Wildwood Show Review.....a little belated

Ok folks here we go. This is a review of what I saw and heard at the Hawthorne Caballeros Beach Party show is Wildwood NJ.

Weather……well perfect. The show was indoors at the Wild Wood convention center.

Corpsvets:

The corps has just about 40 horns 5 snare, 4 quint and 5 bass. The corps starts the show in a very interesting way with a quint solo. This is the first show ever that I have known that started with a quint solo. The quints did a good job and sounded like June condition. The hornline was pretty strong overall giving us the full brunt of their 40 or so brass. The opener ended quite strong with a good crowd response. A nice baritone soloist got things going for the 2nd tune. The marching was about where it should be in June but I did notice some not so straight lines in most of the square/box type forms that they made. This will get better with more practice. The color guard revealed really nice bright colored flags in the 2nd tune. It really added some impact to another strong brass statement. The end of the second tune blends real well in to Strawberry soup with a somewhat familiar soprano trio intro that was really well done. Strawberry Soup is a really fun tune and the Corpsvets really drove it home to conclude their first 2005 contest.

Crowd Reaction: The crowd liked the Corpvets tonight and especially voiced its approval at the conclusion of their Don Ellis musical show. Thanks for making that long 16 hour or so trip to NJ. I liked ya a lot and look forward to seeing you again.

Empire Statesmen:

Now on the field the defending 2004 DCA World Champions. Empires show starts out with some nice backfield playing by the hornline which led in to a very strong top DCA corps hit. I kept being attracted to the drumline which seemed to be really driving and strong for June. Something else that grabbed my attention was the fine job that the sabers (Color guard) were doing. The sabers really shinned at the conclusion of the opener with a big toss and a no-drop catch. To me….thats drum corps at its best. When all sections pump it out all at once at the end of a tune. The second tune brought us some excellent solo soprano work from 3 play-only members on the sideline. These 3 guys will definitely be mentioned many times throughout the season. They really project and play some exciting stuff. From a marching perspective the corps moved fairly well. There were some individual mental marching errors (Changes of direction) and there seemed to be some spots where the corps wasn’t moving. I think there is some drill planned for these sections. Good familiar music arranged in a really pleasing manner.

Crowd Reaction: The corps was very well received to say the least. The corps (Like the Corpsvets) really drove the conclusion of the show home to a rousing standing O.

Brigadiers:

Next up was the second corps from upper NY state. The show starts with a soprano soloist and the rest of the hornline exchanging music back and forth. It’s a pretty cool effect but it seemed that the timing was off going in to the first major musical hit. Something I noticed right away was how well the rifle and saber lines were doing. I am starting to think that there something unique in the water in upper NY state that the color guard members have been drinking up there. A really fine job with the tosses and with a big toss right towards the end of the opener. The drumline was also pretty strong with some good chops during the drum feature. Marching was ok with some individual mental errors. The one thing the Brigs did not do tonight was finish the show with a real tight and strong statement. Because of that the show seemed to end abruptly but the crowd still gave up a good response.

Crowd Reaction:

The corps played some nice toe tapping tunes that are sure to excite and entertain the crowds this summer. They did not get quite as much crowd response as Empire.

Buccaneers:

Well……this will be the corps to watch out for this coming drum corps season. I had read a few weeks ago about how well the corps was doing so I was not totally shocked when I saw the super solid statement they made here in Wildwood. This corps is definitely going to be the corps to beat. The hornline plays with a really nice dark sound in the opener that really shook the crowd. The corps is also sporting new uniforms this season. The corps marched with more confidence than the others and moved most of the time. Along with the big hornline was a big and strong drumline. In the color guard department it seemed that the flags were the strongest overall with the rifles and sabers missing a few tosses. What really got the crowd excited was the build to the HUGE LONG hit in Adagio (The corps ballad). The hit in the ballad brought a standing O by the crowd (You don’t see that from a DCI crowd) The last tune was Young Persons Guide and it seems that there are some phasing/timing issues. They probably haven’t been working quite as much on this fairly difficult tune. The show ended with a rousing ovation.

Crowd Reaction:

Well….the crowd went absolutely crazy and not surprising considering the performance that the Bucs put out tonight. As I said….they are the corps to beat right now…no one else is in their league.

Caballeros:

The Caballeros competing corps performed in exhibition tonight. They have approx 10 more horn players learning drill that were not able to march yet hence the reason that were not ready to compete. The corps presented their opener, which has a lot of suspense building. The drumline seemed really strong and full as did the color guard. The opener is fast-paced. Once the corps has there full complement of members they are going to be just fine with approx. 46 horns. Looking forward to seeing them grow all season long. Never count the Cabs out of anything.

Jersey Surf:

The Jersey Surf is brining us another very exciting/entertaining show this season. All of the tunes are recognizable and are arranged in a unique way. The hornline had a very good overall sound and really shinned in the ballad….Send in The Clowns.

Listen at the end of Send in the Clowns how they introduce the next tune 1812…..really nice. The drumline was also strong and the pit was quite strong also. The corps marches pretty good but need some attention with carriage and posture.

Crowd Reaction:

A well deserved excitable reaction tonight. There was so much to enjoy with this strong early season showing from the Surf.

Caballeros Alumni:

Well folks…..all I can say about the Cabs alumni is that they completely blew the roof of the place with there sound. They sported approx. 64 horns and came off the end zone in a fairly straight line all the way to 50 yardline. The corps is playing a couple of new tunes and once of them is MacAurthur Park. This tune is the corps concert number and was played real well at this early June gig. The corps received several very deserving standing ovations. Drums, horns, color guard and honor guard all did a fine job. They’re well on their way of being the best Cabs Alumni corps yet.

Great show by all......

Triple Forte

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crowd Reaction: The crowd liked the Corpvets tonight and especially voiced its approval at the conclusion of their Don Ellis musical show. Thanks for making that long 16 hour or so trip to NJ. I liked ya a lot and look forward to seeing you again.

For those who haven't been, Wildwood is an unbelievably unique venue. It was every bit as enjoyable as we were told it would be, and the town of Wildwood and N Wildwood is charming. It was a fun warmup (speaking for myself/battery, anyway) and fun show. Hope to be there again soon, and I look forward to more northern viewers when we're in Kingston NY in early August. Not sure if we're on first there... but don't be late!

Thanks for the review. Almost all the groups seemed ahead of schedule for June visually. Maybe my expectations were too low but I was pleasantly surprised throughout the night. My only issue is that it was very hard to really hear the musical performance due to the massive concrete room the show was in. I think my ears may still be bleeding. Not that I didn't like the volume, but with the amount of echo in the room there was no clarity so it made it hard to discern articulation etc.

• 3 months later...

It will be hear sooner than you think.

which one is Mack's? :beer: