3 Shows with EMOTION

1991 Santa Clara Vanguard

YES!

I was just talking to my buddy Phil Becker last night about this show. (Phil marched 91 SCV and is about to get out of the Army band - with hopes for the Air Force band).

91 SCV may not have been a serious contender for the title, but it was a beautiful, intense, emotional show. I loved watching it live.

• Like 1

Honorable Mention of 2000 The Cadets. I think it was the best company front dci has seen in a long time. I love that pause before it.

• Like 1

Re Cadets 2000 company front and the pause ... I wish there were a similar pause before the front in 1997. It was way too brief, seemed like they rushed into that finale.

What 3 shows do you watch and are like WHAM, with emotion and just energy that you can feel?

1st place: 2003 Phantom Regiment - A Harmonic Journey

2nd place: 1996 Phantom Regiment - A Defiant Heart

3rd place: 1989 Santa Clara Vanguard - Phantom of the Opera

I'm an old timer, I started marching in 67. Sooooooooooo:

1st: 89 Phantom. IMO the best horn show ever

2nd: 68 Kilties....god coming off the field with Auld Lang Syne

3rd: 71 Argonne Rebels...took horn playing to a different level

It was way too brief, seemed like they rushed into that finale.

Yeah, and the accelerando doesn't help either. That's such a good closer though, that it makes up for that and...ending the show on a quarter note <**>.

According to Romero Berrera (sp?), they used a scraper and a gong to create the sound of the "screams"...You can hear them talk about this near the end of the "Psycho" section on the dvd.

I believe you can use a rubber mallet on a gong and get a similar sound....Spirit did something like that for their 2001 Ghost Train show.......

love some of the chords in that show.......

Triple Forte

Well, as a dinosaur....

80 Spirit of Atlanta WAS good.

81 SCV playing "A Young Persons Guide to Orchestra" (at the time titled "AYPG to Drum Corps"), was incredible. They played the WHOLE thing, not some watered down theme or such.

75 Scouts. Can't get the ringing out of my ears yet.

Edited by apoch003

Yeah, and the accelerando doesn't help either. That's such a good closer though, that it makes up for that and...ending the show on a quarter noteĀ  <**>.

The ending was in 12-8, it was a dotted quarter. :P