2007 Rose Bowl - Pasedena

As a native Pasadena-ite/Pasadenian/Pasadenate (whatEVER!), I have very good insight into the Rose Bowl and the surrounding areas, climate, logistics, stuff, etc.

First and foremost, with all due respect to Pee Wee, Pasadena and the surrounding areas offer just as much if not more than the greater San Diego metropolis. I highly doubt one could argue that point. I would even respectfully disagree with Pee Wee about the Rose Bowl "sucking" as a site for finals. Logistically, I can't think of any "problem" except for the egree/ingress to what they refer to as the "Arroyo Seco" to get down to the stadium. For those of you not familiar, the Rose Bowl is basically down in the bottom of a large canyon of sorts. There are several roads leading down into the "seco", however, these are older 2 lane roads. Now--in the "old days" back when I was in school, traffic could get pretty horrendous. Since the Rose Bowl is used much more, I'm positive the city has figured out logistics and getting folks in and out. So, I'm not too concerned. The "acoustics" of the stadium CAN be a problem, but if DCI thinks about it and spends the cash, one thing I think they could do is cover the visitors side with those giant black tarps so the sound can deflect off the metal seats. If you don't do that, the "twang" of the reverb CAN be pretty significant, especially on loud note releases and unison drum parts. Believe me, I've performed many times in the bowl--pretty aware of that weird noise.

From a climate standpoint, it's all a crap shoot right now with global warming. TYPICALLY in August it's significantly warmer than not, with temps up in the Pasadena area in the 90's. It is MUCH cooler at the coast. There are exceptions to this, as sometimes the monsoon flow can get into southern California proper, shooting the humidity up and even bringing us rain. What I can practically guarantee you though is that it will never get STIFLING hot, and there will never be any rain. What's strange about the weather right now (today) is that we June gloom going on. That's a low cloud/fog layer that settles over southern Cal at night, and burns off usually by noon. I know this is probably too much info for all of you, but it significantly lowers the temperature. Right now, this morning, at my house upon leaving for the fire department from where I am typing this, it is a cool 57 degrees. This really isn't normal for us, but then again, weather has been a little on the wild side for southern Cal for the past year. I can also guarantee with a certain amount of historical accuracy that you won't have to worry about thunderstorms. And if the weather is the right combination of factors, you will see some BEAUTIFUL thunderstorm clouds that "surround" southern California proper as the deserts and mountains get hit during the afternoon and evenings.

Here's where a significant concern happens...and it's about housing.

Yes, southern California has about 6 gazillion universities, colleges, city colleges, high schools, junior high schools, etc. I'm thinking that based on the challenges we've had in southern California over the years simply securing rehearsal sites for any number of corps much less housing, I think this MAY (and I stress may) become an issue. Someone said corps right now should start planning on getting into schools near the coast. Good luck. Most communities in those areas would flip out to hear a corps practicing at night as southern Californians in their gate-guarded communities love their peace and quiet. If any corps desire to bunk out in Valencia area as someone earlier indicated, or out in the Inland Empire, I WILL guarantee (minus any weather anomolies) VERY hot temperatures.

Anyway...

To say that I'm excited about this is an understatement. My hope is that ALL west coast corps will be there (and I mean ALLLLLLLLLLLLL), and that the senior corps activity out here will have a chance to perform or do an exhibition or do a mass corps thing or SOMETHING. That way, we can show the rest of the world that the west coast, and SPECIFICALLY CALIFORNIA, is where it's at when it comes to pageantry.

Good job DCI. And remember...I AM THE VOICE OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA! Available for hire....cough cough.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dunno about this one...i know California deserves DCI and it is time it is there...but the Rose Bowl? doesn't seem like the place. Old stadium....and TRAFFIC!

Can anyone say Maryland frustration times 12?

LA TRAFFIC during weekdays....Peak hour Drive times which Fans would be having to push through to get to the Stadium I wouldn't wish on anyone. 25,000+ people converging the freeways trying to get into Pasadena/Rose Bowl what a nightmare. Albeit not all would be making the Trek in but, I'd say 98% will and you have NO Idea how bad it is till you experience it first hand. I think a lot of People that attended TOC last Summer could attest to that. UGHH

LA TRAFFIC during weekdays....Peak hour Drive times which Fans would be having to push through to get to the Stadium I wouldn't wish on anyone. 25,000+ people converging the freeways trying to get into Pasadena/Rose Bowl what  a nightmare. Albeit not all would be making the Trek in but, I'd say 98% will and you have NO Idea how bad it is till you experience it first hand. I think a lot of People that attended TOC last Summer could attest to that. UGHH

Corps will have LITTLE to NO rehearsal time out there cause they'll have to leave 4 hours before they perform!!!

b**bs

It's so nice to see our Cali peeps pulling together as one and be happy and excited that DCI is coming...

Not quite sure if the comment is sarcastic or not, but I can tell you as a Californian and a person who wrote Don Pesceone personally back in 1983 asking him to bring the championships to the Rose Bowl, I'm BEYOND excited. I'm sure as the word spreads we'll get more people chiming in on how this is going to be the greatest thing ever.

:blush:

I'll be there......

And I recall driving an hour or two to get to prelims and finals during my years marching. I find it amazing people from California would complain about having DCI in their backyard....simply amazing. If the SoCal guys can't deal with it, bring it north.

Have they ever replaced the bleacher seats? I went to a couple of Super Bowls there and the seating was tight. As I remember, it is a very old stadium where they continue to add seats over the years. Fans will have to move their heads around the folks in front of them. Kind of like an old movie theater, before stadium seating. Fans may have been spoiled the past couple of years in Denver and Foxboro with their state of the art stadiums. So I will not be surprised when the main complaints will be about the traffic, the sightlines and once again, the parking prices. The way so many fans love to spend time with their sons or daughters corps during the week, that is where the traffic issue will come into play. I remember going to 8-10 different corps schools in Denver and everywhere you went, a Cavalier flag, An SCV plate or any corps bumpersticker would go by you on the highway. I would say, don't plan on watching any rehearsels in SoCal if its 30 or 40 miles from where you are staying. I think a different venue would have been better in California. On the brighter side, fly into Vegas the weekend before and stay in SoCal three nights. And there's free rooms at Jack's house(VK)!!!

I have to wonder if Qualcomm couldn't guarantee them a date, because of possible scheduling conflicts.

Good luck to folks battling the LA-area traffic on a Thurs and Friday night.

Also, this would be Esperanza's home show and would really help recruiting for this corps.

Might be San Diego needed to hold the date for a possible NFL exhibition game. THAT'S what the Rose Bowl offers........no NFL tenant who might want to play football on finals night.

David

Its not the climate or housing or traffic that concern me. Its the stadium. A bowl stadium is not a good venue for DCI finals. Having marched in 7 DCI finals and all the other shows that would lead up to finals during a season I can tell you form experience bowl stadiums are not good venues for such a hugely important show. Yes the Rose Bowl offers a large number of seats on the concert side of the stadium. But how many are going to be in excess of 50 yards from the frontside line.