Pacific Procession Review

On the spur of the moment, I decided to blow some frequent flyer miles & go to California yesterday for Pacific Procession. I was certainly rewarded for the effort. After a very difficult year for me personally, last night proved to be a salve of emotional joy and renewal as the live power of drums & brass coursed through my veins again. For those who haven't made a trek west to see the West Coast corps as a group, you are missing out. For perspective in my review, I marched back in 1990, and then was on staff the following year for Black Gold in Oklahoma. I've been to finals every year starting in 1989, I have lots of friends who work in the activity, and it is a life long love of mine.

First, the weather was part of the reason I went (to get out of the Texas heat), and it was spectacular last night. Nice & cool, with a clear sky. Watching the sun set on the hills during the show reminded why it's called the Golden State. Just beautiful. It was great to see this show back at SJSU's Spartan Stadium, so you didn't have to look into the sun. By the time I landed at SFO, and got over to the stadium, it was about 6:30 and I was dumbstruck to see a line a block long to get tickets. At this point I was thinking - great, I'm only going to get to see 1/2 a show. Then after waiting about 5 minutes (very impatiently, I might add) while the line hardly moved, a moment happened that told me this trip was exactly what I had needed. A gentlemen came walking down the line with ONE ticket for sale, 8 rows up in the upper deck, right on the 50. WOW. I couldn't believe it. Any doubts I had about the wisdom of making the trek were instantly evaporated. With a spring now in my step, I rushed inside, and got to the tunnel upstairs just in time to see...

Fever --- You give me Fever! (LOL, yes, I'm sure they've heard that about a million times). What an amazing package for a newer corps. The show is a bit esoteric & non melodic (The small California corps have not seemed to notice the trend back to more accessible shows in DCI yet), but the hornline had considerable power, and marched quite well. This show could definitely challenge for Div II honors in Providence. Color Guard was sharp. It was also refreshing to see a unique color combination on the field with the corps uni being grey, with orange & maroon (it looks better than it sounds). I'll never complain about any corps that isn't in the dreaded black pants. Perhaps because I WAS standing in the tunnel, although with a great view, the show did not connect with me as well as it could have, but I think it will grow on me if I get a chance to see it again. Not sure I will though thanks to DCI'S CONTINUED BONEHEADED APPROACH TO SCHEDULING DIV II/III CHAMPIONSHIPS DURING FINALS WEEK.) Bring back the grand finale for II/III, along with opening ceremonies on Wednesday night, PLEASE.

BDB -- The B corps from Concord held up the BD banner well for this show while big brother is away in Europe. A terific opening set (Seems like something Glassmen should be in, with groups of 3 outlining a giant triangle, point towards the audience, streched from 10 yard line to 10 yard line. Yep, they are pretty big. Musically? Ehh. They are good, but the music didn't reach out and grab me either. The whole corps is very well trained in body carriage & marching -- obviously a result of their BD roots. It's been an overused phrase, but it is like the watching the next generation of Blue Devils in action. The color guard was uniformed like the A corps was in 2003, and performed nicely for a young group. I was, however surprised by their gap over Fever & SCV Cadets. In retrospect, though, in thinking about visual execution & drum line (they have a terrific, exciting percussion feature), I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. In checking the recaps after writing this part, BDB had a huge edge in GE visual and a gigantic edge in percussion, so there you go. Have to say the judges got those captions right.

SCV Cadets -- Many have said this is a down year for the cadet corps, and after viewing them I would have to agree somewhat. However, I'm guessing their show has grown quite a bit in the past few weeks, as I enjoyed it quite a bit. Musically, I thought their offering was much more interesting than that of either Fever or BDB, yet no more accessible, if that makes any sense. Angry & dissonant in places just like the late nineties, early 2000s for their parent corps. Some obvious maturity issues in horn sound and marching, and the guard was a major step back from Fever -- ultimately forming the gap in score between the 2 corps. Color Guard must just be an organization-wide challenge for Vanguard this year (more on that later). Their drill just might be better than the "A" corps from Vanguard though (again, more on that later).

Ok, that led us up to the break (Very sorry to have missed BDC, Renegades & River City Regiment). I still don't understand why Renegades have to go on so early out here. Doesn't seem right, but DCI seems intent on keeping it that way. I took the chance to hit the souvie stands. Not much of interest I see this year from SCV (they need some new thinking in their Souvies), but saw several cool Tshirts I had to grab from my favorite corps (I guess I've adopted them since my own corps folded) -- Regiment. That concluded the break and on to the Division I part of the show. Even without BD here, still a terrific Div I lineup for California, with 6 solid shows.

Seattle Cascades -- If I remember right, they opened the 2nd half of the show. Quite an impressive opening weekend for the Seattle crew. Many in the crowd were surprised with their placement tonight not being higher, but I do have to say that sitting up high, while the show is very ambitious, it is very dirty right now. They have the program, both musically (very cool music for the most part) and visually to make it back to top 12, but whether or not they can clean it up enough in 6 weeks -- YES, FOLKS, THAT'S ALL WE HAVE LEFT -- remains to be seen. They will definitely be a threat though. The airplane constuction scene is kind of cool, and builds well both musically & visually, although I think I did not find it as awesome as some other reviewers did on Friday night. Perhaps it wasn't as cleanly done tonight? Who knows. They do need to work on tightening up the alignment of the props to pull the effect completely off. My biggest quibble with this show is some of the color schemes in the guard silks & uniforms. I don't know, but I guess I just don't picture a bunch of Neon greens, oranges, pinks & yellows in a "flight" show. The plane props (the flag like props, not the acutal plane outline parts) didn't particularly work well for me either. ONE FINAL NOTE: FOR GOODNESS SAKES, LOSE THE NARRATION. IT'S THE WORST EFFORT YET IN THAT REGARD AND IT IN PLACES KILLS TREMENDOUS MOMENTS ON THE FIELD. I don't care if it's in the original symphonic piece. It's awful, plain and simple. I didn't see one person in the crowd around me who liked it at all. Still, all & all, Seattle's best corps since 2002.

Esperanza -- This seems to be a somewhat off year for Esperanza. Back in 2003, this seemed to be like a corps on a mission to be the next top 12 challenger, but their momentum seems to have slowed just a bit. Biggest drop for them appears to be the color guard. They just don't have the powerhouse guard they've had in years past. Musically, the show is OK, nothing really memorable though. Again, the West Coast seems to be slow to follow DCI's recent trend of more accessible shows. Marching execution seemed to be somewhat off for this corps in comparison to the past few years as well. Still, an enjoyable show, well performed. I don't see this corps making Semis this year, though, or seriously challenging for them. A very nice drum line, though.

Pacific Crest -- I really liked their "Liquid" show. I thought it was very well done. They have their most demanding drill design to date (Not saying too terribly much, I know), yet are marching relatively well considering their limited rehersal time. Their music is perfect for the show & you can really "feel" the undulating water at times. The mirrors towards the end didn't do much for me though, and don't seem to add much to the show. Lots of GE Music in this show though, as I've come to expect from PC. Great to see the white pants on the corps. Unlike Cascades, PC's Guard color schemes seemed to go with the show PERFECTLY. A very strong guard performance. I can see how they were beating SCV earlier in the season in Guard. This corps has a good shot at making Semis if they go to Boston (not sure if they are or not?).

Mandarins -- Wow. Lots of GE, great music, and a powerful hornline. While their 2005 show really doesn't have any asian influence, which is strange to see (a non character year for them - must be a trend in DCI this year). I have to say I really miss their unique drum feature style this year. However, I really liked it. Lots of passion & intensity in their "Loves me, Loves me Not" show. Color guard gave a solid performance, as did the drum line. The horn line is the eye catcher for this corps though. 7 contras is probably a record high for them (someone Friday said they have 8, but there were only 7 on the field tonight), and across the board, the horn line was easily the deepest, darkest & most powerful they've ever, ever had. Still lots of room to grow this show as well, with some not so good tone quality & edge coming out of the hornline in places, for example. I could see this corps challenging for about that 14th or 15th spot this year -- they are that good.

SCV -- When this show was announced, I cannot tell you how excited I was back in the offseason. And musically, it's a very good show -- although I have to say RCM should be the opener. It doesn't work nearly as well as a closer IMO. The brass line is outstanding. They have a terrific, meaty book and have the deepest most powerful sound I've heard out of them since 2000. I like the return to the white pants/red jacket combo, although with the higher jacket height, the long white pants look a little odd. Maybe it's just the absence of any green in the uni? That's about where the positive impressions of SCV end for me, though. Marching technique wise, this is the weakest SCV corps of the last 10 years. A poorly timed coincidence to the return to the white pants, as it exposes it more - but the white pants are not causing the poor technique or sloppy marching on what is a very simple, low demand visual book. I understand they have made lots of changes to the drill. But I don't think it should be impacting things like body carriage & feet that much? SCV has really moved away from their trademark marching style the last few years, and it's sorely missed. The drill itself is shockingly lackluster for SCV. (Did Rosander really write this? If so, his worst drill possible since the Carmen drill in 1990). Even when the pace Finally picks up past 180 bpm towards the end of RCM, the drill never goes anywhere. Remember the substandard Regiment drills of 2000-2002? If you do, now you understand SCV's drill problems. In fact, this show reminds me in some ways of the Regiment "wheels came off" year in 1998. Cool show concept, with great music, but a poor visual design, and not executed well visually at all, all in coincidence with staff changeover. Certainly a better horn line though than that comparison, and a much better guard. I don't like the guard outfits. They seem far too plain. The guard is not very noticeable in the show, which by all accounts is an improvement from where they were a couple of weeks ago. I hate the change in percussion style for SCV. Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. Why mess with core components of your identity that have always worked. Seems absolutely jarring to see snares down at their knees. BOO! Ok, now all that said, I do still like this show -- A LOT. I hope the kids & staff don't give up on it. I would be shocked at this point to see them make top 5, and they may have a hard time staying in top 7, much less top 6. They have the potential to be one of my favorte musical shows of the year. Unless Bluecoats or Scouts peak out early though, I have a hard time seeing SCV come in higher than 7th unless they have an entirely new visual program that they can insert AND CLEAN in 6 weeks. One other note. A cool 4th of July quirk, there were fireworks a few blocks away that went off during SCV's show. Kind of a cool extra effect.

Phantom Regiment -- I have to admit that going into this show the jury was out for me on whether I would like the style change in music. In a way it still is, but I really dig this show! It's fresh, exciting and very high energy. It is a very different take on Gershwin than the Scouts took, but maybe since I didn't see Madison live in 1985, that doesn't bother me as much as some. It seems most of those who don't like Regiment's music book this year were around in 85 to see Madison in person. This Gershwin show is somewhat "Regimentized", but in some ways it's not Regiment at all. The trademark dark sound is really not there this year, despite the 14 contras. You can blame that on the arrangements, perhaps? The Baris/ Euphs are uncharacteristically in the background as well. Strange to see a Regiment show almost completely dominated by sopranos (I refuse to use the "other" word for them) and Mellos. Yet, the music book also works, surprising well for me. This is a fun show, that Regiment seems to be starting to make their own. How much they can let loose & sell the style by finals will have a huge impact on their placement. I could see them challenging the top 3 or having to fight hard to fight off the Madison/Bluecoat surge for 4th depending on how they do. The drum line is smoking. I wish they were featured a bit more. And wow -- Regiment finally has a color guard for the first time since 1997 (apart from a pretty solid guard in 2002). Adam Sage has made a world of difference. Color schemes are brilliant. (Someone said Cesario did them, don't know about that). I had read that they were ultimately going to have 4 different costume (don't know about that either), but at the moment they are still just in the beautiful blue dresses for the whole show. The Gene Kelly guy is very good, but gone from the show before you know it. They seem to finding some very effective things to do with the umbrellas, as well. I think I will grow to love this show just as I do most Regiment shows (yes, I'm biased), but for different reasons. I hope this isn't a permanent stylisticaly change, but for a year, it could turn out to be a gas - pure joy & fun, or should I say... RHAPSODY? (ugh, lol, sorry for that one). The certainly deserved the dominating gap in score above SCV from my upper deck view.

All in all, a terrific night for drum corps. I moved down low for what I THOUGHT would be SCV's encore and ended up sitting by a gentlemen who had marched back in the 60s and had not seen a show in almost 40 years. I think his senses were completely overwhelmed. He had tons of questions, but obvioiusly (hopefully) seemed to have enjoyed himself tonight. The only disappointment of the show was this -- NO ENCORE!!! I really don't understand that at all. SCV's home show & no concert from Vanguard? The crowd was NOT happy. And neither was I. I was so looking forward to Masquerade & Send in the Clowns. There were scattered boos & much disgust over the absence of a concert. I also hate the absence of full retreat, but come on! Taking away an encore concert as well? DCI is going to far in this one in forgetting the fans. Now it could be that there was a noise curfew or something, but if that was the case, they certainly should have explained it.

Well, there you have it. I apologize for the extremely long review, but what can I say? It was my first show of the season & I'm on a drum corps high. Consider my soul renewed. A one day trip to California that was worth it's weight in GOLD.

Harvey Phelps

Edited by TexasPRfan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UGGG. Anybody know how to change a topic title? All that hard work writing, and I messed up Pacific Procession! LOL

Thanks, Ace!

Thanks for such a great and thorough review. Based on its merits, you could have spelled "Procession" any ol' way you wanted and I wouldn't have cared. :) I'm glad to hear that seeing a drum corps show rejuvenated you. Thanks for writing!

very nice reveiw!

per phantoms guard,costuming design is by the great tommy keenum and adam sage,and i am told there will be more variations to come!

I was there too...MAN I WANNA MARCH RENEGADES SO BADLY AFTER WATCHING THAT SHOW...

Is it me, or can someone clue me in, where does the dude in the Phantom Regiment guard go in the last half of the show, I just kinda lost him on the field. regiment is smokin that show very well so far, but I do see room for enhancements. Call it "regiment" touches.

SCV was a bit of a dissapointment though, the low brass, which was such a strong point last season, kinda dissapears in this edition.

It's a darn shame I can't go to any other shows this year, but I will rely on this board to keep me in the know.

Harvey--Nice to see you writing! You're a great reviewer! As usual...