The Orange Bowl. Thank GOD DCI forgot this one!

Actually, there's really nothing much more to add. I think the topic says it all.

Actually, there's really nothing much more to add. I think the topic says it all.

Miami sucks in August and Atlanta was not much better. Hot and sweaty!

Isn't June to November HURRICAINE SEASON in that part of the country !!  b**bs 

I marched there twice in the Cadets....1970 VFW Nats were held there, and in 1971 on our way to Dallas for VFW's we stopped over in Miami to play a Dolphin/49'e pre-season 1/2 time, and spent a week at a private school in the area rehearsing for VFW's.

1970 we had no rain on us (VERY hot though!).

At our 1971 performance it POURED on us at the 1/2-time. There was a picture of our timpani section on the front page of the main Miami paper the next day with sheets of water just bouncing off of the timps.

Every day at rehearsal we would watch a dark cloud with sheets of rain make it's way into the area, move slowly towards us, deluge on top of us, and then recede into the distance. It turned hot and dry into hot and humid!

:P

Mike

I was there for the 1970 VFW's. That was a great show.

Our little corps stayed in the same hotel with Boston Crusaders.

Those guys were insane. (I mean that in great way)

The Orange Bowl had astro turf back then. It must be falling apart by now.

orange bowl currently has real grass, but yes, it's hurricane season right now. with the horrible acoustics and the way it sucks up your sound, we hope every year it'll get too demolished by a hurricane to repair and they'll have to build a new one, but so far no luck :worthy:

--U. Miami Hurricane who is all too familiar with performing in the Orange Bowl

I was there for the 1970 VFW's. That was a great show.

Our little corps stayed in the same hotel with Boston Crusaders.

Those guys were insane. (I mean that in great way)

The Orange Bowl had astro turf back then. It must be falling apart by now.

I don't know who footed the bill, but we stayed on the Miami Beach strip in a REAL nice hotel...somehow the Fountainbleu springs to mind.

I remember walking from the hotel to the bus to the show site wearing big bags on our feet to keep from scuffing our white bucks before inspection. :P

I seem to remember it being astroturf at the time myself, though I guess it is real grass now.

Mike

I don't know who footed the bill, but we stayed on the Miami Beach strip in a REAL nice hotel...somehow the Fountainbleu springs to mind.

I remember walking from the hotel to the bus to the show site wearing big bags on our feet to keep from scuffing our white bucks before inspection.    :P

I seem to remember it being astroturf at the time myself, though I guess it is real grass now.

Mike

In 1970, you stayed in Sunny Isles; several miles and many dollars away from the Fontanbleu, but at least on the beach. I was your local guide/gopher. Riding in the same wagon with Bobby Hoffman, Hugh Mahon, and George Tuthill for 4 days gave me a lifetime of hilarious memories.

The Dolphin gig was courtesy of the late Dick Klund, Dolphin halftime co-ordinator, Miami Vanguards business manager, and a high-ranking PR guy for the Miami Hearld.

Mahon had a great story about being DM at '60 Nationals in the OB, while he was recovering from some respiratory surgery. I'm sure it was miserable at the time, but he had a whole comedic routine about it.

That was my first year (83), and we stayed at Coral Park, near a highway. we were told it rained every day at 4 and by gum, it sure did. I remember very little about the week, but I hated the Orange Bowl. Ugly building, ugly neighborhood, ugly feeling after being shafted all 2nd tour.

How, he wondered, does it stack up to Jackson ten years later?

Tom Shea

Knights 83-88

www.tomshea.blogspot.com

Edited by tommytimp