33 years of DCI champions

You're wrong :P

I'm but a lowly high schooler, so my choices are based off of recordings...

93...Okay, at first I had only seen Star's show, and I couldn't believe someone beat them at their level of execution. ....Then I saw Cadets' show and everything made a lot more sense. That show was FAST! Holy Christ was it fast. someone previously said it was pure Cheese...eh...like the commercials say, "Behold the Power of Cheese!". :worthy: I prefer Cadets' show that year even though Star was in a league of their own in maturity. (...wait, does that make me immature?)

96...haven't seen BD, but I wish they would've beaten Phantom just for the sake of Phantom still being the "best corps to never win Finals". It's always more fun to root for the underdog (no offense to Phantom...that show was EMOTION)

99...again, haven't seen BD, but even if I did my bias against them would put SCV on top

00...eh....Most people prefer Cavies, as do I, but I can't pick which one I thought should win more. Cavies had the visual and music(IMO), Cadets had...well, "the power of CHEESE"...again.

01...Liked Cavies more, they seemed to have the full package. Compare BD to them and BD seems boring. People say BD out-executed them at Finals...eh...they won in 03 due to that so everyone's happy.

03...Like I said, BD out-executed Cavies, but Cavies demand was higher than a hippy...they had to perform with those horrendous guard unis on too. I mean...I got the intended effect with the two sides......but JEEZ were they ugly...and a tad revealing for some  :master:

04...Same principles as the previous year except that Cavies demand was lowered a tiny bit and the music was upped for the audience; so do the math and it'll equal a championship for the Cavies. BD seemed like they performed the same show from last year(what with that same daaaaaa daaaaaa da da daaaaa daaaaaa da da being stuck in again), it just kinda brought me down.

05...Are you kidding? Get rid of the NARRATION you WGI wannabees!!! Unfortunately talking is now considered 'accepted' for many.... :( Execution you will get credit for. Narration you will get flamed for. In a perfect world, Phantom would've won, but eh...gas prices almost passed $3.00 recently, so I guess I have nothing to complain about.

You dislike the Cadets as much as Tommy dislikes the Cavaliers. Based on your discriptions.

Edited by boxingfred

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of words to say nothing.

You used that guard integration line before. And you are wrong again.

Have you ever written a drum corps or Band field show ? I have.

You attack alot of peoples opinions. why? Are you always that right?

The Devils were good visually. I think based on my vewing of the 2003 shows that Cavaliers were better. Pyware Rules! Internet Tough Guy.

I dont attack anyones opinions You seem so convinced in your argument, actually taking away from the achievement that the Devils attain, I offered my opinion, just as valid or throwaway as yours, and I dont care if you walk on water, or write drill for his royal highnesses heaven band, its irelevant to the argument at hand, irelevant to my opinion, and irelevant to the design of a Blue Devils show, and how it achieves at a higher degree than the Cavaliers...guess the judges thought so also, huh ?? Pyware tough guy ! :P

~G~

PS: Btw, just because someone doesnt agree with you , doesnt mean you are being attacked.

I dont attack anyones opinions You seem so convinced in your argument, actually taking away from the achievement that the Devils attain, I offered my opinion, just as valid or throwaway as yours, and I dont care if you walk on water, or write drill for his royal highnesses heaven band, its irelevant to the argument at hand, irelevant to my opinion, and irelevant to the design of a Blue Devils show, and how it achieves at a higher degree than the Cavaliers...guess the judges thought so also, huh ?? Pyware tough guy ! :P

~G~

PS: Btw, just because someone doesnt agree with you , doesnt mean you are being attacked.

It seems we have a strong difference of opinion. Mine based on my drum corps experience. And, Yours based on your drum corps experience.

91 -- This one was not even close.  Star was only robbed by not getting a higher score, and a bigger gap.  Cavaliers did not have the musical content or depth to compete, and the gap in brass quality was the size of the grand canyon.

Ahh yes, but the gap between visual quality was even wider in favor of The Cavaliers. (Wow, Star might be the worst marching corps, from an individual technique standpoint, to win DCI ever!!!)

Edited by profhill

HAHAHAHA, this kid cracks me up.  He's so Anti-Cavaliers. It's all good, yo. 

SMM

You're not anti-______ (insert corps), KID?

'93 Star presented a show that was much more intellectually and musically mature than Cadets (imho), and should have been rewarded for that effort. Cadets performed the #### out of what they had, but in retrospect, it looks like pure cheese now, vs Star, whose show is still as vital as it was then.

I could not disagree with you more. I know, I know. . .you're shocked.

I just watched both 93 shows yesterday on DVD w/ surround sound. First, both music books were amazing. Both had amazing visual packages. Most importantly, both shows would stand up very well today over a decade later. The demand Cadets had with the speed in that show coupled with the odd rhythms in the book was just unreal to me. Then with Star you had all of the visual tricks, body work to go along with the cold and very clean music package.

Cadets and Star 93 would BOTH still be HOT shows if done today.

Whoa whoa whoa. I don't dislike a corps. They didn't kill anyone of my family or friends. I just dislike shows.

You're not anti-______ (insert corps), KID?

I'm not really sure if you are asking me if I am anti-any corps....but I'm not. I do have my favorites. But with all the ones that I do dislike, I still give credit where credit is due. If a corps that I dislike is better than I corps I love....then kudos to the corps I dislike.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.... and are you calling me a kid? I don't think being 26 makes me much of a kid.

SMM

On further review (of some of the Legacy DVD's...)

SCV, as much as I loved them in '78, should not have been able to win with that performance. Only problem was that of the top four, only Madison really seemed to be "on" that night - and they closed the show with a friggin BeeGees tune. Can you say "retrograde"?...  :P Perhaps this is a year where there should have been a four-way tie for 2nd place...

Mobrien:

Agreed, and I'll go with 4-way tie for second and no winner. We will have to disagree on one point as far as the only corps "on" that night. I agree Madison was on fire as was Bridgemen. However, having lived through the poor preliminary performance, finals, by contrast, was smoking.

Rocketman - 2nd sucks and so do ampssuck