Biggest messups in DCA history?

Someone mentioned a contest in Hershey where a judge crashed into the Rochester Crusaders' chimes. I believe the year was 1977 and the judge was none other than Pepe Notaro. Yes, it is on the recording and I was the P.A. announcer (back in DCA's pre-Fran Haring era!)...

SMA

Not a good night for recording (Bugles Opus One) at Hershey. Westshoremen fell apart a bit on the final drive of the show (Chicagos Been Searching So Long). Supposedly Hershman begged the recording engineer to *ahem* perform some "studio magic" to hide it. Hard to tell but it's there if you know what to listen for. Think half the horn line was a step or two off from the other side.

But my side had it right :wub:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

notice whenever there's an ensemble tear, the person who is telling the story is always on the side/part of the field that's right :P

notice whenever there's an ensemble tear, the person who is telling the story is always on the side/part of the field that's right :P

LMAO, well let's not bring up 1975 Prelims. Know I was on the "wrong" side that year. In that case it was a honest field DM error.

Still not sure what happened at Hershey. :blink: Kind of an echo chamber effect as you could hear the other side of the horn line playing in between notes. Whole corps was facing the main DM and still was screwing up royally. (And how many weeks until we were going to try to make top 10 at DCA? :sshh: )

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

LMAO, well let's not bring up 1975 Prelims. Know I was on the "wrong" side that year. In that case it was a honest field DM error.

Still not sure what happened at Hershey. :blink: Kind of an echo chamber effect as you could hear the other side of the horn line playing in between notes. Whole corps was facing the main DM and still was screwing up royally. (And how many weeks until we were going to try to make top 10 at DCA? :sshh: )

:P funny story...a few years before(1971 I think) same thing happened at an RCA show in Cumberland Md....We were trying? to play raindrops keep falling on my head and half the line..well you get the picture..must be a Westshore thing.. b**bs

Kinda remember the whole horn line coming off the field after the 1977 Hershey fiasco with that "deer caught in the headlights" look. Then we all looked at each other like "WTF was THAT!?!?!".

Then someone had to ask "Is that going to be on the record?" ampssuck

1970s Westshore definitely had a snakebit reputation. IOW, whenever something started to look good, something bad would happen to screw it up. Think the corps missed making Finals in 1972 due to another DM error. Will have to check the scores but that's the story I heard from Bob Sprenkle (tenor drummer). And of course the corps went inactive for a while after '72 DCA.

Kinda remember the whole horn line coming off the field after the 1977 Hershey fiasco with that "deer caught in the headlights" look. Then we all looked at each other like "WTF was THAT!?!?!".

Then someone had to ask "Is that going to be on the record?" ampssuck

1970s Westshore definitely had a snakebit reputation. IOW, whenever something started to look good, something bad would happen to screw it up. Think the corps missed making Finals in 1972 due to another DM error. Will have to check the scores but that's the story I heard from Bob Sprenkle (tenor drummer). And of course the corps went inactive for a while after '72 DCA.

:blink: snakebit isn't the word for the 70's thing...maybe mis-directed, chaos, confused, you name it we had it...seems to me Sprenkle is right on...don't remember our DM's from late 60's to early 70's really having the field "presence" they could have...by late 60's I mean 69-70 etc....too many changes and not enough continuity..or something like that..... :huh:

Hey SMA... just figured out who you are... how goes it buddy?

Which "rest of the story" would you like to here? You know me, I have books full of them...

Say hello to everyone in Nashville - especially Bunny

Hi Tom,

I knew you'd figure out who I was after a few posts. Have to keep a low profile, you know. Been meaning to get on here for about three years but I've been kinda busy, LOL!

I will pass along your greeting when again I venture south in "MCL 1" 8 days from now.

I had never heard the Paul Harvey episode you recited on the watery '75 finals show and the comments by John Collum. A shame they broke the mold for HIM! What a terrific fellow.

Anyway, in less than three hours here I have reunited with over a dozen renewed friends. So it's been well worth the time and the loss of sleep. Glad you see you are alive and well and living in tsunami country (okay, been watching too much of the Science Channel). Hope your PAC-NW experience has been a good one for you to date!

I'll be reading...

SMA

:P funny story...a few years before(1971 I think) same thing happened at an RCA show in Cumberland Md....We were trying? to play raindrops keep falling on my head and half the line..well you get the picture..must be a Westshore thing.. b**bs

oh yeah it is. Allentown 96 during Marching Season.....came apart backfield as we turned for the push. #### even within the drumline we had 3 tempos going

• 3 weeks later...

Westshoremen.

The Birds. <**>

Fran

LOL - I remember that. We were sitting backfield so we saw all the action of the guys on the back sideline doing everything they could t get the birds in the air. Dangerous for the birds and the corps that followed but fully as ####.....

• 2 weeks later...

DCA '94 began with a Judges' Clinic Show in...Scranton?, but not Lackawanna in Moosic. Weird situation with about 40 judges, most in the stands.

Our Ol' Man opener had many of us in the horn line doing a follow-the-leader slide across the front sideline. I was second behind the leader as we flew stage right. I froze 2 steps beyond the 30, and everyone else stopped in their form except our leader, who had missed rehearsal that day due to work. He kept going another 5 yards. Next set called for flying backwards in our Vince Monacelli drill ('06 HoF inductee).

As we went back, he screamed...kept hollering, ok, cussed, for me to move over. I just kept playing. Finally, Denis Bergeron, yelled, thankfully, "Cozy's right. Get your ### over!" Sheepishly, he did.

I almost lost it as I heard the judge say, "It looks like the sops are having a slight disagreement here."

Years later, I still run into folks who think I blew that one. In '94 Empire, I didn't blow sets much. My notoriety was screaming a high C, perfectly in tune -- Alas, one beat too soon...by myself, in some small Western NY town.