The day drum corps died.

They need to rename it, it's not drum and bugle corps anymore. It may still be- to some "drum corps"- so that is what I'll call it, until MBI takes over. Marching Bands International. :huh: 

I'm not going to finals next year, maybe DCA finals.....that is where it's at! :)

I'm an official DCA groupie! :worthy:

It is still drum and bugle corps to many of us who don't limit the definition of the activity to the specific instruments used to execute the end product. It's not drum and bugle corps the way you like it any more. What qualifies you to speak for everybody else?

Oh yeah - is there anyone left out there in DCP land that doesn't know that Steph is not attending DCI finals next year??? :P :worthy:

Edited by ^Michael^

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at attendance numbers at shows...they are rising all over the country in general, as posted by DCI and from anecdotal reports on these forums.

Symphony orchestras use all sorts of 'different' instruments when they are called for, esp in contemporary pieces.

Mike

Mike, what ?? What activity are you following ?/ Where are you getting your facts from ??? Not ture, not true at all, and not stated as you say it by DCI. Like events were compared, not taking into consideration the number of shows cancelled , ie: less shows.......Attendance is not up, It wasnt up at the Meadowlands this year...what other shows do you go to so you can see for youself ???

No this isnt true, attendance is not up !

~G~

"Rumors of the death of drum corps have been greatly exaggerated." (in order to advance a specific agenda)  I sincerely hate to disappoint you , but drum corps is nowhere near death, from my perspective.  Perhaps drum corps of the '70s is dead, I won't argue that, but drum corps of the '70's (when I marched) is right where it belongs - in the '70's - not 2005.  The contemporary drum corps of 2005 does not share much cosmetically with the corps of the '70's I marched in.  But it shares ALL the important unique characteristics - relentless pursuit of excellence, unparalleled work ethic, lifelong fraternal bonds, personal responsibility - to name a few.  I feel sad that you can't enjoy the drum corps that belongs to todays generation of performers, but they own it now and as long as they are passionate about it, it's in good hands and all is well.

C'mon...why is it sooooo hard to see that this is not a generational issue....we are not talking about the unique characteristics of drum corps.....pursuit of excellence,...work ethic....those aspects will never die and yes the kids work just as hard if not harder than I ever did in drum corps....it's the sound and feel and lack of crowd reaction that you just fail to understand....and it's not just the old pharts like myself...I have seen posts by many 18-25 year olds as well, but I always read their views dismissed as too much influence from the older crowd....give me a break! It's not crying for nostalgia or crying for a return to the good old days....drum corps has definitely changed and it has become extremely hard for both old and young to understand.....and when one has to defend the number of folks that are in the stands, or rebuke fans on how and when to react to a performance something is just not right....nobody ever had to tell fans how to react in my day....they either liked you, loved you, or thought you sucked. Now explain to me why it is so different today....are the fans smarter?.....are the corps more exciting?....did I miss something in the world of art or music that todays drum corps folks somehow latched onto?....I think not! I was born in a very progressive era and have accepted and enjoyed changes in art, music, entertainment,...etc....but drum corps is just not as exciting as it used to be IMO!....And what is all this talk of drum corps evolving?....Evolving into what....taking rehashed ideas from other genres and adapting them to drum corps is no big evolution....I here it referred to as sampling in other art....Create real genuine change in drum corps....something original...but don't put amps and singing and shows that are hard to follow without narration and call it evolution..... B)

C'mon...why is it sooooo hard to see that this is not a generational issue....we are not talking about the unique characteristics of drum corps.....pursuit of excellence,...work ethic....those aspects will never die and yes the kids work just as hard if not harder than I ever did in drum corps....it's the sound and feel and lack of crowd reaction that you just fail to understand....and it's not just the old pharts like myself...I have seen posts by many 18-25 year olds as well, but I always read their views dismissed as too much influence from the older crowd....give me a break! It's not crying for nostalgia or crying for a return to the good old days....drum corps has definitely changed and it has become extremely hard for both old and young to understand.....and when one has to defend the number of folks that are in the stands, or rebuke fans on how and when to react to a performance something is just not right....nobody ever had to tell fans how to react in my day....they either liked you, loved you, or thought you sucked. Now explain to me why it is so different today....are the fans smarter?.....are the corps more exciting?....did I miss something in the world of art or music that todays drum corps folks somehow latched onto?....I think not! I was born in a very progressive era and have accepted and enjoyed changes in art, music, entertainment,...etc....but drum corps is just not as exciting as it used to be IMO!....And what is all this talk of drum corps evolving?....Evolving into what....taking rehashed ideas from other genres and adapting them to drum corps is no big evolution....I here it referred to as sampling in other art....Create real genuine change in drum corps....something original...but don't put amps and singing and shows that are hard to follow without narration and call it evolution..... B)

Your opinion is respectfully noted. Thank you.

However, to others, it's face is getting a cosmetic make over that others get can't recognize as drum corps.

It's kind of like looking at a picture of Michael Jackson in 1984 and then in 2005 and realizing that there is now no resemblance. To add to that statement, may I quote someone who spoke on his last documentary but with a drum corps twist..."I think if drum corps looked real close in the mirror it would ask itself 'what the !@#$ did I do to myself??!!

Sorry, I'm just not someone who likes to curse at this stage in my life so that was the best I could do with the quote. But if you wish to re-post it without censor I certainly would not hold it against you. :(

Edited by torn8o

I would be curious to compare the number of M&M corps in 1975 to the number in 2005? I just got done posting on a 4 page thread listing Corps no longer in existence.  I'm quite sure that a corresponding number has not sprung to life.

IMO.....

There have been many threads about why drum corps have died over the years...starting in the late 60's, accelerating through the 70's and into the 80's.

NOT the fault of DCI, but changes in society and the pullback by the 'traditional' sponsors such as the VFW/AL/CYO/PAL.

The huge inflation of the 70's drove up costs more than many could take...

The decline of the influence of the Catholic Church, esp in the inner cities...

The ageing of the VFW/AL population, as the children of the WWII and Korean vets aged out, the posts went into a decline as few new members came along from the Viet Nam war, and merely running a post became more expensive when spread across fewere and fewer members.

DCI reacted to these changes to survive at all. IMO without DCI there might be NO junior corps left.

As for the hundreds of small corps that died...the rise of the competitive band scene provided a similar experience like the small local style corps of the 50's and 60's...and it continues to this day..with FAR more kids marching and competing tan ever happened with just drum corps.

Mike

Mike, what ?? What activity are you following ?/ Where are you getting your facts from ??? Not ture, not true at all, and not stated as you say it by DCI. Like events were compared, not taking into consideration the number of shows cancelled , ie: less shows.......Attendance is not up,

DCI posted a total ticket sales figure a while back that compared 2003 and 2004, and yes, the totals were higher in 2004.

It wasnt up at the Meadowlands this year...what other shows do you go to so you can see for youself ???

DCI East, for one.

No this isnt true, attendance is not up !

~G~

Sorry, but IMO you are 100% wrong.

Mike

C'mon...why is it sooooo hard to see that this is not a generational issue....we are not talking about the unique characteristics of drum corps.....pursuit of excellence,...work ethic....those aspects will never die and yes the kids work just as hard if not harder than I ever did in drum corps....it's the sound and feel and lack of crowd reaction that you just fail to understand....and it's not just the old pharts like myself...I have seen posts by many 18-25 year olds as well, but I always read their views dismissed as too much influence from the older crowd....give me a break! It's not crying for nostalgia or crying for a return to the good old days....drum corps has definitely changed and it has become extremely hard for both old and young to understand.....and when one has to defend the number of folks that are in the stands, or rebuke fans on how and when to react to a performance something is just not right....nobody ever had to tell fans how to react in my day....they either liked you, loved you, or thought you sucked. Now explain to me why it is so different today....are the fans smarter?.....are the corps more exciting?....did I miss something in the world of art or music that todays drum corps folks somehow latched onto?....I think not! I was born in a very progressive era and have accepted and enjoyed changes in art, music, entertainment,...etc....but drum corps is just not as exciting as it used to be IMO!....

I have some videos taken at the World Open of 1971, plus a few other isolated shows. Some consider the 71 WO to be the best show ever...looking at the audience reaction, there was NONE of the "throwing babies" kind of thing...people reacted just as they do today. This includes the 'home town' 27th Lancers performance a well as Blue Rock, Garfield, Santa Clara, Anaheim, and some others.

Mike

As for the hundreds of small corps that died...the rise of the competitive band scene provided a similar experience like the small local style corps of the 50's and 60's...and it continues to this day..with FAR more kids marching and competing tan ever happened with just drum corps.

Is it really a similar experience? Where I came from it wasn't at all. The big difference is that a drum corps is private, not public. In a school, you have to accept Johnny's bad attitude because he is entitled to participate in the activities of his school. There is no entitlement in drum corps. You add something positive to the corps or you are gone, regardless of the size or locality of the corps.

While more kids are competing as high schools have embraced competition, that doesn't mean more kids are marching. In fact, I would think the per capita number of youth marching these days is far less than it was in say 1970. Back then, every school had a marching band and nearly every town had a drum corps. We had a choice. Now the only local choice is school. How is that better? How is that more?