Long Beach Review

Yeah, I figured the black outfits were "temporary". (How long does it take to get some costumes made?) Given your reaction, I thought maybe their real costumes had arrived and were hideous!

Crossing my fingers that the real outfits show up soon!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, their guard uniforms aren't in yet. But Ryan, I agree with you, yes! I am a BIG SCV fan, and I've been waiting for months to see this show. And man, I was disappointed. Musically I thought it was very solid and they actually sound a bit better than last year. But sadly I don't think this show has what it takes to make Top 5, muchless win. I loved a lot of the little things they did, like the 1917 to CCCP to USSR, but at the same time, in the back of my mind I thought to myself "That doesn't look like something a Top 5 corps would do." Also if you noticed, when Russian X-Mas Music was played in the end, they played basically the same arrangement as the 1987 version, even with some of the visuals from 87 as well! I really hope they can pull through and make the Top 5 again, but if this show doesn't get better (and if those guard uniforms don't come in), I have a feeling it'll be the first time SCV falls out of the Top 5 in 10 years. :(

BTW, another superb job with the announcing Ryan!

Maybe it's the curse of playing Match grip. Really interesting that when they played Match grip in 94 and 95 and placed 5th and 6th. Just a thought. :P

Another thing, in 94 they had a Russian Theme show, and they played 1987's closer (Great Gate of Kiev) at the end of the 94 show. Again, Just a thought. :P

Jeffe

Maybe it's the curse of playing Match grip. Really interesting that when they played Match grip in 94 and 95 and placed 5th and 6th. Just a thought.  :P

Another thing, in 94 they had a Russian Theme show, and they played 1987's closer (Great Gate of Kiev) at the end of the 94 show. Again, Just a thought.  :P

Jeffe

'95 was their strangest show ever (anyone disagree?) and so the weirdness of the matched grip sort of fit in. But why would you do a Russian show and use a legendary, traditional-sounding Vanguard piece with matched grip???

Could be the curse of "tradition". The curse of bringing back the old; I mean, they brought back Russian X-Mas, they brought back match grip...they even brought back the white pants, but in a different style. They were getting killed in '92 when they did "Fiddler" and brought back a lot of the old stuff.

I think (could be wrong) that match grip is being used in the sense of "bringing back the old", the nostalgia and such, just like the music and the red & white uniform.

94 is a great show! 95 is too. 95 is definitely weird, but it's strange how these two shows were placed so low, and are just SO good! I'm in love with 94 right now...one of my new summer hits.

JESTER--this is directed SOLELY at those in charge of Jester, and not the kids themselves.  This is a CLASSIC case (and irritatingly so) of giving TOO much for the skill level of the kids.  PERIOD.  You want to grow Jester and knock it up a level, start getting realistic with what you can DO, not what you WANT to do.  I felt really bad for the kids.  WAY above their heads.  Constant struggle throughout the show which showed bad programming, and apparently either not enough rehearsal time or inefficient rehearsal.  This set me in a mood to be sure for the rest of the night.

[

Ryan, I wholeheartedly agree with you about Jester. This seems to be the staff's perception of a "top 12 wannabe" show that does the corps a great disservice. Those kids can't be having fun out there, and that's no way to build a new corps and retain membership. They should be doing something that's light, accessible, fun and has the potential to entertaining at beginner's performance levels. The show also needs to be grounded in teaching the kids the fundamentals of drum corps. You've got to crawl before you can walk.

Additionally I'm not sure what the marketing strategy is for this corps ... A name like Jester suggests something light and fun, along the lines of a VK/Impulse brand. Their show spiel lays out a concept that sounds like Goethe meets Kirkegaard in the Valley of the ######, and the music is quasi-classical in nature. Name+Image == Audience expectation of product. In this case, not so much.

The one thing they DID do right is the uniform design ... Bright and Colorfull that will stand out in daylight. I'm tired of seeing newer corps, who will probably never be seen under lights at night, wearing black-and-spangled costumes that get sucked into the field in daylight.

ryan. gotta say. i think your review of the LBC show is totally wack. you're harshing on some really great kids - in an early season show. the fact that kids see these same shows that you knock, LOVE what they see, and then go join the corps actually does mean that their choice, and the activity in general, is part of your criticism.

in the end, to each his own. like what you like, and tell the world about it if you must. but for some reason (and maybe it's just me) the announcer-staff-reviewer is perhaps one too many hyphenates.

how do you go about hyping a corps that's about to step off the line then go home and write these withering reviews - or do you write them while you're in the box?

i love drum corps. i love the dirty drill, the ridiculous guard costumes, the over-ambitious programming, the chances that are taken, the mistakes that are made, the sunburns that everybody gets, even the half-crazy announcers that flub the names. it's what IT is - what it always has been - and the gods willing, what it will always be.

I use to go to all So Cal shows to support the activity, even during the period I could not stand drum corps.  This year I am going to two shows.  If one were not within a mile of my house, it would have been one.  I am tired of not having enough quality corps to watch, and sometimes what the quality corps perform is simply not entertaining.  BD - C is cute, but I am not going to sit in two hours of traffic, pay $100 for four tickets to see them.  Moreover, the shows, as a package, simply are not very entertaining to me.  I only continue to go and watch the one or two corps that I really want to see.  I will probably go to DCI if it comes to the West Coast, but BD taking off to Europe, Japan, Russia, or any other destinations they decide to go means they do not come to So Cal.  They should decide if they are going to be in DCI or if they are going pro like Star.  Also, every other year they take SCV or BD up on a Washington swing and we do not get to see them down here.

I am probably not the only person that has decided to decrease the number of So Cal shows I go to every year.  The dinosaurs that buy tickets are dying of boredom.

I agree with you 100%. I also am attending fewer and fewer shows with each passing year for many of the same reasons you have stated above. DCI and BD, please take note. This may be the future of the activity in not only SoCal, but the entire country if this trend countiues. Let the flames begin.

'95 was their strangest show ever (anyone disagree?) and so the weirdness of the matched grip sort of fit in. But why would you do a Russian show and use a legendary, traditional-sounding Vanguard piece with matched grip???

Gimme a break!

I knew it would only be a matter of time before people started blaming matched grip for any problems they would have.

:(

P.S.- There is no such thing as a "curse" of playing Matched Grip.

Edited by LuvsPAisTe

ryan.  gotta say.  i think your review of the LBC show is totally wack.  you're harshing on some really great kids  - in an early season show.  the fact that kids see these same shows that you knock, LOVE what they see, and then go join the corps actually does mean that their choice, and the activity in general, is part of your criticism.

in the end, to each his own.  like what you like, and tell the world about it if you must.  but for some reason (and maybe it's just me) the announcer-staff-reviewer is perhaps one too many hyphenates. 

how do you go about hyping a corps that's about to step off the line then go home and write these withering reviews - or do you write them while you're in the box?

i love drum corps.  i love the dirty drill, the ridiculous guard costumes, the over-ambitious programming, the chances that are taken, the mistakes that are made, the sunburns that everybody gets, even the half-crazy announcers that flub the names.  it's what IT is - what it always has been - and the gods willing, what it will always be.

Post of the year IMHO.

I could not agree more.

in the end, to each his own.  like what you like, and tell the world about it if you must.

Well, I agree with this point anyway.

Ryan - keep the reviews coming. I for one would much rather hear an honest opinion than just sugar coating everything. Constructive criticism is much more helpful than 'good job, nice to see and hear you, thanks for stopping by'. I thought your review was great - and just what is needed.