Eerie Moments

This happened in 1975 in (I believe) St. Clair Shores, MI

We (Royal Coachmen-NY) were competing at weekend shows in MI in May. We started our closer of "Garden of Gethsamine" from Jesus Christ Superstar when huge dark clouds came rolling in, the sky began to flash with lightning. We were able to finish the show and the chief judge told us to run for cover as the wind picked up considerably and then the Heavens opened up. Quite exciting!

No one had anything weird happen? I find that hard to believe!

How about the time in Illinois, staying at a home for troubled boys, we were housed with Emerald Knights and police come flying throught the parking lot chasing a kid who stole a car. He came to the right place hehehehe.

We were in Howell, Michigan (I think) in 1972 and staying at an army post. There were lots of jeeps, tanks and trucks for us to climb on, we were having a blast.

Then I heard a lot of sirens in the distance and commented to one of the other guys that there must be a big fire some where in the city, due to all the fire truck sirens.

Within thrity seconds there was about fifteen police and state trooper cars surrounding the post as well as a helicopter, then we heard the VOICE " Come on out with your hands up. You are completely surrounded, DO IT NOW !!!" :silly:

With that we completely froze and started looking around. These guys weren't fooling, they were all behind their squad cars with the double barrelled shot guns pointed in our direction. b**bs b**bs Some kids started to cry and there were numerous tough guys that had to go change their underwear. b**bs b**bs

We all got down and formed two lines everyone still with their hands raised to the moon. Our corps director comes out and says "What the #### is going on here !!"

THE VOICE yelled out "These people were trying to steal these vehicles!!" :worthy:

Our corps director looked at all the police vehicles and told the cop that he was crazy!! (Obviously not in those words but you get the hint.)

The police put their guns away and we received the verbal tongue lashing of my drum corps career. Apparently, one of the neighbors over heard one of the guys say that we should steal some of the tanks. " Not the kind of thing you want to say in a foreign country. :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh: :sshh:

Well since this has turned into a stolen vehicle thread :P

We practiced on an island in the Susquehanna River next to Harrisburg. One weekend a Harrisburg Public Works truck goes flying down a path on the edge of the island. About the time it took us to say "Way too fast" and "On a weekend?", two cop cars also go flying by. Few seconds later we hear THUD and can see the cop cars stop. Few minutes later here comes a cop with a 12-13 year old and both are shaking their heads. The kid is saying "I didn't do nuthin' wrong, I was only the lookout". The cop is saying "Guess again dumb###". Turns out the kid and his buddies found the keys in the trucks visor and went for a joy ride.

1979 we practiced at another part of the island during DCA Weekend. Few days later we found out there was a pipe bomb laying about 25 feet from where the drum line practiced. :sshh:

Edit: Just remembered this one. My first year was just before the cops cracked down on partying on the island. Guess they thought it was easier if most of it was in one spot. :P We would practice one side of the bridge and there would be a "green cloud" on the other side. Once in a while one of the stoners would get curious or lost and come visiting. If they didn't leave after a few minutes we'd point and say "Hey man, party's on that side". Most of the time we'd hear "Oh... Yeah.... Thanks" then they would leave.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

This happened in 1975 in (I believe) St. Clair Shores, MI

We (Royal Coachmen-NY) were competing at weekend shows in MI in May.  We started our closer of "Garden of Gethsamine" from Jesus Christ Superstar when huge dark clouds came rolling in, the sky began to flash with lightning.  We were able to finish the show and the chief judge told us to run for cover as the wind picked up considerably and then the Heavens opened up.  Quite exciting!

Sorry, we never competed in Erie... :rock:

Mike

Hey i was gonna say something about erie too but he beat me to the punch

Hey i was gonna say something about erie too but he beat me to the punch

....Speaking of....ERIE.....(shamless segue....) July 7th.........LAKE ERIE FANFARE....Veterans Memorial Stadium...........AND.........9 days later..........same venue...............AMERICAN SALUTE.........

Empire Statesmen

Syracuse Brigadiers

Rochester Crusaders

New York Skyliners

Kingston Grenadiers

Dansville White Sabers

Mon Valley Express

Exhibition: Steel City Ambassadors

Pipes & Drums of Erepa Grotto

.....and your host........The Erie Thunderbirds Alumni Corps'

(that's a lot of entertainment for 10 bucks (get your tickets NOW......)