Most Standing O's A Show Has Received

27th Lancers in 1994 had 'em throwing babies.

Crown Imperial was ridiculous. Drum solo (27 snares). Danny Boy was just off the hook. Sustained standing ovation with many audience members in tears.

Madison 95 comes real close to that impact with a sustained standing o for the last minute and a half (I timed it off the vhs tape). Once they hit the 50 and turned the wheel, it was out of its mind.

The Empire Statesmen got that kind of response pretty regularly in the 80's and 90's when they did the color presentation. The GE combined with the patriotism and the smoke and stuff. Fans really dug it.

Wildest ovation, though, was Two-Seven.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the Bridgemen's show the year they used signs since you could use vocals (man those were the days) and they just walked off the field. Can't remember the year, sometime in the 70's, maybe 78 or 79? The crowd went wild!!!! Took forever for them to sit down. Talk about making the judges mad! They didn't win any friends on the judge corp that year. b**bs

oops. I meant couldn't use vocals!! Sorry.

BD '76:

End of Channel One - Standing ovation

End of "Legend" - Standing ovation

End of the Re-entry - Standing ovation

:)

In my recent years cus I've not lived that long since the beginning.

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard (like at least 3 MASSIVE ones during the show)

2000 The Cavaliers

2000 The Cadets (oh so wonderful)

2002 The Cavaliers (didn't like the show but it got standing o's)

2003 Blue Devils

BD '76:

End of Channel One - Standing ovation

End of "Legend" - Standing ovation

End of the Re-entry - Standing ovation

:)

Boston Crusaders all through the 70's. So many standing O's I cant even begin to count how many we had. \

People were throwing themselves at the corps at the end of Conquest.

It was such pure pleasure to recieve each and every one of them...

One I do remember though, I think it was in 1978 we were in Bayonne, New Jersey. Veterans Stadium.

We warmed up on the starting line, when we turned around each and every one of us had on these huge big bright bright yellow sunglasses twice the size of our faces.

Well the crowd roared with laughter, from then on it was standing O after standing O. what a great crowd that was. Oh the memories!!! B) B)

Edited by bobk9258

For my money, Spirit of Atlanta 1978, in the corps' second year of existence and first as a DCI finalist (sixth place).

Walk Him Up the Stairs (opening fanfare): Standing ovation at end of park and blow.

Higher and Higher: (Standing ovation at end)

Let It Be Me: The most amazing standing ovation I've ever witnessed. Show after show, the audience would stand at the big push and STAY standing (with no one from behind complaining for those in front to sit down) through the end of the show, over a minute later.

There might have been other standing ovations, but those are the ones that struck me as being huge.

Mike

It seems to me just about every time I saw Spirit, in the 78, 79, and 80 seasons, the standing O for Let It Be Me was just like that, standing at the big push and remaining there to the end.

In my opinion, standing Os in frequency and duration were more in the late 70s than any other period since DCI started.

The 1995 Madison Scouts received by my count roughly 5 standing ovations in Buffalo, NY. It was the loudest and most amazing ovations I have ever seen.

1 ovation as they came onto the field

1 after their opener

1 after the percussion feature

1 in the middle of Malaga (the big hit)

and 1 that started with the rotating company front to the end of their show a minute later, and that ovation went on and on and on...

Crowd just ate them up.

Jonathan

Lesse:

82 Blue Devils

• End of opener
  • End of One More Time (every show)
  • Fans cheering on their feat during the gate turns at finals (you can hear it on the album), then erupting at the end of the show.

The Bayonne show, though, was something else. We had a standing ovation coming onto the field. The show was on fire, with each tune getting an ovation, followed by a massive, long lasting ovation at the end of the show.

84 Blue Devils

• End of opener
  • Beginning of La Fiesta with the hornline playing as loud as we could possibly play after the sop trio. From the staff's perspective, they wanted the volume and sound to just overwhelm the stands.
  • End of La Fiesta. More overwhelming volume, with the horn line close to the front side line just cranking.
  • Re-entry (pseudo gates) all the way to the end of the show.

Fun times!

85 Blue Devils

• First set of chords in the opener got the stands on their feat
  • Second set of loud chords in the opener got the stands throwing babies, jumping up and down pumping fists. Always fun to watch.
  • First big hit after the drum solo.
  • End of "Piano Concerto" where the hornline again just cranked with massive sound.
  • End of the show.

The ovations in 82 and 84 seemed more rabid than 85. Many, many, ovations over the years. Always a thrill to see from the perspective of the field. Particularly when they are out of control ovations with people jumping up and down in the middle of a song (i.e. La Fiesta hornline intro).

Edited by bd5times

I gotta give a mention to ' 75 Madison Scouts. That show had so many impact points built in to it and the performers never seemed to miss ANY of them.

At finals I witnessed at least two of the standing O's from the back sideline as we waited to go on after them.

Man, those guys could really bring it! :worthy: