No 2006 DCA at Hershey

George I'm flabbergasted at your reply (mainly because it's coming from you)

DCA supports its sponsors... right now, I'm more concerned that five star find an adequate venue for their regular season show next year or work things out with Hershey...  DCA championships is difficult enough to run without trying to run it somewhere where you are NOT wanted.

I can only think that you don't know all the details... see me at DCA and perhaps I can enlighten you further.

If you say it's the right decision then I must concur. I guess what I disagree with is the "tone" of the article in that DCA is "siding with the sponsor" and "sticking it to Hershey" when IMO DCA isn't in the position to take that tact and burn those bridges. Obviously you must know something I am not aware of. DCA needs a better venue - that Scranton site sucks.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCA needs a solid venue - and Hershey Park has it.  The economic impact of DCA is attractive - but not to the degree that they can go around imposing morality on folks.  The way to deal with a difficult vender is to hire a lawyer to negotiate a solid, air-tight contract.  That would have been the best $2000 DCA could have spent.

Hmmm, $2000 Lawyer contract vs a Billion Dollar Corp who doesn't care who bad it looks in the eyes of the public. My verdict is DCA could do better elsewhere with less headaches.

My guess is if HERCO got a sweet deal where they would host a big name (read big $$$) act Labor Day Weekend they'd look real hard at the costs involved in breaking the DCA contract. And if HERCO could make more money by breaking the DCA contract and paying the fine, HERCO would do it in a heartbeat.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the only money HERCO would make with DCA is stadium rental plus extra customers at Hershey Park. Doesn't sound like a big money maker to me.

Edit (just read Georges last post): With Five Star hosting and given the bad blood between HERCO and Five Star, my opinion is DCA should not chance it. And I agree with George about Scranton, hotel space will kill future DCA growth.

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

bravo DCA!  ^OO^  ^OO^  ^OO^

sometimes George...you just have to send a "screw you" message when you get screwed over, no matter the cost....and this is one of those times.

I agree with you 100%. I was in a somewhat similar situation several years ago and I did the same thing, more or less. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and stand your ground. This was definitely one of those cases. Bravo DCA!

bad decision

George,

As I was in the courtroom, and covered the story for DCP and DCW, talked to parties on all sides and basically kepot threads in here and the junior forum going for weeks, allow me to fill you in on a few facts you may not have seen posted.

1) HERCO publically stated after the show was canclled they would never deal with Five Star again. This is after HERCO admitted on the stand they do not follow their own contracts. Their contracts state they must be signed within a certain amount of days before the show, and as recent as two years ago, the contract was signed and delivered to Five Star 3 days AFTER the show.

2) HERCO has shown that they care about $$$. Any group now trying to run a show in Hershey will now see a contract of well over 15k or more to run a show there....with the added provision that HERCO can tack on any other charges they see fit, even after the contract is signed. So you can sign your deal for say 20k, and by the day of the show owe them 40k. now that';s just stupid business to agree to.

3) HERCO has shown they will only work with you when their back is against the wall, and then, watch the fangs come out. For a major entertainment company, they couldn't be happy that their way of business was exposed in court, but ignored in the press. why? advertising dollars.

trust me, as much as I would love finals or any drum corps back in Hershey, After seeing how they do not follow their own contracts, and reserve the right to jack up fees even after you sign your deal, any group going there while Matthew Ford is in charge is, IMO in the business of running a stupid business.

for all the issues w/every other bid site, they all look better than HErshey as long as the current regime is in there.

no problem. It's a confusing mess, especially since the local media did their best to cover HERCO's advertising dollars in their extremely onesided campaign. so much for media being anti big business at least around here :P

But seriously. HERCO's testimony did them in, and even the judge noted that they were less than willing to work a win win at that time.

When public backlash got loud, they caved and moved Destiny's Child to the arena. Then they said "ok run your show", and sent a contract no fool would agree to. It wasn't just that rent went up 100%. Five Star was ok with that. it was all the other added in fees and the provision that they can add whatever they want after it's signed.

I know for fact other groups have contacted HERCO, and have gotten great song and dance about running shows there, but HERCO won't commit anything to paper.

Which, is the issue...they refuse to sign anything until they have to, in case something better comes along.

I know for fact other groups have contacted HERCO, and have gotten great song and dance about running shows there, but HERCO won't commit anything to paper.

Which, is the issue...they refuse to sign anything until they have to, in case something better comes along.

Which reminds me..... Wonder where the Big 33 Football game will be next year. If not it Hershey that would be the first time ever.

Which reminds me..... Wonder where the Big 33 Football game will be next year. If not it Hershey that would be the first time ever.

Not only the Big 33 game.... Cavalcade of Bands has their championships there too

...posted before finishing reading the thread...

Edited by CVQuesty

Cavalcade has other options, and did in fact leave Hershey for a few years. At that time of the year, the stadium isn't in as high of demand...PIAA playoffs for football havent started yet.

if the BIG 33 left Hershey, I can tell you heads would roll. But it's nice to see that 4 weeks before the game, they didn';t have a signed contract, in their own VP's words.