33 years of DCI champions

So, another thread has got me thinking, in the past thirty three years of judged nationals has there been a corps judged champion that you might not agree with ?

Not that you dont like them ? DId you feel another corps clearly, without a doubt, thats the key here 'Clearly without a doubt' out performed the winner and should have been the champion ??

Please, keep it civil, respectful and no one word answers, if you name a corps, try and give a reason why you feel this way...could lead to some interesting discussion.

Remember, this isnt to bash any corps, or their accomplishments, dont just pick a corps cause you like them. Its about the performance that night.

......GO !

~G~

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK ~G~

I knew as soon as I said that in the last thread it was a mistake, but here it goes.

and PLEASE people, remember this is JUST MY OPINION (although I know I am not alone on these as all were extremely hotly debated at the time, and in the few years after they occurred)

One last thing. I really think that if you were not actually there at finals, and are just judging off video you might want to avoid this topic, we all know its just not the same.

With that said, here is what I think.

I was at finals from 1986-1996.

86-90 as a member, 91-96 as staff.

1986 - BD, absolutely, the best and they deserved to win.

1987 - Cadets, controversial, beat SCV by .1 but in my opinion deserved the win

1988 - Madison won, but in my (and alot of peoples opinion) SCV should have won.

If you have never seen SCV 88 it was a better show than 89

1989 - SCV won, but at the time, and even still, a lot of people though Regiment

should have. And please don't give me the "they got the most votes

in the fan poll argument". They were better in 88 and my theory on the

votes thing is that a lot of HS kids just saw Phantom of the Opera in the

movie theatre and wanted to see SCV. They were awesome in 89, but

better in 88 and 1989 was Regiments peak between 79 and 96.

1990 - Cadets won, and I thought deserved it. Some would argue for Cavaliers.

1991 - Star won and deserved it hands down

1992 - Cavaliers won and deserved it.

1993 - Cadets won, but MANY would argue for Star that year. 50/50 in my opinion

1994 - BD won and was by far the best.

1995 - Cavaliers won, but I prefered BD who was undefeated going into finals

week. In my defense I didn't see either of them live finals night.

1996 - PR and BD. As off the wall as it sounds I honestly think they deserved to

Tie. Both were great for different reasons.

So there ya go. and remember, THIS IS JUST MY OPINION.

I will say that some of these opinions though were widely held at the time they occured, and in the next few years, but time fades such things.

Anyone agree with any of these?

None of them?

Keep it nice.

I think '89 could have gone either way between Phantom and SCV. Actually, over the years, I've begun leaning toward giving the nod to Phantom.

In '74, I think that Kingsmen could have won again, but that's probably just emotional favoritism talking.... (one of my absolute favorite all time shows)

Well I was involved in the Activity since 1982 and here's my thoughts.

1982 - BD Hands down the Winner

1983 - Cadets (I didn't see more than one show that year so have no differing opinion)

1984 - Cadets (I watched top 5 from right by the press box and though BD should have won)

1985 - Cadets (they were the clear winner)

1986 - BD (nobody could touch them)

1987 - Cadets (definately won, but if SCV didn't have the tear at the begining I woulda given it to them)

1988 - Madison (I thought SCV and maybe even BD)

1989 - SCV (didn't go to finals but thought PR had the show that year)

1990 - Cadets (I liked Cavies but thought Cadets won on finals night)

1991 - Star Hands Down

1992 - Cavies Cavies Came to play on finals night

1993 - Cadets ( it was a toss up but I thought Cadets had the whole package)

1994 - BD again Hands Down

1995 - Cavies had the whole package that year

1996 - PR & BD (Didn't see finals, but at Allentown I thought PR had the best show of the year)

1997 - 1998 Didn't go to finals but thought the scoring seemed right

1999 - Woulda given it to SCV becuase I Personally prefered their show, but thought BD won on finals night.

2000 - Toss up between the two winners, but my brother thought Cavies had won.

2001-2003 Didn't go to finals and in 2002 didn't see all corps, but I hear Cavies were on in 01 & 02, and I prefered BD in 03.

2004 - Cavies were clearly the winner during finals week

2005 - Cadets were clearly the winner during finals week

These are just my thoughts

I'm only going to offer my opinion for the championships I actually attended. I agree that judging from video/DVD isn't the same.

Since 1990, I think the judges have correctly picked the "best" corps on the field for the championship. It hasn't necessarily been the corps I liked best on Saturday night, but I'll willingly concede the judges rewarded the best performance.

HH

Ah yes "PR" , I started this with you in mind, and no, nobody should be offended.

My take :

I will start with 79 since thats the first finals I saw live and it wouldnt be fair to go back further

79 - Loved PR but BD deserved the win.

80 - Loved 27th, but BD deserved the win

81 - Loved BD but understand now that drums cost them the title, so, I guess SCV deserved the win.

82 - Blue Devils - no contest

83 - Garfield deserved the win

84 - Sorry, Sam, "any other year" but Garfield show was just too strong

so, Garfield deserved the win.

85 - Horns and drums but no title, BD was good, but Garfield deserved the win

86 - Blue Devils - no contest

87 - Sorry, SCV deserved the win Heres the first I dont agree with

88 - Ok, going into nats undefeated and the Blue Devils wind up third ??

They just didnt get the credit they deserved for the difficulty they really had in their show. While some really smart people explained to me why Scouts won ! And I tend to agree on a good day, The Blue Devils were robbed of their title in 1988, notice how the experimental performance order died, real quick ?Ok, so this is two I dont agree with.

89 - Loved Phantom, however, SCV had that little extra something to stay ahead of PR, I call it GE, my pal Jeff Ream, blames PR's drum line.

90 - All six were championship caliber, Cadets had the most balanced show, I agree, Cadets deserved the win.

91 - Star, no contest.

92 - I still cant understand what put Cavies over Star ? Finals night performance was not as emotional as Semis, somewhat sloppy, and kinda flat. Star was flawless, brass, visual, I dont get it ?? Star deserved the win.ok thats three I dont agree with

93 - Loved Star, Loved Cadets, I so can see why Cadets won, they deserved the win

94 - Blue Devils, no contest

95 - BD, again, undefeated til nats, wind up third. I still feel they shoulda won in my heart, but......imo, Cavies deserved the win.

96 - BD, PR....deserved the win.

97 - Blue Devils, deserved the win, just too clean to be overtaken.

98 - Cadets, no contest

99 - BD/SCV a tie that was actually deserved.

00 - Just troubling all around, both corps had something over the other, so I guess the tie was valid, both deserved the win.

01 - Cavies deserved the win, BD was cleaner though

02 - Cavies deserved the win

03 - BD deserved the win

04 - So close, but Cavies were more complete

05 - Phantom was my favorite, by far..........but...........yes, Cadets did deserve the win.

So, from 79 - 05, I have had only three opportunities to gripe, maybe five, but I can understand why in two occasions the corps I thought were better didnt win......

~G~

By doing the finals that I have been to... There are only 2 I can say I disagree with. (only been to 98, 99, 00, 04 but I have my tickets for Madison)

99 BD/SCV tie - I love SCV... but after there performance on Finals night, I thought BD would have won... I was so nervous. However, if you take their encore performance as if it was their finals performance, then hands down they were better. I also spoke with someone from their staff that year (was a high school vis guy of mine) and he would say the same thing.

00 Cavies/Cadets tie - I think Cavies should have won alone

All the rest: Cadets 98, Cavies 04 are truly the winners.

well, the ones I REALLY dont agree with are as follows.

1989... Phantom deserved it, but SCV was still amazing

1996... Phantom beat Blue Devils no questions asked.

1999... SCV won, not tie, no questions.

2000... Cavies deserved it

2004... I though BD had it.. oh well.

~>conner

2004...  I though BD had it.. oh well.

~>conner

During the second half of the season I knew Cavies were going to pull ahead of BD... I liked BD a lot but Cavies were just improving at a better rate.

That said, seeing/listening to them now I can really see how BD could have won. Both had excellent shows and executed them really well.