Watching the Broadcast at a sports bar

Ok, I'm fairly new to the activity (I saw my first live show in 2002, and my rookie season was 2003). Last night was history in the making. We've been wanting national exposure since for ever and last night we finally got it. All you people can complain about though are The Cadets and Blue Devils vocals, why surrealism sucks, and how much you hate George Hopkins. Instead you should be thrilled that for the time in the activity's history, it was in the national spotlight, in primetime, on network television. Last night was a huge step for this activity and organization. Just my 2 cents...

btw You can stop complaining about the vocals and stuff now, seeing as how the last time they were said was 25 days ago. Also incase you didn't notice Mr. Hopkins doesn't really care what you think about him. He's the director of the second winningest drum corps in DCI history.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I say keep drumspeak... just don't mic it.  When a corps sang they were not on mic.

I find it funny that Blue Devils used drumspeak in their solo section in 2003 and no one ever seemed to care about it. It was not miked and therefore no one made anything of it other than it was "cool". This year several corps use it and miked it and all chaos breaks loose concerning it. It seems to me the problem is the mic issue and not the actual drumspeak.

Also incase you didn't notice Mr. Hopkins doesn't really care what you think about him.  He's the director of the second winningest drum corps in DCI history.

No, he just cares about changing the rules and judging standards so that he can be the winningest director in DCI history.

Im not for or agianst amps on the field. but drum corps is about change. even if its not good change. but if there wasnt change we would still be on G (not that it would be a bad thing) and the shows would all be flat lined.

just a thought.

and phantoms hornline is amazing :worthy:

I find it funny that Blue Devils used drumspeak in their solo section in 2003 and no one ever seemed to care about it.  It was not miked and therefore no one made anything of it other than it was "cool".  This year several corps use it and miked it and all chaos breaks loose concerning it.  It seems to me the problem is the mic issue and not the actual drumspeak.

I don't mind chanting and drum speak when it's accoustic. When it's miced it doesn't sound right with a basicly accoustic ensemble. It jumps out at you like you're suddenly your in Vegas or something and then your back to an accoustic ensemble. It's out of character to me and doesn't fit.

Singing? <**> It's not that I don't love singing. It's I have yet to hear a top horn line sing as well as they play. One phrase or an "Amen" for affect is ok But really, any more than that and it becomes pointless, especially when they play their horns so well.

To all I say let us wait until the ratings come out. We then will find out how the program went.

I for one, found it to be less than what it could have been. Very confusing to the newbies and , I am sorry to say it just looked like bands on the field (minus regiment). Everyone ( and I highlight this) I was with (all newly introduced to activity) didn't get it, didn't like it or thought some aspect or another was cheesy. Sorry Mike, the drum speak was the caption of ridicule and laughs. I am sorry to say, that last night in our group (21) we did not recruit 1 new member or fan.

No, he just cares about changing the rules and judging standards so that he can be the winningest director in DCI history.

This is really childish. Do you know this for a fact? Come on, grow up and act your age. I am tired of all the crap on this board. You people say some things that are really outragious and you can't back it up. Sure, this may be your opinion, but this is not the kind of thing people should be littering these forums with. And if this is your opinion, then you have a warped sense of belief values. Always the conspiracy theory. DCI and Hopkins are trying their best to tear it all down.

This is no better than the media falsly reporting dirt on some politician, and then having to retract it after they were proven wrong. Unfortunately, the damage has been done and someone's name and reputation gets smeered and dragged in the mud. I want some hard proof about comments like this. Please show me that you're slightly older than 16.

Good grief! Personally, I love where DCI is heading, and I loved what the Cadets are doing. All it really boils down to is that I am getting what I want, and you are not. Oh well, too bad. Somebody has to lose!

How does that make you feel?

Jonathan

the drum speak was the caption of ridicule and laughs. I am sorry to say, that last night in our group (21) we did not recruit 1 new member or fan.

I've found in the few corps performances that incorporate drumspeak, and the many winter lines that do it, it is often over-performed.

I think of drumspeak as a communication tool, an intermediary language somewhere between spoken word and written music. When used in performance with such uber-enthusiasm it just sounds silly.

w/Stp: