Watching the Broadcast at a sports bar

I thought the boradcast was a HUGE success and everyone I was with enjoyed it very much.  I think some of you let your anti-Hopkins bias cloud your judgement on everything.  So what if some guys at a bar didn't care for the Bjork speak.

I bet they also hate it when BJORK does it!

Mike

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, have we met? I'm 23 and did not like it.  Keep the drumspeak in rehearsal.

Why?

Most of my friends have heard me drumspeak at one point or another, and they all get a kick out of it, but it's not for the field.

Obviously, it is.

Mike

Just for a moment think that maybe they are the right direction.

Mike

In 2004, I did. I was watching Crossmen in Beverly Massachussets.

I heard alot more pit, and although there were some balance problems I thought it could be a good thing.......

Then Boston took the field....this was long before they trimmed down the vocals, the narrator must have talked for 3 minutes of the show.

Mike, for one moment think that maybe this stuff isn't appealing to new fans, and that they see it to be just as cheesy as the rest of us. The term "Marching Band" already has a less than desirable image in main stream culture thanks in part to movies like Mr. Holland's Opus, American Pie, Drumline etc.

Since drum corps is not as well known comparatively, should we not be trying to save drum corps from a similar fate while trying to expand viewership?

I like the word "goobery"...I gotta use that more often. :P

I found myself blushing, too...and wanting to quickly change the channel. I had a lot of explaining to do afterwards, needless to say. :worthy:

Like I said in the other topic I was highly embarrassed about the percussion scattting into the microphones by cadets. I think it looked extreemly goobery if the casual person was to tune in they would see "band geeks". But hey they won so what do I know.

But I guess that makes puts me in the column of banning the mics and amps... another thread I know.

My wife saw drum corps for the first time this year. I didn't discuss anything about the activity beforehand (except that I had marched). She loved nearly everything she saw except what she called GEEKSPEAK. It does not seem to be appealing to the average new viewer

After reading this entire thread, I thought I had so much to say.

Turns out, my head hurts.

Bravo.

Just so you know where I am coming from. I am a casual DCI fan. I marched in high school, but never in corp. I try to go to at least one show a year, usually Murfreesboro, and I have a few of the DVDs as well as a couple of the PBS broadcasts on tape.

I thought this broadcast was everything it should have been. It was an excellent introduction into Drum Corps. It was never intended to be for the people that are dedicated enough to be reading this. DCI figures people like you and I are going to get to at least one show and if you are dedicated enough to want to watch the entire finals show, then you can buy the DVD or a ticket. The audience this show was put together for was the audience that you and I, the fans, created by telling people at work and school about the activity and the broadcast. This was for people who know very little to nothing about drum corp or the marching arts in general. I think this broadcast did an excellent job of choosing some of the more exciting moments from the top corps shows, stuff the average viewer would find interesting. This was not intended to be the full meal, just the sampler platter to get people interested. While most of us would gladly sit through hour after hour of the complete programs from all the top 12 corps, the producers knew that as soon as they played a slow or boring segment of a show they would start losing viewers. To me it was a nice preview and something to help me decide if I want to invest the money in this years DVD set, since I was not able to make it to any shows this year. The jury is still out on that one, but I think I might put it on the Christmas list. Also even I enjoyed the behind the scene look at the activity I have come to enjoy. I thought the little documentaries were pretty neat, especially the one where they hooked the tenor player up to all the monitors.

Funny you should say. The first drumcorps show I ever saw was 1995 Madison Scouts, live. Wow. I was hooked after that and there was no turning back.

I was wondering to myself last night that, had I been a youth watching this, would I have been drawn into the activity the way Madison drew me in? I don't think I would have been. Maybe if I would have seen Phantom.

None of the top-caliber corps are using all this talent to their advantage, you're right. They're relying increasingly on cheap gimmicks that I and most people outside of this activity find campy. I actually was much more pleased with 5-9 than 1-4 (besides Phantom).

At least from my personal standpoint, the simple problem I had with stuff in shows really isn't too far from what I think most band kids with no corps experience would think. I just don't like cheap effects for a quick crowd response. BD calling out the city ("We've got a couple from Menasha, Wisconsin here..."), Cavaliers sporting a hometown (highly contrasting their show theme, though) baseball jersey finals night, Cadets giving the background behind "The Zone" before the first hit so that people understand the theory of whats happening/aforementioned pit girl...just a bit frustrating to notice, especially when watching with a group of people, that the best corps no longer seem to use exceptional talent, beautiful music, innovative drill, or simple ingenuity and resourcefulness to wow an audience. I doubt a kid ran into his house after a show this year and was like "Mom! Mom! The drum corps show was AWESOME! The Blue Devils knew what city they were in and said it in the microphone!" Picture the same situation with having seen a championship corps from the 90's, though...or even to be fair, picture it with a fourth place corps. It's not unrealistic to see a kid genuinely thrilled or awed after having watched Madison '95 blow the house down, or heard SCV '00 play one of the most beautiful drum corps ballads ever. I really don't intend to bash 'progressivism,' or even rant about the activity, but I think this is somewhat relavant to someone asking about what live audiences (sports fans or not) thought. The ability to wow an audience by doing what WE AS DRUM CORPS DO, is what draws people to the activity. If people wanted to witness geographical shoutouts and hear an annoucer yell "lets hear itttt.....", they'd go to a rock concert. Guess it was no surprise that especially so among the top four, my broadcast-mates were extrmely impressed by Phantom Regiment, a corps that definitely earned themselves some new fans tonight.

I'd just like to mention on the side that I noticed tonight, upon seeing the show for the first time, that Phantom MOVES like I've never seen them move before. I honestly don't ever remember watching a Phantom Regiment show with that much velocity....hats off to them.

If this was off topic, sorry for wasting people's time. I'm still extremely tired and haven't fully recovered from the aftereffects of the FSU/UM game last night.  ^OO^

Edited by manoloblahniksabre

Funny you should say. The first drumcorps show I ever saw was 1995 Madison Scouts, live. Wow. I was hooked after that and there was no turning back.

You and me both....what a great first show to see.

i think it's kind of funny that when anti-amp people heard a newbie criticize the drumspeak, they ran to DCP to say "see?!? hopkins was wrong! it doesn't speak to the newer, younger generation! i'm right, and dci is wrong!"

come on. there will be mixed responses. i'm sure some will think it's stupid. some will like it. i honestly think the majority love that kind of stuff when it's paired with a good show. i'm a secondary music ed major, and i spend a good deal of time around high school bandos... they love gimmicks. as much as some of the community wants to believe that this "make-over" for DCI won't work..... it probably will. attendance goes up every year, despite the doomsday prophets of DCP threatening to stop seeing shows.

and drumspeak isn't just for rehearsal.... i saw a senior percussion recital that involved a lot of drumspeak in one of its peices.