DCI future locations?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2007 is Pasadena for sure. Rose Bowl. From a conversation I had today, DCI is under the impression that Dan's announcement at the FODCI luncheon was the official word.

I gently reminded a friend there today that no "official" announcement (i.e. press release) had been given or it would have been chewed up here by now.

Stef

[sNIP]

I don't know how the heck DCI decides where to have Championships every year, and it is getting old having them at the same few places. There is no ideal place for everyone, though, unless you have them in Kansas, the center of the nation, but that would be an unfair advantage to Blue Knights, the Troopers, etc, who don't have to travel as far as the Cadets or the Blue Devils.

I love the idea of Kansas :P .

How about at K-State in Manhattan?

DCI really needs to bring it back to the true midwest. They really need to hold finals at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City. I don't know why they haven't brought it back there since 1989. Could someone maybe fill me in on why they haven't.

It's a turf thing. '88-'89 were the astroturf years, and many more events were held here (concerts, monster trux,...) that we no longer see.

It's all about the natural grass, from what I hear, and the impact on the coming football season.

Arrowhead sounded darn good to me!

I have talked to a very good source that The 2008 DCI Finals will be in Atlanta at Georgia Tech Stadium, just like in 1984. With DCI moving the Indy Show to the Georgia Dome, then DCI could be testing Atlanta for a finals site again, and maybe the Georgia Dome too. BTW The Georgia Dome has a horrible echo, almost as bad a The RCA Dome in my opinion. So I hope it will be at Tech.

All I know is once all of the corps outside of California spend a week in San Diego and absorb the beauty of the ocean, the 80 degree weather, and the cool breeze blowing from the west, organizations will beg DCI to make it a permanent championship site. :P

Oh if only this would happen! So Cal would be great but Nor Cal is too hot in August. The RCR show in July in Sacramento was ungodly hot.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't a number of fans complain about the acoustics of the Rose bowl during the tourn. of champions in 2004???

The acoustics did seem - or else the corps just had post-DCI fatigue. plus the stands are a long ways from the field, and the angle of the seats is very low. It's a soup bowl not a cereal bowl. However - a horn line of 100+ "G" bugles will be heard very well, thank you!

This question may have been answered somewhere in the middle of this thread. Where exactly is the dividing line between the south and the area that lies below it and what is that area called? When old-timers from the north go south for the winter they usually go to Florida.