Now that singing has become "acceptable"

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And many more who are apparently very excited about going. What is the point?

There are all sorts of views by people who attend any event, be it drum corps, NASCAR, baseball, concerts, etc....

And, those opinions may change over time, either for better or worse. A few people posting in a forum is hardly representative of the audience as a whole. IMO.

Mike

i hope more are for DCI's sake. However, will they have the passion and fanaticism those leaving had? Will they spend the thousands of dollars we did?

if not, DCI 's hurting unless they attract millions of casual fans to replace the diehards.

this same diehard group is the group that kept DCI afloat in the dark days of the mid 90's. that group won't be easily replaced

i hope more are for DCI's sake. However, will they have the passion and fanaticism those leaving had? Will they spend the thousands of dollars we did?

if not, DCI 's hurting unless they attract millions of casual fans to replace the diehards.

this same diehard group is the group that kept DCI afloat in the dark days of the mid 90's. that group won't be easily replaced

Well, my point is that the idea that there is a horde of legacy fans leaving is just not reality (IMO). Shows have a nice mix of both old and new, the ones I attend, anyway.

Mike

Well, my point is that the idea that there is a horde of legacy fans leaving is just not reality (IMO). Shows have a nice mix of both old and new, the ones I attend, anyway.

Same here. I'm sure some older fans have left because they don't enjoy the product anymore, but hasn't that always been the case? My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to be noticing just as high a percentage of middle-age and older folks at shows these days as I did ten or fifteen years ago.

If DCI has another broadcast, perhaps there could be a segment on how many corps have folded over the years. Perhaps Acheson and his court can sing Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust" as they read the ever growing list!!!!

:worthy:

How about you read the thread in the II/III forum about the 6

Div III corps coming back this season.

A drop in the bucket? Maybe. But it's a start.

do you have any idea how expensive that would be? and how silly it sounds??

well 10 years ago amplification was a silly notion...now its being done. (of course I still think its silly)

And likewise if you marched in the 80s like me. We had valves in the 80s you know.

I marched from '75 to '80 ('94-'04 All-age) and made the initial transitions from horizontal piston/rotar to vertical 2 pistons (introduced in '77 season) and then to 3 pistons. For those of you enlightened ones who claim that we didn't play on bugles during that time...why don't you email Kanstul Bugles

http://www.kanstul.net/pages/instruments/bugles.html

and other bugle manufacturers of that era and - those still making bugles today - and clue the professionals in on their misguided ignorance.

Edited by Brassop

Same here.  I'm sure some older fans have left because they don't enjoy the product anymore, but hasn't that always been the case?  My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to be noticing just as high a percentage of middle-age and older folks at shows these days as I did ten or fifteen years ago.

Attendance is down a whopping 20% from the early eighties when finals drew 30,000 or more. ( I remember being at '75 and '78 finals where Franklin Field and Mile High were almost half freaking full! The whole front to part of the end zones! )

Link below is chart of recent final year figures from DCI:

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=4...71-59edaff434e5

Edited by Brassop

Where are the links that show what caused those attendance drops?

Since your question suggests resistance to my contention - that attendance is down because the product isn't what it used to be (unless you agree with me and i've read you wrong) - perhaps you'd venture a guess? Weather? It's usually pretty good that time of year. Never heard of any Finals weather disasters. Population decline? Population in the U.S. is up substantially from 25 years ago. Ticket pricing? $25 was alot then. $50 is alot now.

Bad hot dogs? :worthy:

Edited by Brassop