Underrated Brass lines

AzEuph

hmmm.... soprano3, crownsop05, crownsop04 all seem to be extolling the brilliance of crown's hornline in a very similar style...

now, i'm not going to lie, i did love crown's hornline sound this year, but i wouldn't say they were over-rated... i think they got plenty of credit, credit that they deserved. however, i enjoyed bd's, cadets', and coats' hornline more than crown's - better? i don't know, i think so -- but crown definitely had a nice, full sound, and i think the horn book was more exposed than 04's (which was also a good hornline). not necessarily underrated, though.

Edited by TTitans909

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

in regards to phantom 93 -- i know this is a very minor thing... but that missed release just pisses the #### out of me every time i see the show... i mean... ahhhhh - so bad.

SPEAKNG OF MISSED RELEASE......

It seems that there is a soprano hanging over in the 04 Cavies show, or are my ears deceiving me? Can someone confirm that for me?

in regards to phantom 93 -- i know this is a very minor thing... but that missed release just pisses the #### out of me every time i see the show... i mean... ahhhhh - so bad. 

SPEAKNG OF MISSED RELEASE......

It seems that there is a soprano hanging over in the 04 Cavies show, or are my ears deceiving me?  Can someone confirm that for me?

Which part? It was probably intentionally hung over, as in screaming jazz trumpet style.

I don't see any musicality in a lead trumpet hanging over on the release of the impact chord in the ballad. That chord would have been amazing if not for that. Your ears are fine.

This is based on first impressions, but man oh man SCV 2005...unbelieveable. You know, it's a shame, RCM is probably the weakest part, but the other 8-9 minutes before are INCREDIBLE. They don't even sound like an 8th place hornline. But again, just first impressions. I just heard the finals recording tonight and I was just like "whoa". I'm sure once I've listened to it a million more times I'll be more picky, but still...man, what a great hornline!

I personally felt that Capital Regiment's brass this year was impressive. By far the hardiest book (especially for mellos) with the top 5 in front of them. Deryck Gipson is an amazing captian and hopefully he'll recieve the credit one day. Capital went from being 20th (around) to almost making it into the top 12, .1 away from Glass. That to me is quite an impressive growth.

Thanks for the kind words. I do agree that the mello book was really hard (didn't play mello) but wow, some of those runs were crazy... and I'm so glad they didn't get hozed!

what about Cavaliers 2003? by far the best hornline I've ever heard...

bd got a perfect score, right? I absolutely disagree, or you can give BD a perfect score but then give 22 to Cavies... probably the hardest book ever, played in such a magnificent way...

if 02 Cavaliers showed that even a drum corps could sound good and not just loud, 03 was even better... shocking. my 03 world champions by far...

well, I still can't understand how BD won 03, but it's a long time ago, so let's cut it here...

EDIT:

I checked , BD didn't get a perfect score in 03, they got a 19.9 in semifinals... anyway it still works... :P

Edited by FH4life

i thought BD's hornline was bettert than cavies' in 03, but that unison C chord at (or near) the end of cavies' show was pretty #### good.

Edited by TTitans909