Dot vs Form

Way back when, I tried to march my spots. I could understand where I was supposed to be on the field, and marching the form was hard for me, but that was how we did it.

But now it seems like the Cavaliers marches dots, not forms, and it seems like they take some heat on the boards for it. Marching dots make perfect sense to me!

So what's the thinking / reasons behind all of this?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dots most likely came to the fore with more complicated and tighter drill designs....if you don't know EXACTLY where you need to be and when, you could cause a collision that may not have happened back in the day....klinda like the change from mylar to kevlar heads...kevlar requires a tighter technique because it's a LOT more unforgiving than mylar.

In the end, howver, form still has priority...and if one guy consistently dot-dives, you're gonna have problems.

The dot is a guide....don't be married to it ($1 to Charlie Grog)

March your dot in the form.

At my corps, we have dot books and memorize all of our dots, but we're encouraged to look at the form when we have visual rehearsals. Everyone can't be expected to know all their dots, and a lot of the show is usually made up of curved forms and such. In that case, it's best to look at form because each rep isn't necessarily identical to the last.

Both systems have been utilized successfully in the past, so I think they are both worth using.

My gripe with guiding is that if you have a block form that is moving or something, and one person in a line is off, the whole line is supposed to shift with them, and now, instead of having one person out of line, the whole line is shifted a few steps from where it should be, making a terrible-looking form.

Why not just have that one person be out of line?

Why should I be accountable for other peoples' mistakes?

That said, guiding has its place. Most organizations do not have the time or the talent to take full advantage of the dot system. A system in which everyone must know every one of their dots, and the midsets and quarter sets of those dots.

Having marched the dot system the majority of my marching career, it's hard for me to fathom marching drill that is drastically different every show. Doesn't that seem a little inefficient to anyone?

I'm horribly biased, but that's how I feel. I'm done now.