2005 Individual DVD's

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question. I downloaded every apd available this summer, including Oregon Crusaders. According to the program book this year, their opener was a Stephen Melillo piece "Festival of Light"

Did they change this piece of music or is it the actual opener from their show. How is it that this piece is able to be downloaded and not the Bluecoats?

From DCI.ORG:

"Due to pending licensing, the Bluecoats and Oregon Crusaders individual performance DVDs are not available for purchase at this time. All parties are presently working on the issue to ensure that the licensing issues will be resolved as quickly as possible."

Not sure about downloads, but the DVDs are an issue. How about some better planning by corps and assistance from DCI on what can be played? These issues need to be resolved WAY before the composition of shows is undertaken. Heck, the WGI website has a list of notoriously difficult composers to stay away from. Some are even off limits. How about a website or master list of taboo music? There is so much great music out there, these few composers will not be missed.

I believe Melillo self-publishes, and therefore holds his own copyrights.  Not quite sure, though.  I will say this -- I've had to purchase scores and reference recordings from this guy, and his prices are fairly ridiculous.  Check out his site -- I think it kind of gives a little insight into the person himself.

http://www.stormworld.com/

If you go under "Commissioning", click on the link that says "Permission to Arrange Contract."

No. 5 on page 2 could be the problem.

You should probably bookmark CopyCat Music Licensing as well.

Edited by Wildabeast

VHS are waay more expensive and harder to make back then ( for instance 100 cds costs 1/8 the price of 100 VHS)

Also the way they make DVD's these days is incredibly fast.

The point is that I paid close to $29 for a tape of an individual performance 22 years ago. It doesn't matter what technology was used, DCI used the most popular format at that time. We didn't have DVDs (not even CDs yet). The fact that individual recordings have not gone up at all in 22 years is in fact amazing. The production costs don't matter, the market value, you would think, would have gone up.

If you go under "Commissioning", click on the link that says "Permission to Arrange Contract." 

Interesting that "Ritual Fire Dance" by de Falla is on the denied list. My corps played it way back in 1970-71 as did other corps. Were we in violation then or was it different since the instruments of the day were unconventional and out of the band mainstream?

Is this just the music business catching up to drum corps as it has become more of a "big business" itself?

actually #5 relates to advertising or selling the arrangement not recordings of the arrangement. Look at #8 which refers to selling recordings of the arrangement. It says that 10% of the sales needs to go to Melillo. So if the CD & DVD bundle is sold for $98. that includes 48 performances, 2 of which are the bluecoats, and only 1/3 of the bluecoats show is actually Melillo's music. So I guess based on that melillo would get about $1.36 per sale of the CD/DVD bundle.

A few points to help folks understand...

There are three separate sets of rights to be obtained:

1. Arranging/Performing rights. This is the responsibility of the competing corps. As we have heard in this thread, getting these rights varies in difficulty. Copycat Music licensing is very helpful. DCI helps by reminding us all to take care of business.

2. Rights to sell on CD. Very easy to get, usually from the Harry Fox Agency. Usually costs $.08 per song per CD.

3. Sync rights for video. More difficult and usually expensive. The Kiwanis Beatles show was denied permission a few years ago.

So, even though a group gets the rights to arrange, it may not be possible for DCI to get the sync rights to release them on video.

This is also a relatively recent phenomenon. It is not surprising at all that folks have played prohibited pieces in the past - we never used to even think about getting permission from composers to perform their stuff. And most of them looked the other way because we were a youth activity, making very little money from the sale of recordings.

This has changed significantly with the incredible increase in the amount of money generated by these recordings. IMHO, it is only fair that a composer be paid for his or her work. It is also fair for someone to decide they do not want to hear their music performed by other groups. It is, after all, their property.

It is also fair for someone to decide they do not want to hear their music performed by other groups. It is, after all, their property.

Then they should check the "not for hire" box on the copyright form before they send in their 20 bucks.

<**>

Ok,

Enough Melillo bashing. Stephen's positions on his music are clearly stated in his permission to arrange contract. I don't want to speak for Stephen, but his t's are crossed and i's dotted. IF there is an issue with copyright, I can guarantee the mistake would be coming from the bluecoats side. Steve has never been completely hyped about arranging or allowing for arranging of one of his existing pieces. That's why the permission to arrange is darn near the same price as an original composition for the field. It involves the cutting up of what Steve sees as a completed work. One of which is no longer the same work or concept of the original. Something ANY composer would be a little nervous about. Steve is rigid, Steve demands excellence, Steve can be VERY demanding,

BUT, Steve is also VERY FAIR. Besides being a composer, he is an excellent educator who cares for and about kids.

I was one of the original comissioners of HAJJ and I thought the 'Coats did a decent job with it. That being said, I don't know how Steve felt about it.

As far a previous posts are concerned. Yes, Steve's prices are a little spendy. But for those of you who have experienced a Mellilo piece the way it was intended, you completely agree with his pricing. I could go on, but let's just say for most people who have spent time with Steve, he is probably the most amazing person you may ever meet. And again, I guarantee he's sticking to his end of the bargain as far as the 'Coats are concerned. My feeling is that the 'Coats probably asked for more than what was in the original agreement. For Steve, it's most likely about principle and not money.

Eric

Edited by SCVdrums

I seem to remember at least 2 other corps doing Melillo music in the past(Crown and Colts I think) 5 years or so. If I remember right, I think someone on Colts staff had said that one of the Melillo pieces was written specifically for their show by Melillo. Looking at the video box, 2000 Colts was entirely Melillo music. So has something changed in the last 5 years, or was this just somehow overlooked years ago? And if Melillo did specifically write a piece for the Colts, he must not have anything against corps performing his music.