what I want to see more of. I though for sure when people saw that, judging by the crowd's reaction, that we might be seeing more of the older school type of entertainment...

-Unison guard work, what a concept!!!

-Guards that can outmarch the drumline.

-Guards that don't look like they're just back from a gay pride celebration.

-Having ALL MEMBERS of the corps march

If you need to mic and amp your garden weasel in order for me to hear it, then I don't need to hear it.

Guard "solo's" ...if the whole line can't do it, then I don't want to see it. I am so sick of seeing "jimmy" almost catching that 8.

Couldn't have said it better myself!