• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been said several times that ESPN2 is providing airtime...DCI provides the product...it'll be the same as in previous years...much as a lot of us (myself included) would like a return to the complete top 6, longer clips of the bottem 6, and less behind the scenes...still....IT'S ON ESPN!!

How is it a good thing when a show that people called a piece of crap when it was on PBS moves to ESPN2?

Isn't it still a piece of crap no matter where you put it?

It's been said several times that ESPN2 is providing airtime...DCI provides the product...it'll be the same as in previous years...much as a lot of us (myself included) would like a return to the complete top 6, longer clips of the bottem 6, and less behind the scenes...still....IT'S ON ESPN!!

While I'd like to see less behind-the-scenes clips also, I say that because I'm already a fan. I assume the move to espn2 is to broaden the fan base, and as such, to create fans, you have let them know what's going on behind-the-scenes. People who were already fans were going to watch in on PBS no matter what - the espn2 move is for viewership and the natural publicity that espn2 programming gets.

I think the production crew has done a good job of targeting new fans with the broadcast, and now the have a more effective medium to do it!

Obviously the move to ESPN2 is to broaden the fan base.

But does drum corps need more fans?

Do we run the risk of watering down an ever-more shrinking product (or, in another direction, making it so like BOA that it doesn't even register as drum & bugle corps anymore) to please as many casual observers as DCI thinks it can sell CDs and DVDs to?

Until last year, I thought 1983 was as bad as the telecast could get. Then last year, with the stupid 45-second film "introductions" and "backstage" footage, along with the cutesy-pie features, happened. I can't wait until they give the go-ahead to start talking in the booth again.

Yes, we as a race are doomed.

Obviously the move to ESPN2 is to broaden the fan base.

But does drum corps need more fans?

<snip>

How many sold out stadiums have you seen lately? :worthy:

How many sold out stadiums have you seen lately?  :worthy:

Actually, drum corps needs more corps and more marching members.

Even if you do sell out every show, there is only so many people that you can fit on one side of a stadium.

I like the behind the scenes stuff, I dont like just listening to people talk though. I dont really care to hear an age-out describe the show and what it means to them. but I did enjoy watching corps practice or watching things done in free time.

I don't mind the behind the scene clips because it give me something else to watch besides just the shows. I'm going to buy the DVD's anyway because I'm a fan, and welp, that's what we do, so the vignettes don't bother me.

What does bother me is that on last year's telecast EVERY ONE was just the same. Oh drum corps means this to me. Oh it's so hard....it means this to me blah blah. The feelings I get from doing it blah blah. OK WE GET IT!

How bout some clips of life on tour. life in the horn arc. Life on the bus at night. Showering :)! Free days in BFE. Laundry. If you want to SHOW drum corps...then really SHOW DRUMCORPS!