What are the most difficult pieces of music

The mere ramming of notes...while highly impressive and freakishly difficult to play cleanly -- does not in and of itself meet the most difficult music tag...there must be more than just a black page.

I'd throw out any of the Don Ellis pieces done by 27th, Madison, or BD...I don;t even think Ellis KNEW how to write a 4/4 bar!

In fact...I'll say 1993 BD was probably the most difficult music to play....'cause it was ALL Ellis.

Now selling the show to the crowd????  1993 Star, hands down!

I agree. We played Don Ellis' "Chain Reaction" in '78 - '80. 13/8 is not an easy meter to play. And it was really a challenge on some of those p/r horns. Dang! Now I'll have to see if I can find any of my old tapes. :huh:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking, if we're talking about specific pieces, Short Ride in A Fast Machine.  I think SCV's arrangement was a bit harder than The Cadets of Bergen County's.

so thats what i was going to say, this piece can make you look like a complete moron if youre not counting, youngstown state univ's wind ensemble played a few years back.

Cadets "the Big Apple" in '99 had a middle section where the mellos kept getting faster and faster......that's the best and hardest lick I've heard....now Star '91 that was hard but because of the chord structure and weird sound of the music and time signature I am not sure if it was really hard or was an illusion but anyway it would have to take 2nd place to cadets 99......only because the mello runs were so exposed.

I agree.  We played Don Ellis' "Chain Reaction" in '78 - '80.  13/8 is not an easy meter to play.  And it was really a challenge on some of those p/r horns.  Dang!  Now I'll have to see if I can find any of my old tapes.  :huh:

I'd say the 27th Niner Two was the most difficult of all the Ellis stuff drum corps have played because it was most like the actual Ellis arrangement. It's even written in the appropriate key to play along with Ellis' band on a G bugle! If you get to see a DVD of 81 or 82 27th, you'll notice that actually marched to a good portion of the tune, in different tempos, strides, etc...quite an undertaking.

I'm also partial to Madison's Strawberry Soup in '83 and whenever BD played Ellis...

1991 Cavaliers "Cavalier Anthems, the Advent Collection"

lots of maturity in sound. Good Shaping, control and balance.

Not a monster of technical runs, but good pure sounds which are difficult to pull off.

Not to mention that selling a show of Christmas tunes in August is not easy.

• 2 months later...

Star of Indiana 1991

Blue Devils 1997 - Probably takes my cake

The Cadets 2000 - The tempos were on fire and to win high brass with this never ceases to amaze me.

Phantom Regiment 2003 - Some really hard runs in that show towards the end

From a brass perspective one of the most difficult things to pull off on the drum corps field is style of articulation. IMO, you have to give credit to any corps who has played jazz swing style. Bluecoats, Madison and BD stand out.

Check out Madison's 1999 LUPON

It's not just "Dah"