Official DCI Quarterfinals Discussion Thread

Just got back from the Cinecast.

Great night for DCI. I loved the Cinecast. Picture and sound were both excellent, and I thought the corps performed very well tonight. I really loved all the video clips of past shows...nice job DCI.

As for the scores, all I have to say is WOW, WOW, WOW...Cadets were so on fire I cannot even find the words to describe their performance levels. Their show is a wild, weird, sometimes dark, and sometimes high energy show, and not everyone gets it or finds it to be their cup of tea, but boy do these guys perform. Their drum line tonight was just amazing, and the innovative ballad was haunting and gorgeous at the same time. This show is total goose bumps and then some.

Thought Cavies and Phantom performed very well. Really love Cavies closer, and Phantom's show just leaves me stunned each time I see it. It's a refreshing look at the marriage of drum corps and show biz glitz.

The biggest surprie of the night for me was the Blue Devils. This show rocks. Thank you BD. What a great show. All summer I hear people complaining about this show, but what I saw tonight was excellent, cutting edge, and if they tweak this and bring something similar back next year...watch out. The ending of Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs was a "gas." What a refreshing show, and quite frankly it doesn't work without the narration. Way to go BD!!!!

Thought both Madison and Bluecoats were a bit off, although I had Bluecoats over Madison. Madison's ending is really not very good at all, but I love the rest of the show. Bluecoats percussion section is a monster.

Boston and Crown are very close, and I love both shows. Lots of melody and great horn lines. Crown's horn line is really a year away from turning heads in a big way. I love Michael Klecsh's arrangements, and "A Mighty Fortress is our God" is an absolute majestic, heavenly hit at the end of the show. I was filled with goose bumps and tears in my eyes at the end of Crown's show.

I will write more on this later, but what a great night o drum corps.

Jonathan

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest surprise of the night for me was the Blue Devils.  This show rocks. Thank you BD.  What a great show.  All summer I hear people complaining about this show, but what I saw tonight was excellent, cutting edge, and if they tweak this and bring something similar back next year...watch out.  The ending of Prelude, Fugue, and Riffs was a "gas."  What a refreshing show, and quite frankly it doesn't work without the narration.  Way to go BD!!!!

Yeah, then seeing the low score they didn't deserve.

Is it me or were the judges being major harsh on corps 15 and lower? Could this change tomorrow when there isn't a 45 minute break in the middle of them and with different judges? I figured Cap Reg., Southwind, and Seattle would break 80.

Edited by stickman882002

and not everyone gets it or finds it to be their cup of tea, but boy do these guys perform

I was at the Indy show, and I absolutely HATED both bd's and garfield's show...and they 2 of my favorite corps...

anytime you need a microphone to explain the show instead of the music making you feel the show..well....call me a purist, but I just can't stand it...

sure..they are stunning...crisp..all the good stuff...just not MOVING

my 2 cents worth...

"That was as bad as Blue Devils!" --My mom, on the Cadets

anytime you need a microphone to explain the show instead of the music making you feel the show..well....call me a purist, but I just can't stand it...

AMEN!

"That was as bad as Blue Devils!" --My mom, on the Cadets

Hahaha! ... true, too!

Cadets score ridiculously high...

Best Cavies show in years...

Regiment is simply awesome...

Point spread is out of wack!...

Crown should have topped Boston...

Great for Southwind!...

Enough already of the drumspeak - let the instruments speak for themselves!!

Had a guy talking almost non-stop next to me in the theater, too - except during the historical intro to each corps! Would have helped if he'd at least turned his head toward the person he was speaking to, instead of straight ahead. Had to bite my tongue not to add my opinion to his, though... he knew it all (just ask him!)

Then there was the guy right behind me with the cell phone - not one call, but two!!

Here's hoping tomorrow night's top tier scores are more realistic!

Edited by PR Mom

I was exhausted by the time I got home last night (up early to get to work early so I could leave early and get to the show).. *zzzzzz*

Okay.. Not a lot to say (hopefully by the time I finish this, it isn't 15 paragraphs long).. but I REALLY loved Crossmen's show. I had hoped they would have been in the top 12 this year and who knows.. they may still.

I'm sorry we didn't get to see Southwind.. I bet they put on a heck of a show last night.. and I already loved it.. so I'm sorry to have missed it..

I liked Capital Regiment's show better before they added all the stuff. In the beginning, they had simple, solid color silks and no transition of sun on the sundial.. and I "got it" perfectly.. they didn't need all the other additions and I thought it diminished the effect. I am glad they had the girl in white start changing dresses and doing more than just walking around the field for half the show.

Love Boston and Crown.. and I think their placement last night was correct -- though I do think it will change tonight and tomorrow.

I also had Bluecoats over Madison.. but not by much and their scores were close enough last night that I didn't feel either corps was slighted, even if I thought the order was incorrect. This may be the night for Bluecoats to get the Scouts behind them to stay.

I felt a little like Scouts may have peaked. Their show was great.. they performed it very well and it's really clean.. but the spark wasn't there. I would love it if they could prove me wrong but I think they peaked way early this year.

Regiment completely stunned me *AGAIN*. I remember saying, after Pat told me they were going to add some guard uniform changes, that they should just leave it.. I liked the blue and purple flapper dresses and thought they were so classy.. well I REALLY liked the changes last night.. I would not be heartbroken at ALL if they managed to leap-frog over both Cavaliers and Cadets to win. Is it likely? Probably not, but I wouldn't be heartbroken at all.

Cadets and Cavaliers.. hmm.. well.. I felt like Cavaliers were holding back a bit (I felt the same way about Crown and a few others, too).. and I remember thinking in the beginning of Cadets show "Cadets are gonna win tonight" -- but that spread was a little out of control, IMO. Yes, the Cadets should have won last night -- I don't like the show but they performed the heck out of it and deserved the win. A spread of nearly 2pts? No. Not at the level these top three corps are performing. Frankly, I was equally surprised and dismayed at the spread between Cavs and Regiment. I believe these top three corps are all within a point of each other and it's hard for me to understand why there is this gigantic spread.

I haven't looked at the recaps so if I'm missing a penalty or something, fine.. but I was still shocked.

Finally.. the broadcast itself:

Steve Rondinaro needs to NEVER SPEAK TABLA AGAIN. That was painful.

I don't know if it was our theater only but the color was awful. Any corps with light color dominating their uniform or head looked like funky cartoon color cutouts on a field background. Watching Crown, they looked like slabs of butter, completely indistinct and blurry -- so that the high shots were downright awful to watch. I wished and wished someone at the show site would take a look at the feeds to see that and adjust. It was really bad. So bad I nearly wanted to go ask for my money back.

I would gladly pay $15 to see the Q-finals corps on REGULAR camera feeds and REGULAR display equipment over whatever that was due to HD or whatever was causing it. I hope they fix that for next year. It was very disappointing.

The crowd in our theater was great.. clapping and cheering and laughing at the comments shouted from the stands..

Gosh.. I guess I had more to say than I thought I did!

Stef

Ok first of all - I was there. And I was sitting in the Club level on the 50 :)

Now that I got that out of the way...

My favorite show this year is Regiment. They are seriously starting to fire on all cylinders again - very well done. IMO they may catch Cavaliers by Sat.

Cadets are on another level - and if anything I fel they were underscored compared to the scores below them. HUGE performance gap. It's not often that one corps has the best guard, best drumline, best brassline & most demand in one year - but this year that's the case. It wasn't close on the field. At the end of the opener I leaned over to the guy sitting beside me and said "this isn't even going to be close" Once they announced Cavliers scores - I said "Cadets will be over 98" - folks around me said "no way" - honestly (and I've been around this for a very long time) it could have been higher - they are that good.

Feet execution is the best from Cadets in a very, very long time. Guard last night was perhaps the best i've ever seen. Nah - make that the best. Brass was on fire - super super crisp - sound attacks and cut offs - unreal demand, most of it on the fly. My mouth was literally gapping open at the execution in the brassline. Gino is a god - and those members did themeselves proud. Drumline is a monster machine eating other lines for breakfast. Wow. Deman visually and musically is unreal. Equipment demand is extreme in the guard - silk execution sharp in 2D, 3D & timing sense - unreal. Choreography in the guard is fresh.

It wasn't close.