DCI future locations?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Utah stadium pictured is Rice-Eccles at University of Utah, not the one at BYU. Even though Rice-Eccles is a great stadium (I attended 2002 Winter Olympics opening ceremonies there), I believe it is not large enough to host a drum corps championships.

It would be great to have championships here in California for once and hope it will be in San Diego.

What about the new football stadium being built in Phoenix? Yes, it's hot there, but I'll take dry heat over heat & humidity anyday.

Don't know about official statements, but...

DCI's January Meeting IS taking place in Pasadena...

Coincidence? :lol::lol::huh:

Don't know about official statements, but...

DCI's January Meeting IS taking place in Pasadena...

Coincidence? :lol::lol::huh:

I hope not... I still contend that DCI at the Rose Bowl would be a big mistake. I will however eat my words if proven wrong.

Why not Seattle? Distance? No different than West Coast corps going to Florida, or Boston.

Not so much distance as the Rockies getting in the way on the way out for anyone east of Modesto...

Stopping in SoCal means going around the Rockies instesad of through them on the I-70, (That route's not so bad re windy mountain roads, but it IS a looooong trip up hill...the Eisenhower Tunnel at the Continental Divide is around 11,000 feet up) then back home again without fighting the mountains very much.

Corps could go through Arizona and New Mexico on both out and in bound trips, but it'd add 1000 miles or more to the overall milage if they went to Seattle.

I really hope that finals are NOT in California at any time in the near future. The two experiences I've had with the state (01 and the tour of champions in 04) were not good at all. In 04, there were only 6 corps touring the state, and half of the housing sites fell through at one point (if my memory serves me correctly). So, how do you expect to find plenty of housing for more than 40 or 50 corps? And, speaking about housing sites, the quality of the sites was pretty disgusting. The up-keep of all the schools I've stayed at in CA was terrible. How about the gang situation? In 01, we were told to not wear certain colors at rehearsal and not go outside of the school fences because of local gangs. I'm sorry, but California is the place that I would LEAST want to have finals, ever. I understand that there are about 7 or 8 corps that this would be great for, travel wise, but what about the 30+ other corps???

Umm.. California schools were getting ready to start classes the next week while we were there on TOC.. but I guess that couldn't have had anything to do with it.

And housing for finals never fell through anywhere else, right *coughcoughOrlandocoughcough*

California is no better or worse than any other state in terms of housing.. (and frankly, the housing we had in NoCal was FANTASTIC.. but I digress).. In terms of weather in August.. I'm thinking we could do better than L.A. .. but California is long past due.. the crowds we saw in California that one week (with the exception of San Diego.. which is a crying shame) were so big and so enthusiastic.. even though the kids were tired and probably pretty burned out..

I think California will be a great place for finals..

Stef

Hey, OldAgeOut!

That stadium you pictured is not in Provo -- it's Rice-Eccles stadium in Salt Lake City. Very nice, new facility in a great location walking distance from Downtown. But I think it's too small. I believe it holds less than 20,000 on concert side. If the stadium were a bit bigger, SLC would be a GREAT finals venue.

I'm not going to hold my breath on having in FINALS Canada because I know that won't happen AGAIN, at least not in my life time !!! B)

Although we did have to largest crowd to ever witness a Finals contest in DCI HISTORY in 1982 in Montreal !! b**bs b**bs b**bs

But that doesn't mean anything, does it ?? :blink: