2007 Rose Bowl - Pasedena

And Phan Doris just reminded me about something and probably doesn't even know it.

Phantom has come to CA 3 years in a row, now. Doesn't seem to have hurt them at all. B)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee I dunno.  Pasadena in August?  It could be 500 degrees.  Good luck finding places for all the corps to practice.  Lodging is also very expensive. 

It's hot everywhere in August -- probably less so in Pasadena, and certainly less humid than anyplace Finals has been except Denver. And lodging? Do you think it's more expensive than it is in/around Boston?

Pasadena has some wonderful opportunities for tourist.  Two incredible museums (Norton Simon and the Huntington...LACMA... The Getty Center (and the Getty Villa by that time)... MOCA... Gene Autry... the California Philharmonic ... the LA Arboretum... the Pasadena Symphony... the LA Philharmonic... the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra... the Pasadena Pops Orchestra ... Descanso Gardens ... Disneyland ... incredible shopping in Pasadena (South Lake and Old Town) ... world class reataurants, etc etc etc etc.

:sshh: Sshh! Don't give away all our secrets, or everyone will want to move here. B)

In all seriousness, I was at TOC last summer in the top row near the 50. The bad news is that you do have to be in the top couple of rows to get a decent angle on the forms. (Angles were much better at Qualcomm.) The good news is that the Rose Bowl is so freakin' big, it can probably fit 1000 people in the top row. (Just a guess)

Edited by One of the Sops

Congrats’ to Pasadena.

If I were a Corp tour coordinator I would start right now scheduling my Corps performance at Disneyland the Sunday after Finals (EVERY out of area Corp will be seeking this slot and they only give out one or two). I would be all over housing in the area of Valencia or (believe it or not) down in Orange County by the coast. Don’t worry about the traffic on Saturday, but PLAN accordingly for Wednesday – Friday. There is more lodging (for fans) within 20 minutes of the Rose bowl than 5 DCI’s can throw at it, so that is not an issue.

Enjoy LA. I’m sure this will be the first time for many of the kids, and a lot of their parents. The weather on an August evening is usually beautiful.

( I lived in So. Cal. My whole life up until the last four years)

I thought Stanford's stadium was too small

In its current state, it holds around 86.000. I wonder that when the IOC was visiting San Francisco for the Olympics, if Stanford would have been the site for track & field events. The track is one of the things that will be going bye-bye during the renovation this next year. By the time the renovation is done, the stadium will only seat around 50,000.

Suck! <**>

The Rose Bowl is NOT a good venue.

I realize that DCI tried as hard as they could, but...

Have any of you seen Qualcomm stadium? Not a pretty situation, I think that Pasadena/Rose Bowl is a very good choice. As great it would be for Esperanza to be able to hold Finals in their "home" stadium. I'm sure their members would agree with me when I say that Qualcomm and the area around it needs work before it can be taken into serious account for a finals show.

You're kidding, right?

Yeah, Mission Valley, Fashion Valley, and Hotel Circle are in just terrible shape! :blush::blush::blush: (sarcasm off)

And...let me see...I seem to recall the Tour of Champions also making a stop in San Diego. Now where was that...? Oh yeah...QUALCOMM STADIUM! Hey, if it's good enough for the San Diego Chargers and the San Diego State University Aztecs, then it's certainly good enough for DCI. :rock:

Edited by PeeWee

Waa waa waa... Gas is too high!

Well, maybe in two years it'll be too high for any of the West coast corps to go back to the Mid-West and the East like they've done year after year after year after year (+ 30 years). If the West can do it for 33 years, everyone else can do it for one!

Waa waa waa... It's in Pasadena not San Diego.

HEY! It'll be in Califreakinfornia (let alone the West) for the first time in 33 years (and more counting the pre-DCI years). I wouldn't care if they had it in Coalinga, CA or Kennewick, WA! I'll be there!

Waa waa waa... The camera angles will suck.

Well, let's see. They've got two years. Ever think they may have something planned?

Waa waa waa... Some Div II & III corps might not be able to afford it.

Well, let's find out first, shall we? On the other hand, corps from the West that might not be able to go back East go will finally be able to attend finals.

Okay. Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now.  B)

OK-maybe Randy isn't very tactful, but all points are totally right on. Stop whining already.

LuvsPAisTe (the OTHER California Randy)

I think Pasadena and the Rose Bowl will be great. Some of you just love to shoot things down so fast and cry foul or cry about how DCI missed the boat by not getting San Diego, etc. Come on. NONE OF YOU know what went on in negotiations, what was offered, the money issues that were discussed, timing, housing, etc. This kind of stuff is a complicated process. I am just really glad to see finals going to California for the 1st time ever. Way to go DCI!! Bravo. Pasadena and LA are going to be fun in 2007, with oodles of things to do out there, and beautiful weather. I can't wait. And maybe the stadium isn't perfect for finals, but life can't be perfect all the time now, can it?

Bravo DCI! 2007 Promises to be a great time.

Jonathan

how spoiled are some drum corp fans getting these days that they're complaining about what stadium finals is going to be held in? haha. i've got buddies i marched with who, now a year or two aged out, would give a kidney just to be able to afford to go and watch finals period. regardless of the venue. they're stuck watching cinecasts and/or waiting for PBS (now ESPN2.)

i have to say my pick would have been san diego too, after TOC and WGI. but like it's been stated above, nobody really knows what went on in negotiations and what not. i don't think anybody from west of denver should be complaining, because now they can take all the money they would have had to spend on travel and get super premium A+ bells and whistles seating (top row for sure at this point).