Why would someone do this?

Ahh, yes... brings back fond memories of my post age-out season marching trombone for Star of India.

BTW-- How's it goin', Nikk? I don't we've talked since, like, the summer of '94...(when we marched for, ahem, Madison...)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once met a guy who swore up and down to me that he marched in the Freelancers at DCI in Madison.

In 1986.

Ahh, yes... brings back fond memories of my post age-out season marching trombone for Star of India.

BTW-- How's it goin', Nikk? I don't we've talked since, like, the summer of '94...(when we marched for, ahem, Madison...)

YOU marched SOI Too??!!

I did the Mellophone/soprano/Trombone/Kazoo solo in "Bombay Bedlam"!! ^0^

I once met a guy who swore up and down to me that he marched in the Freelancers at DCI in Madison.

In 1986.

Freelancers in '86 huh? I was wondering who that one man corps was since as I recall about three of Freelancers former members came to march with us after they folded.

Reminds me of a guy I went to college with that kept switching his story between he marched with PR (when around his bandmates) and that he was trying out for PR (when around non-bandmate drum corps people). Of course it turns out he did neither. Since I invented drum corps I knew he was lying and called him on it :P

My buddy and I just came off of first tour in 93, we headed home for a night of R&R and to hang out with some friends for a day or so.

Went to one of the local watering holes where there was a very questionable band playing. After a few drinks we happened across a couple of cuties. Small talk started blah blah blah, we just got off the road with Blue Stars, i exclaimed "You just got off the road with Blues Traveler"!!!!!!!!!????? she asked. she was very excited. I looked at my buddy, smiled and said nope Blue Stars...... She shrugged :ph34r: and walked away. Im an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But alas (spelling) I could not tell a lie. Idiot!

Some times it pays to, but I was to stupid to figure that out. I figured Blue Stars would have made me seem just as cool. :wall: guess not

JoeB

FCO!!!!!!!

06 is gonna rock

Edited by joeb

After my drum corps career, I went in the Marines and was in the band. While at the Armed Forces School of Music in Little Creek, VA, I saw this guy with a Suncoast Sound t-shirt on. I immediately went up to him and asked if he marched. He said he marched soprano in '88 & '89. Well, little did he know that I marched those years, played lead, and was the soprano section leader in '89. I strung him along for a few minutes, asking questions about the show, staff, etc. Literally everything he was saying was completely untrue. Finally, I asked him who the soloists and section leader was in '89 and he named someone who also didn't march. I simply said "You're wrong. I was the section leader, played the solo in the beginning of the show, the solo in "Simple Song at Sunrise" and the trio in the closer!" I told him that I would be glad to show him the '89 finals video in which I have a close-up. He was busted and had nowhere to run. It was awesome. This would have been all the way back in 1991, but I remember it perfectly. It was like I HAD to defend my corps, which by 1991 was a pitiful division 2 nightmare. Anyway, Nikk, I applaud you for not busting this poor guy with his girl, but I'm sure you were fired up like I was!

Okay, you caught me Nikk.  I also marched with '93 BD and Star.  Not to mention '89 PR and SCV and Suncoast Sound.  :P

No you didn't.

:)

b**bs

Same thing happened to me a few months after I got back from the only season I marched. I had a crappy job at Best Buy throughout college that I worked during breaks from school. I ended up going back to work a weekend in October to help them with inventory. They had me wear regular clothes so customers wouldn't bother me and I could get the work done. I had on my "Back in Black. Be Afraid of the Dark" t-shirt from that summer. Some dude came up to me and started telling me that he had marched contra that summer in Regiment. I asked him some questions and he couldn't really answer any of them so I finally called him on it. I just told him that I HAD marched Phantom Regiment that summer and don't remember ever seeing him there. He didn't really have a response to that.

I just remember wondering why in the #### someone would lie like that. If you want to march then do it, otherwise just be happy to be a fan of this great activity. No shame in that. There is shame in claiming to do something you didn't. It's funny that other people have had the same thing happen to them, too. There must be a LOT of insecure losers out there.