This Will Return Drum Corps to Glory

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly? most fans dont want to be educated. they wanted to be entertained. do you go to NASCAR to learn what makes the resistor plate so important? do you go to see a MLB game to learn why fastballs pitched on the seam have more pop than those pitched off the seam?

no. you go to be entertained.

I'd argue that one's sense of entertainment is at least moderately subjective. The things you and I call entertainment are obviously different. But so might be the things you and I call art. Star '93, SCV from the mid '90s to 2003, Cavaliers 2001-2003, most Glassmen shows that I've seen...I would consider those to be art. Striving to break new ground. But they were also very respected shows, for the most part, and have large fan bases, so I wouldn't necessarily say they were driving the audiences away. What we get out of them may be different, but we enjoy them all the same.

(For the record, though, I did thoroughly enjoy Not the Nutcracker.)

I think everyone will come the agreement one way or another. Everyone wants good music, everyone wants to be wowwed by drill, everyone wants to the kids having an educational experience. I have always like phantom, not cause their shows are the greatest, but they always have a challenge to overcome when choosing classical music for programming. Everyone knows that Jazz and Classical are the two forms that are soooo difficult to pull off. For me, I would love to see DCI return to the form it was in around 1992. Where the top 12 was extremely solid!!! Every show was understood and crammed with GE and the drill may not be the greatest, but it was really hard for the most part. I don't think anyone will say they completely hated or was disgusted by a show that year. I think that is apparent by the number of fans shown on the video from finals night.

Entertainment should be first and foremost. I'm entertained. So are many people I know. It's what many of us want. Others aren't. I think that's pretty much how it goes with any form of entertainment.

I find it funny that the some people put what they want above what anybody else wants, all the while accusing others of doing the same thing. They act like they're fighting the good fight for the good of all, (even the kids who despite the evils of drum corps, are still marching, I guess against their will since they are championed by amp-haters ;)) but the self-centerdness that fuels their statements about corps directors, corps themselves, their members, and their fans, is pretty obvious. The sheer joy that some people have for a certain corps NOT receiving applause shows that, among other things. I'm obviously not talking about all of the anti-amp people here, many of whom voice their displeasure respectfully and with real consideration of the kids.

I don't blame people for being upset about changes and voicing their disapproval, but please, don't act like what you want is more important than what anybody else wants.

Edited by KingMargeret

If only it were possible. I have some friends that I try to show 70s and 80s drum corps to, and they hate it, no matter how much I try telling them what they're missing.

But you're right, everybody needs to get what we want. :)

We all need to get what we want. :P  :blink:

But the Rolling Stones told me I can't. :sshh:

I'd argue that one's sense of entertainment is at least moderately subjective.

People go to Sea World, watch the seals flap their flippers together and make noise...they're entertained.

People go to the home run derby, watch 41 balls fly out of the park...they're impressed.

People go to a performing arts event looking for something different...

I don't need cute tricks (although VK could probably pull off a barking seal)...I don't need to know how fast the kids can run or how many notes they can play - that does impress me....but I want some sort of emotional connection with the performers. Why are the Cadets' encore performances generally so popular? Look at the kids' faces, look at the audience...there's communication, a connection, there. I can't speak for others, but I feel most "entertained" after a corps has made me feel as much as part of the performance as the members themselves.

Of most importance through the entire show was the music.  "But what about the visual of the rotating company front?"  YES.  I totally agree.  It was awesome, but not MOST important.  When we reflect on these greatest drum corps shows - even to the most recent years - the best shows are with the best music AND the music  most true to the original.

To anyone who says visuals are JUST as or more important, I ask you.....how many times do you watch a drum corps Video or DVD with the sound turned off???? Would you ever? no.

How many of you buy drum corps CDs, MP3s, etc and LISTEN to teh shows without WATCHING them????

WHY? becuase you listen and imagine the visual...you don't watch and imagine the audio............

visuals are cool, but music wins!

Why can't it be both art and education?  In fact, when you put it that way, how can it be art and not be education?  The number of pieces and composers the marching arts have introduced me to is staggering.  I typed out a full paragraph listing some of these but I'm not going to bore you.  Suffice it to say that a good many corps inspired me to track down the original recordings of pieces they played, and to try other pieces by certain composers, and I'm a better musician for that.  I wouldn't have half the exposure, the education, I have without drum corps, and some of the shows...most of the shows, even...that I gleaned these things from aspired to be art, in my mind, at least.  Some will say I'm in the minority.  They're probably right.

I can't agree more. I would have never of heard of Dvorak, Wagner or Shostakovich had it not been for drum corps. I majored in music in college and was far more advanced in my knowledge in music selection because of drum corps, my professors were impressed. So I think it can be and has been both!