You've gotta see this pic.......

I'm kind of surprised no one's pointed out yet that what used to be named "Sopranos" in the I&E results is now named "Trumpets."

That's because Soprano/Trumpet and Contra/Tuba is an issue that is at least a few years old. This will be assimilated (I know the pun's there, but it really is the best word to use) within a few years, just like other changes have been assimilated. In three years, you'll be showing amazement that no one's complaining about amps anymore.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well if woodwinds do come in, watch people really start to walk.

w/Stp: , sans stupid.

My favorite ones to watch will be the ones who continually insist that we (the proacoustic crowd) are ridiculous to be overreacting to amps so much, but once the WWs hit the fan, they'll be jumping in our boat, too.

Well, just for grins, say some corps members are vocal majors. Do we add a show choir competition?

Or, what if they play stringed instruments? Do we add a string competition?

Or, even, what if there were music composition majors who wanted a competition?

Where does it end?

If the BOD wants to permit the above, I'm fine with it...I'd vote 'yes' to all of the above if I had a vote. What's the problem? There is zero impact to what appears on the field.

DCI is not an activity that has supporting woodwinds as part of its ideology. In the grand realm of "Music Education" (echo, echo, echo....:P) however, it gets its legs.

It's not always about using that "expanding the paradigm through education" argument, though, or else all tradition is lost. 

Depends on what you consider 'tradition'. There have been so many additions and changes to instruments and show designs since I started marching 41 years ago that IMO the most important aspect of 'tradition' is the experience drum corps provides, not the instruments and designs...plus the very idea of expanding the possibilities...those are the things I find important.

I'm not going to go down the "slippery slope" argument trail, but, really...rather than me throw out examples, ask yourself...where do you stop and still call it drum and bugle corps?

Considering the brass don't pay on bugles, percussion consists of far more than 'drums' and color guards do not guard the colors, IMO it should not stop.

Maybe we should ask the Tootsie Roll owl. :P

:)

Mike

well i guess no one can blame George Hopkins for this when Jeff Fiedler was the one that sponsored it

For what it's worth, I WAS pretty vocal about that (especially the whole "not a back door" comment) back when this all went down.

"None" to both, making me clearly an outsider.  But hey, I admit that.  I'm just a fan in the stand who loves him some drum corps, buys several tickets every year, CD's and DVD's every year, and a good handful of souvenirs every year as well.  It's not my place to say that DCI should add saxophones or electronics or even trombones.  But I don't see the problem in saying that if that's the direction in which DCI chooses to go, I'll be there in the stands as always, listening to my CD's on the way to and from the show.  :)

Now, you can dismiss my view by saying "well, he never marched", but there are those who have marched that share my opinion.  How will you dismiss what they have to say?

My only experience marching was in high school band, at the top level of BOA.  Undoubtedly that experience has colored my perspective toward DCI, but that shouldn't be any surprise.  After all, you seem to be implying that had I marched DCI I would have a different perspective than I have now.  Unfortunately I never got that chance, but then if we are creatures of perspective, then my particular opinion should come as no surprise.

try DCA...you might like it

Now if they ever step a foot on a field, I'm gone faster then a Twinkie in Rosie ODonnell's desk drawer.

What makes you think it would last long enough to get into the desk drawer to begin with?

To grow it even more...

Mike

yeah they're running to the gates to hear em yell yowza and sing drum parts

The day woodwinds set foot on the field I will boo and hiss. Very loudly. And I will make sure to go to finals and do the same.

The day woodwinds set foot on the field I will boo and hiss.  Very loudly.  And I will make sure to go to finals and do the same.

Please don't. 1) It's not fair to penalize the kids for the actions of the Powers-That-Be, and 2) don't give DCI/the corps the money. The wallet is where you can hit them hardest.