August 16, 1977

Boulder Colorado... I'll never forget Mike Mc Cool coming over to us and announcing that he had some very bad news. I think it was the day before prelims??? I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way, but it did kind of take the edge off of finals week.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting ready to go to a party with a bunch of drum corps members. I cheated on my girlfriend that night and got Mono soon after.

On my way to HS marching band rehearsal...heard the news on the car radio at the local 7-11...

(But of course, those news reports were all just a ruse...isn't Elvis alive and well and managing a Burger King somewhere?) B)

Getting ready to go to a party with a bunch of drum corps members.  I cheated on my girlfriend that night and got Mono soon after.

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH, you cad!!!!!!!!

That'll teach ya, always find out if they have mono first!!!!!

You should be lucky that's ALL you got!!!!! B)

OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH,  you cad!!!!!!!!

That'll teach ya, always find out if they have mono first!!!!!

You should be lucky that's ALL you got!!!!! B)

I just kissed the girl that was all!!!!

Elvis died on my 10th birthday. I was in Hyde Park NY at the time.

I was in lyons colo. with the velvet knights. when one the the corps moms told us at lunch.

I know this is a strange topic to put in the historical forums BUT this has to do with both drum corps and Elvis.

On August 17, 1977, I was walking past a newspaper dispensor and saw the headlines  "ELVIS IS DEAD". Needless to say I was stunned. I bought a paper and went back to our school where we were staying and put up the front page for all to see.

When the bulk of the corps came back from a shopping trip in Boulder Colorado, there wasn't a dry eye in the corps. It was the first rock star that a lot of us had a true affection for that had died. Every day someone would come back with a paper and hang it up for the rest to read. It's a good thing that we had finished our shows on that tour because no one felt like practising.

Where were you when you found out???    B)

Weren’t we all in Colorado preparing for DCI prelims?

No disrespect to Elvis, but a bigger question to me would be where were you the night you heard John Lennon was murdered? I was in the dorms at the University of Southern California watching Monday Night Football and we sat stunned.

Spectramur Adgendo