Why drum corps has changed and why it's good

One other thing.

This should be a discussion about how electricity is used, not whether, if you ask me.

This will fall in the aiding-the-enemy category, but if I were y’all, I’d end this ill-considered fixation on how the entire board of directors was somehow mislead into this experiment. Did it ever occur to y’all that most of the board has been eager to use A&E for years, but voted no only because they were waiting for the fan base to favor more “modern” fans. And putting aside the illogic that any one director has that much influence over his independent colleagues, the fact that so many directors couldn’t wait to jump on the bandwagon (hah, band!) indicates to me much more of consensus in that community that those on DCP would be led to believe.

Focusing on repealing A&E seems a fool errand (no offense to those committed to the cause). Better to turn your efforts on persuading the directors and designers to use A&E in a manner that suits you best.

My opinion, the Devils use of narration didn’t work because any gains it provided in the form of thematic context were lost because that context distracted from the other elements (brass, drums, guard, visual, etc.) on the field. The Cadets narration worked because the context was supplied in a tight-enough package so as not to interfere. Likewise, the amplified Bluecoats drumspeak didn’t work as well as the Cadets because the speak itself wasn’t as animated or impressive. I liked what the Cadets did because it sounded good - the fundamental requirement!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

HH

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Model T cars worked. Does anyone think we shouldn't have improved on that?

I'll bet you could "improve" the game of soccer tremendously. There must be thousands of better ways to move a soccer ball across a field than the traditional kicking method. But people don't watch soccer matches to see the latest technological advances in propulsion of spherical objects. They actually prefer to see the challenge of players limited to what they can do under their own power (and without using their hands).

You'd think that with technology, we would have done away with the violin by now. It's very difficult to play well, and it's sound can be synthesized in tune far easier. Funny thing, though - people still want to hear the orchestra do things the hard way.

Oh, just in case my analogies aren't getting my points across, here's the short version:

1. Not everyone agrees that amplification is an "improvement".

2. Not everyone prefers technologically "improved" performance over the traditional authenticity of human performance skill.

This should be a discussion about how electricity is used, not whether, if you ask me.

Well, I think a "discussion" usually involves more than one person's opinion....but that's just me.

This will fall in the aiding-the-enemy category, but if I were y’all, I’d end this ill-considered fixation on how the entire board of directors was somehow mislead into this experiment. Did it ever occur to y’all that most of the board has been eager to use A&E for years, but voted no only because they were waiting for the fan base to favor more “modern” fans.

Um, no. Why? Because it's not true. The directors didn't even research fan opinion to the degree necessary to support your hypothesis.

And putting aside the illogic that any one director has that much influence over his independent colleagues, the fact that so many directors couldn’t wait to jump on the bandwagon (hah, band!) indicates to me much more of consensus in that community that those on DCP would be led to believe.

That is just plain wrong. It was a group of show designers, not directors, that were in such a rush to play with the new toys. We knew for years that there were numerous corps with directors opposing the rule change that their own designers proposed. With that fact in mind, it should not be surprising that the show designers put the new equipment to use as soon as they were allowed to.

Focusing on repealing A&E seems a fool errand (no offense to those committed to the cause). Better to turn your efforts on persuading the directors and designers to use A&E in a manner that suits you best.

IMO, the manner that suits me best would be....only in rehearsal.

Likewise, the amplified Bluecoats drumspeak didn’t work as well as the Cadets because the speak itself wasn’t as animated or impressive.

Or, more likely, because their amps weren't functioning properly. I saw the corps four times this season. Not once did I witness that amp system working for more than 30 seconds without belching noise or cutting out on the vocals.

I'm posting this to mutiple threads because it is relevant!

Drum Corps and DCI are wonderful!! In the 30+ years since the top corps has taken over the activity we have seen unprecedented growth in both participants and fans. This year’s champs are national icons and recognized the world over. ESPN 2 expects over a million viewers for its upcoming broadcast of the championships. Things are only going to get better! With the addition of woodwinds in the not so distant future the distinct sound of the old fashioned drum and bugle corps will be a distant memory. What’s next according to reliable sources taking the “no child left behind stance” the activity plans include the addition of choirs, amplified string and keyboard sections and the ever popular cheer squads! Of course all these additions have meant cuts have had to be made in other sections. According to a DCI spokesman Dr. XYZ, “the additional members have forced us to make cuts in the traditional elements of the activity, but we feel that overall production will be better. Besides have you ever tried to teach a drummer how to dance? It’s just awful; they have no rhythm and don’t get me started about those unwieldy snares and bass drums. We also feel any loss of sound can be made-up by the addition of drum machines in the pit. With the advancement of digital sampling and the addition of keyboards we felt we could getaway with much smaller numbers in our brass lines. The addition of cheerleaders is a natural supplement to our guard eh dance team.” Asked if he was concerned such changes would alienate long time fans and former members Dr. XYZ replied, “Oh heavens no! We have never really considered the fans and yet there are always people in the stands.” Stay tuned!

gee Bayonne whistled accoustically. SCV made the helicopter accoustically.

yet we need to plug em in now.

and as far as stifled creativity, from what I am reading, it seems that fan discotent w/show design is at an all time high

and as far as stifled creativity, from what I am reading, it seems that fan discotent w/show design is at an all time high

Boy do I disagree with that. Of course, to certain people here the sky is falling all the time on DCI, but attending shows gives a very different view, IMO.

Will every person like every show? Of course not. But...the crowd reations right down the line at the shows I saw were very positive.

Mike

well not like we've ever disagreed before Mike, but more and more people are coming out and expressing dissatisfaction. that's ok tho, we'll be told to go relive our youth elsewhere

One other thing.

This will fall in the aiding-the-enemy category, but if I were y’all, I’d end this ill-considered fixation on how the entire board of directors was somehow mislead into this experiment. Did it ever occur to y’all that most of the board has been eager to use A&E for years, but voted no only because they were waiting for the fan base to favor more “modern” fans. And putting aside the illogic that any one director has that much influence over his independent colleagues, the fact that so many directors couldn’t wait to jump on the bandwagon (hah, band!) indicates to me much more of consensus in that community that those on DCP would be led to believe.

My opinion, the Devils use of narration didn’t work because any gains it provided in the form of thematic context were lost because that context distracted from the other elements (brass, drums, guard, visual, etc.) on the field. The Cadets narration worked because the context was supplied in a tight-enough package so as not to interfere. Likewise, the amplified Bluecoats drumspeak didn’t work as well as the Cadets because the speak itself wasn’t as animated or impressive. I liked what the Cadets did because it sounded good - the fundamental requirement!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

HH

oh heavens yes. they were so eager to vote yes, that a year after theyt voted, they were shown how it really worked and came out of the meeting totally stunned. they voted it in w/no idea on how it really worked.

well not like we've ever disagreed before Mike, but more and more people are coming out and expressing dissatisfaction. that's ok tho, we'll be told to go relive our youth elsewhere

While attendanc goes up and up...and I see a mix of both oldtimers and young folks at the shows I attended.

Mike