3 Shows with EMOTION

For me it's:

SCV 1997

Blue Devils 1994

Cadets 1995

I totally agree with SCV '97!!! Emotion almost seeps out of the speakers as you listen to the show.

I totally agree with SCV '97!!! Emotion almost seeps out of the speakers as you listen to the show.

Very underrated show I feel.

There are countless shows that have a very emotional ballad. And I think all shows have at least some emotion in it...kinda hard to pick one over the other, but I guess I'll go with what has made my spine tingle.

Cadets 2000 hands down. It's the only show that makes me cry.

And since this thread is pretty old, I'll have to throw in Scouts 2013. Sure they only got 9th, but as one who has never really been a big fan of the Scouts, this show was chock full of emotion and I enjoyed it.

Blue Stars 2010 Houdini, since I was a part of this show as a volunteer that summer, it affected me deeply.

Carolina Crown 2009 The Grass is Always Greener sends many chills down my spine. I think this show had the greatest musical program ever written for a drum corps.

PR 1996, that opener, my God...there may never be another opener like it.

PR 2003, towards the end when they do the reprise, unforgettable musical moment in DCI history.

And then there is, of course, the retreat at the end of the 2008 season, when the score and corps for the silver medal is announced.

No offense to the 2nd place corps, of course, but there's no doubt that this was probably the most emotional moment in all of DCI history, followed by the announcement of the score for the corps that won the gold.

Yes. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Didn't see it live, but the recording gives me shivers every time. God I love that piece. Doing a Music History Analysis project on Shostakovich and that's one of the pieces I'm using. Might be my favorite DCI selection on some days. But tis good. Very very good.

• Like 1

Okay now I'm listening to another one. Phantom Regiment 2003 again, specifically, my favorite part of the show that I almost NEVER hear about. Yeah the Canon and Wild Nights were really nice blah blah, but that ballad is absolutely GORGEOUS. SO GOOD. That's what makes that show special to me, the rest, yeah of course, but "The Lords Prayer" is just breathtakingly gorgeous, beautiful, and gets me feeling pretty...........in awe.

There are countless shows that have a very emotional ballad. And I think all shows have at least some emotion in it...kinda hard to pick one over the other, but I guess I'll go with what has made my spine tingle.

Cadets 2000 hands down. It's the only show that makes me cry.

And since this thread is pretty old, I'll have to throw in Scouts 2013. Sure they only got 9th, but as one who has never really been a big fan of the Scouts, this show was chock full of emotion and I enjoyed it.

Blue Stars 2010 Houdini, since I was a part of this show as a volunteer that summer, it affected me deeply.

Carolina Crown 2009 The Grass is Always Greener sends many chills down my spine. I think this show had the greatest musical program ever written for a drum corps.

PR 2003, towards the end when they do the reprise, unforgettable musical moment in DCI history.

And then there is, of course, the retreat at the end of the 2008 season, when the score and corps for the silver medal is announced.

No offense to the 2nd place corps, of course, but there's no doubt that this was probably the most emotional moment in all of DCI history, followed by the announcement of the score for the corps that won the gold.

I will never understand people's love for Crown 09. I can't stand to listen to that show

Good choices, but I would go with

96 Regiment

87 Cadets

94 Blue Devils

If you never saw the 87 Cadets show in person you really missed something. The hornline was ragged, especially on the CDs, but the energy and raw power and emotion that came out of that corps on finals night was unbelievable.

I was there, and it was hardly "ragged." The recording that year was terrible. Part of it was the setting of the mics. The difference between Friday and Saturday for Garfield was huge, brass-wise (I have the semifinal high-cam recording). On Friday? Ragged. Nervous. Saturday? Ballsy with impeccable blend and balance. I always felt that Bill Doyle favored SCV (by studying recaps); we thought SCV had "his number" that night, but he must have missed the "ragged," too. :music:

• Like 1