.85 from perfection

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99.15 with a boring show, one trumpet out of tune and messy drill (for a champion).  When did the judges write their scores down?

After they witnessed the other 11 performances?

Go figure.

*Sigh* this all over again?  I thought this was answered in 2002.  A score of 100 is not a "perfect" score, rather it is a "maximum" score.

To be fair, that was 3 years ago, when DCP was but an infant.

And I'll choose to disagree and say that this performance by The cadets DID deserve a 99.15!!!  You can tell by how hard it is to think of something in the performance that would have even called for a single tic in the old days.  About the only thing I can think of that would have resulted in a tic was one rifle drop in the entire show.

A superlative performance of a show worthy the distinction.

Edit to add quote this was in response to.

I saw several things tonight that would have been very obvious tics: I did not once see the Cadets form an arc and float or rotate it without the arc flattening out in several places; I saw many bad intervals between horn players; I saw block rotations where people failed to cover down as the block rotated. And I saw all of this from the 50 yard line, so its not as if I was on the side in a vantage point the judges don't have. I did not see nearly as many ensemble visual problems in either Cavaliers' or Phantom's performances. I honestly thought Cadets would not win marching tonight following their performance. If you don't believe me, watch their performances in slow motion once you have the DVDs.

BTW, this is not sour grapes. I may not have liked their product the best, but The Cadets marched and played magnificently for the most part, and I congratulate them. I just disagree with the judges regarding the visual score being as high as it was, and you did, in essence, challenge anyone to find errors that would have been "tic-able." Congrats to all the corps tonight! Can't wait for the DVDs! It was a great Finals week.

very obvious tics:

Huh? What's a tick? We dont talk about those anymore.

I just think the judges were trying to give them a high score.

All I can say is Go Phantom!!!!! The highest they've been since '94. (I know they tied BD for first in '96, but I like to block that year out of my mind.) They finally fixed their problems, a complete lack of any good visual program. Watch out for them in the next few years, if they can keep their staff around.

Sorry not buying that high of a score.

How can anything be that closee to perfection with all those performers.  128 people performing that close to perfection is impossible folks!!!!

I can see Olympic gold medalists scoring perfect 10's in events because it is one person,  but not 128 people.

Something tells me the score was this high to WOW future ESPN broadcasts and such

ps just a thought

If a swimming judge gave a 99.99 to a Women's Platform Diving Team would you be inclined to like the sport because of it ?

I'm amazed at how many people think scores are % points away from perfection.

levi

I'm amazed how many people think we can compare levels of " perfection " at all. Since " perfection " can not be perfectly defined, and is arbitrary, totally subjective, and with no objectivity whatsoever. We will always feel " cheated ' with the scores and placements some how.

How can anything be that closee to perfection with all those performers.  128 people performing that close to perfection is impossible folks!!!!

I can see Olympic gold medalists scoring perfect 10's in events because it is one person,  but not 128 people.

With 128 people, yes, that'd be impressive. But this was with 135.

And again, 99.15 was the winning score in 2002, so it's not the first time we've seen that number.