DCI Cinecast

I was in Buffalo and I was surprised that there was only about half the theater filled. Close riot when Phantom wrong score went up, and we only lost the feed during SW, and then some audio for about 40 seconds during Blue Knights.

Pretty much no response for BD and Cadets, but Phantom and Cavies along with some of the corps below them did get some clapping and good response. The most response by far was for the flashback clips.

Did anyone else have it where the flashback clips were much noticeably louder than the live feed. It was a huge difference. People did ask to have them turn the volume up and did they a little, but it sounded like they turned it back down.

Edited by danielle302

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Columbia, MD. I saw all div. I corps in Allentown last weekend, so some of my comments may include my observations from the live shows.

Same observations as the others about the crowd. At the intermission about 80 people got in the consessions line, but only two workers, then the manager got one more. Fortunatly I was near the front. $13.75 for a soda, nachos (the hot dogs weren't done yet) and some M&M's.

I arrived just a little late because of work. Missed the Mandarins :( Loved their show in Allentown!!! Came in just after Seattle started. Missed the biggest part of the narration at the beginning. :) I know it's part of the original and I thought the young man had a nice voice, but it doesn't say anything the music doesn't. It doesn't add any insight into the music for me. I also thought it covered up some of the best music in the show.

Cap Reg has a nice show. I was hoping when the show was announced that the emphasis would be on the "dance" aspect. Instead they focus on the time aspect. I still think they should have focused more on the dance aspect. Great brass line, enjoyed the show overall.

Besides some Cadets fans their were a lot of Crossmen fans. They cheered at both the beginning and end of their show. I liked the Crossmen show too, cleaner than Colts, but I like Colts show just a little better. Niether will catch Spirit for spot 12 tonight.

Spirit has a nice show. They are a lock for 12 as I don't think Spirit will catch anyone above them. Loved "Luck Be a Lady." Great chart! Not sure about the green delta at the end???

When I heard Glassmen were doing something to the great "New World Symphony" I was sceptical, but I rally loved this show! While I don't get much of the theme of the Blue Knights show, I enjoyed it a lot. Loved the shot and look of the SCV drummer at the beginning of the show, especially when he turned his head on que to look at the DM.

I love Boston's show!!! My second favorite of the season. Crown's show may be a bit more artistic, but Boston follows their theme and the show just makes you feel so good!!! Both have great guards. Lots of nice unison tosses!!!

Good show Bluecoats. Don't mean to be rude but it's the first year I've ever enjyed one of their shows.

I enjoy Madison's show this year (wasn't sure I was going to, not a Carmen fan). I think the problem with the ending is they kill Carmen too early in the show. Once she's gone, not much left to do, after all the show's about her. It didn't bother me that Carmen didn't spin. She danced very well and almost continuously.

BD??? I've already said too much and was blunt/rude about it on another thread (sorry), just echo all those who don't care for this show.

Phantom!!! Loved this show best!!! :ph34r: I agree with whoever said it didn't come off on the screen as well as it does live!!! Beautiful music, great guard, loved the Contra's dancing when they played their soli section. :wall: Try and tell me, a contra player, that's not difficult.

Cavies good fun show!!! great clean guard, great green machine drill! I thought it was interesting that Jessica didn't interview anyone from the Cavies (those that don't know/remember, last year she asked something about being a bond girl and got an answer she didn't expect from the quad player about meeting him at the bus).

I enjoyed the Cadets show, but don't get any meaning out of it. I don't think it's ground breaking, just classic Cadets: difficult music, difficult drill, performed very well, doesn't do much for me emotionally or aestheticly. Laughed when the girls said they didn't know what they represented. Also noticed that there wasn't much response at the end of the show from the Cadet fans who clapped so much at the beginning.

I have to agree that there are too many closeups of the color guard (not just the featured characters in a few shows, all shows). Even showing groups of poeple as opposed to one person would be a huge improvemnet.

Jessica overall did better than James, Steve and Dennis are fine, but Dan Potter blows all four of them away, in my opinion. Why wasn't he helping out this year????? They need him!!!

I agree with who ever said "What's up with end zone camers"? Doesn't make sense.

One last thing. USE A DIFFERENT CAMERA TO SHOW THE DM SALUTES! This camera angle is not flattering to the most handsome or atractive DM when he/she bends over to lower their hat. :sshh: Shows their backside in huge proportions to the world. <**>

I was at KoP, and it looked pretty crowded from the back rows.

I didn't notice any problems with the picture quality per se.

We lost the signal A LOT. It became funny after a while, except when we missed hearing Phantom's score.

A bunch of us were happy when the signal went and we missed the beginning of Blue Devils.

Crowd was mostly for Crossmen and Cadets, although there were a lot of Phantom and Cavies fans as well.

The flashbacks got great crowd reaction, although the biggest crowd reaction may have been at the very beginning, when they panned around Gillette Stadium and showed the banners for the New England Patriots. I know that I booed, since I'm a proud Eagles fan, and I wasn't the only one.

I enjoyed it and had a great time. I'd go back next year. Hopefully we won't lose the signal so many times next year!

Charlotte, NC here. Crowd was pro-Crown. Same problems as other theaters. Here's my take on the show.

- The corps were so much better this year. Better shows, better performances, and great guard performances.

- Loved the Cadets show. At the end, people didn't clap for a few seconds. It was kinda funny.

- I've never seen the Mandarins perform. They were really good.

- Loved the Glassmen's take on New World. Very good show.

- SCV has a good music book, but the drill really didn't keep me interested. I was actually surprised they moved ahead of BK. Any feedback on why thay might be?

- BC and Crown were both good. The crowd was disappointed when BC beat Crown. BUt I think Crown can come back. It wasn't a huge point spread.

- I loved the Bluecoats. I really didn't like their show last year, but this year's show was awesome. Personally think they should've placed higher than Madison.

- Madison was good, but Carmen didn't get annoying after a while.

- BD had a good show. Didn't like the idea of moving backward in time. a little too much narration, but it fit with the show.

- Phantom was my favorite of the night. Gene Kelly blended with the show very well. He didn't stick out like Carmen.

- Cavies were awesome as usual.

I agree. They're focusing too much on the "emotional" element of the shots in these cinecasts. The producers of these shows are still doing this like it's a PBS special  and they're educating the crowd. I don't think some random person going to the movies tonight was going to say to themselves, "oh, that looks like a good movie, i'll check that out. DCI, the only people attending these shows are vets, fans, family members. We know what to look for when we see these shows, give us more of a balanced pakage when you put these things together. Use that inbetween time to "educate," focus the cameras during the actual performances on the CORPS not the individual.

Sorry, my two cents. Plus, are they afraid to turn it up on the speakers where you are too?

I second that!! Good comment!

- SCV has a good music book, but the drill really didn't keep me interested. I was actually surprised they moved ahead of BK. Any feedback on why thay might be?

This was one of the minor annoyances I experienced last night. As much as I respect Steve Rondinaro, he did overkill on mentioning Santa Clara's history of surging during Finals week (which, if one were to do a historical analysis of the activity, probably isn't all that extraordinary). And he seemed to make a big deal out of SCV "passing" Blue Knights. From my recollection, Blue Knights never beat Santa Clara in head to head competition this year and they were seated below Blue Knights because the scores DCI used for these seatings came from shows at which the corps had not faced each other. Having said all that, I do believe that Blue Knights outperformed Santa Clara yesterday and was surprised to see Santa Clara on top in this. I do hope or their own sake Santa Clara does their best performance today and tomorrow, regardless of where they finish. The drum major, Stuart, is a class act.

Haven't seen a report from the Glen Allen/Richmond theater yet...

Overall a very nice show. Just had the one blip others had mentioned right after coming on the air.

I would estimate the theater was about 2/3 full. This was the first year at this theater I believe.

Picture quality was fair. I would like to know what format it was sent in. Was it 480i (standard definition)? It definitely did not look like a progressive High Definition format, like 720p. Like many have mentioned the Carolina Crown's uniforms looked terrible - totally blown out.

Audio was fair as well - would have liked it a little louder and with a little better balance between the pit and the field. Sometimes the horn lines just sounded a little muddy and weren't projecting through the pit audio.

There was a fair amount of grumbling about the narration during the Cascades show. I don't think it added to the show at all. It was fairly obvious what the corps was doing on the field without it.

Loved Crossmen's 'bum rush' at the end of their opener. That really got me pumped.

Glassmen's show really did nothing for me and I was surprised at their score. I would have put Spirit ahead of them and had Crossmen nipping at their heels.

Favorite show of the night was Phantom. But also really liked SCV and Madison.

I agree that Cadets are the leader but feel that the spread is too high.

Last night was the first time I had seen the 1994 27th Lancers Alumni Corps - that was pretty awesome.

Overall a fun night, I took my 9 year old son and he enjoyed himself. We drove 2+ hours to get to the theater and got home at 1:00 AM. Definitely worth the money. If I don't go to Madison next year I would definitely do it again.

2/3 to 3/4 full in Warner Robins GA... And definitely appreciated not having to make the 90-minute trek to Atlanta :)

Video was decent - with aforementioned contrast issues. Audio - little low, but volume was raised after many requests by audience members. Sound quality - definitely could have been better.

Worth the $15, and if not in Madison - I'll be at the Galleria in Centerville watching quarterfinals NEXT year, as well.

Everyone else has just about hammered on all the production aspects - and in agreement with most assessments.

And I'll say it again - narration and/or amplified vocals need to go <**> ... Pits were little loud overall, but don't know if it was due to mic placement or what...

Do you expect DCI to be able to stop the rain?    :)

Mike

To quote Creedence Clearwater Revival...Who'll Stop the Rain???

:P

The flashbacks got great crowd reaction, although the biggest crowd reaction may have been at the very beginning, when they panned around Gillette Stadium and showed the banners for the New England Patriots. I know that I booed, since I'm a proud Eagles fan, and I wasn't the only one.

I was the Patriot fan that clapped and I think most of the reaction came in reaction to me.