My review of Class A

Well, after my predictions thread got some attention, I may as well do a review of the weekend's activities. For the record, my predictions were a wash as soon as score number two was announced.

And for the other record, Fran, not only did you win the shirt contest, but you announced the wrong 50/50 number on Sunday. You said 953 and I had 950, I think you made a mistake.

Lakeshoremen - No offense meant, knowing it was their first show ever, I didn't expect much. What I got was beyond a pleasant surprise. Cirque music was catchy and the corps played great. Certainly with your schedule there wouldn't be much in the way of marching, but what was there was clean. Can't wait to see the development of this corps.

Mon Valley Express - Congrats on a first year. The show as a little roguh around the edges butknowing what you went through just that day explains it all. If they can keep the base they'll be in good shape. Realistically, I thought the horns played well, drum line was shaky, but I wish the pit had some more sound or even some harder mallets, because what they were playing was definitely effective and supportive. Go get em in 2006.

Chops Inc. - sold from the Tommy intro. Good solid all around corps thatd efinitely deserved the Class A title. Freebird friggin ruled and I would welcome it again from this corps anytime. Soloists had a game both nights and I had Cgops by 0.1 at Finals. See you next year, we hope.

Gulf Coast Cound - (Order is random), a vast improvement in all areas from 2004. The first any other year quote says this show would've won Class A in it's inagural 1997 season. If all of these corps stay around and keep improving imagine how good this show will be in another 5 years.

Music City Legend - nice show. Pretty sound with probably the best brass blend on the afternoon portion. Should mention my seats were 8th row center so not many drill remarks. Ending seemed a little quick for the corps to pull off with lots of direction changes, but the sound never suffered.

Alliance - More Cirque du Alliance this time. Certainly the most colorful show of the afternoon. The music was nice but I thought maybe the corps used a little too much of the field for a small group. Either way I thought prwelims was the better show and Alliance certainly earned their spot on Sunday.

White Sabers - can't go wrong with Buddy Rich. I thoroughly enjoyed this show. It seemed the full season of shows had the corps battle tested and I don't think any nerves were there. Certainly, some things could've been cleaner, but this is a great start in the competing ranks.

Shenandoah Sound - I apologize but I missed this show. If you saw the amount of beef my friend served me at an afternoon cookout you'd know why. I caught the 2nd half of it from the side and it seemed asif this group was having fun and improved from the previous year yet again. Congratulations on your first finsih ahead of another corps and build, build, build.

Heat Wave - had the pleasure of hosting this corps at my High School. This corps could've definitely benefitted from a few more horns, but Vic said not one of the sopranos ever marched before. With all of this in mind, the corps performed brilliantly. Drum line was clearly the strongest of the class and earned the award. Time Warp was a drum corps first for me as well.

Govenaires - another solid show from a small group. Love the Underdog warm-up. This corps I think faltered a bit at Prelims and had a better showing at Finals. A midwest battle for a title is always healthy. Let's just hope all of these corps keep coming back year after year.

I'll do a Finals review later in the week when I have some mroe time. Those who buy tickets and only come for open class miss out on a lot. This was a great start to the competition and I only hope it grows from here.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for giving a review of Class A.

This was the first year I had the opportunity to see more than one Class A Corps on the field, and I have to tell you, you've got a fan. I had heard from a friend who moved South this past year to be sure to catch Alliance, and they didn't disappoint. I kept asking my friend to count the horns again. All I can say after all that boo-hooing about who in Open Class wasn't coming out with 60 horns is WOW! Govies were great & I'll give someone $20 to teach me that crazy dancing salute your guard does on retreat! We couldn't wait for you to take another caption so we could see it again! And CHOPS, we had such a blast in the nosebleed seats when you played FreeBird! Yup, that was us up in the stands with the lighters over our heads. Kudos to all three corps for the fun, entertainment and level of performance. I'd say I'll be getting to prelims a lot earlier in 2006, but I'll be marching again. See you on retreat!

The dance is the Penguin Shuffle as is the name of the corps' closer. It was created by Molly Mayer and was first performed in 1997. The upper brass dance it on the field as well (thanks for noticing).

The dance is the Penguin Shuffle as is the name of the corps' closer. It was created by Molly Mayer and was first performed in 1997. The upper brass dance it on the field as well (thanks for noticing).

The upper brass "dance" is a pretty forgiving term. I would describe it more as........creative moving. :)

No one could do it as well as Pegram. :worthy:

I also want to extend my thanks for reviewing Class A, and the kind words you expressed for my corps.

It has been said that this was the most competitive season in Class A's history. Its an honor to even be on the field with all these fine drum corps. It was really a thrill to perform to such a great audience as well.

GCS will be back and even better in 2006!!