33 years of DCI champions

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you can never bring up 89 without the SCV vs. PR subject.

As a member of PR I have to say it was an amazing summer.

as has been noted, SCV won GE and thats what gave it to them.

PR won visual and brass. (someone criticized the lack of marching in the drum solo)

Even as a member of PR I had to give credit to SCV after all they went thru DCI week.

For those of you who are to young to remember, they got caught with 2 overage members the week before DCI. (NOT SCVs fault by the way, they had forged their birth certificates).

At the time, there was talk of DQing them, but I don't think that was ever a serious consideration.

Then at quarterfinals, they score a 97.0, but get assesed a .2 penalty for something or another so PR gets the nod with our 96.9

afer things got sorted out they got the penalty removed and got to go on last at semis after all.

THEN, at finals the announcer when reading the scores read

"In second place, with a score of 98.4, the SSSSSSSantom Regiment"

We were next to them in retreat and both corps did a double take, and it took a few seconds to sink in.

was the most bizarre 3 day event I was ever a part of LOL

For those of you who really loved SCV in 89, you owe it to yourself to see their 88 show, it really was better.

2003 - BD won, but I disagreed with the spread over Cavies - way too big.

Just saying...

The Cavaliers weren't as clean as The Cadets or Blue Devils. The Cadets smoked The Cavaliers in terms of Visuals and Musical Performance and obviously Blue Devils heading everything else. Reason why The Cavaliers were higher than the Cadets was a huge gap between their General Effect. The Cadets were 0.10 away from Blue Devils' brass, 0.10 away from Blue Devils' visual performance and were very close to Blue Devils in other captions as well, leaving Cavaliers "dirtier" than Blue Devils or Cadets. However the Cavaliers won 2nd with a whopping 0.60 spread over The Cadets in General Effect

Somehting else to notice is most controversy came int he years with fewer judges.

Over the years I marched and taught there were as many as 11 and as few as 6 judges. not surprisingly the SCV/PR 89 debate stems from the year with 6 judges.

72-79 yes

80 no

81-87 yes

88-89 no

90-91yes

92 no

93-98yes

99 no

00 no

01-04 yes

Here is my take on the year's I've been to Championships:

1978 - SCV squeeked it out (despite it not being their best performance).  No dispute.

1979 - BD was just too clean for PR to overtake.  No dispute.

How can you claim "no dispute" AND state Santa Clara did not have thier best perfomance. Those two statements are in conflict and would tend to indicate that dispute is warranted.

As far as 1979 goes, again, BD was NOT cleaner, check the recaps! They won because of a 1.3 difference in GE! Since your statement referenced "too clean," I will not editorialize on what some might consider "questionable general effect adjudication.

Rocketman - 0 for 3

ampssuck

2005-Cadets Win All captions 99.15! With a unique show based on a young girls dreams. Cavies 2nd. Phantom plays Gershiwin music the crowd favorite

2004- Cavaliers 007 show no question the best of the year. Devils a close 2nd. With porgy and Bess. SCV wins crowd with Scheherazade and kick as* drums.

2003- Devils won with a show based on cool jazz tunes. I thought Cavies should have won. Spin Cycle,The most physically demanding show ever. Cadets crowd favorite!

2002-Cavaliers Hands down. How can a corps win if you don't understand the show? Or hum a melody from the show. Just be the best in each caption. Just like the 2005 cadets. sana drums cavies.

2001-Cavies OK! Devils OK! Cadets OK! on visual strength Cavies Win!

2000- I pick Cadets but a Tie? with Cavies? Maybe I can see that.

1999- SCV yes! but they tie with Devils!

1998- Cadets, best show of the year. Stonehenge SCV 2nd Devils 3rd

1997- I thought the Cadets had the best show. Celebration. Devils won with Casablanca

1996- Devils and Phantom Tie. I liked Phantom that year. Very emotional show.Defiant Heart. Devils did the ganster thing, good show though.

1995- Cavies Planets! This is the only year i can't remember what Cadets did.

1994- Close but Devils Spanish Heart ( I think) over Cadets West side story

1993- I pick The Cadets In the spring time when knights go off to war. Only because I think Star was way ahead of their time and the judging community had to catch up to the whole corps visually interpreting the music. among other things. I could write an essay.

1992- Cadets should have won. Perilous Skies. Cavies won by .4 I think.

1991-Star Roman show beats Cavalies. i agree

1990- Cadets Bernstien beats Cavaliers by a point. I saw prelims I missed finals. I met a woman at the hotel. What can i say. Cadets won prelims hands down. I won on finals night.

1989- SCV was just too good. If this was any other year, Phanton would have won.

1988- I remember hating the way the finals were decided. no prelim scores. it took away from a Madison victory. It seemed like the fix was in for Madison. madison was great they won. SCV did Phantom of the Oprea. The people around me thought SCV won. The Blue Devils sporting Grey uniforms went undefeated most of the season, But were acused of excessive park and blow. Maybe that hurt them. I loved Devils show this year: Happy Days are here again, Good bye yesterday. Since I fell for you. A very crowd friendly show. Great ending!

1987- Cadets win with Appalachian Spring. One of my favorite shows of all time! SCV played RCM. I remember their symetrical drill the first half of their show. .1 win for Cadets! Cavaliers played some stuff that was way over my head. good but i didn't understand it.

1986-Devils just over power everybody They were great! Chanel One Suite! SCV 2nd.

1985- Cadets were beautiful and beat SCV. I agree.

1984- Cadets do it again! Devils and SCV are great! Put all three in a bowl pick a name!

Wow! Lots of memories!

Edited by boxingfred