Underrated Brass lines

AzEuph

Conversely, if Cadets won GE in '00 which was won by a substantial margin the night before (and every other night), then it would have swung big the other way.

Hehe, good point. If the numbers are vulnerable enough for me to fudge one caption around, then no other caption is safe either. If I can say "look, Cavaliers should have been closer in brass, and therefore champions", then certainly you can counter with "well, Cadets should have been ahead in GE, so they should have been solo champions". ^_^

I totally agree with you, though, that both corps had great shows that year. Congratulations, by the way. :)

Of course, I also agree with TTitans that the Cadets hornline sounds awful on the recordings, so I'll always feel the title belonged to the Cavaliers that year. :P

Edited by Maedhros

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree about the King marching brass.  I honestly prefer that sound to the Yamaha and the Dynasty.  The sounds coming from the Phantom and Carolina horn lines tells me that those are quality instruments.  yes, both corps have great players, but the sound produced is very professional.  The trumpets alone sound far better to me than the Yamaha's.

Jonathan

We agree....I love the sound both Regiment and Crown produce from those Kings...esp Regiment using euphoniums!

Mike

1983 Boston Inc. 19 hornplayers yet a top 20 line. Amazing sound they got from just 19 people.

1982 - 1985 Geneseo Knights, such depth, clarity and intonation. The 1985 line ? I bet only a dozen people here can recall hearing them LOL...that was truly a great book, played with emotion and maturity.

1984 Freelancers. So many memorable shows that year, its hard to overlook "Sac" TOP suite, otl, was amazing so loud yet dynamic. Freelancers always had underrated brass.

1987 Spirit of Atlanta - way overlooked, often forgotten about, but a corps that was only tenths away from Garfield a few weeks before finals. Dixieland jazz played with command and such emotion......it was sizzling, sultry, contemplative, reflective and in your face....an outstanding brass book, a totally underrated line,a nd corps.

1989 Dutchboy - "Nite and day" was such a stunning visual program that one often think of just that, the awesome colorguard and great brubaker drill, GE to the max, but the brassline delivered "True to the original" arrangements and played them very strong. Another very overlooked and underappreciated line and corps.

1991 Cavaliers. Sure Star deserved the title, and Blue Devils deserved high brass, but the Cavaliers had such a smooth, emotional brass program, it was played so well offering exactly what one would expect from these songs, that it is often overlooked just how hard and how well they played. Crisp, solid attacks, cohesive passages and fanfares all the while moving (properly) at breaknecj speed. Again a case where vicual and GE take precedent and the brass is often forgotten about.

Just some for now.

~G~

LOL, I just wrote that !!!!

It bears repeating, n'est-ce pas?

I might suggest y'all dangle your tootsies on the outside of the box and harp a litle less on second-and third-place corps with "underrated" hornlines. Sure, they might not have placed where you wanted them to, but come on...Cavaliers fiish half a point behind Garfield in 2000 and they're underrated? YMMV, as always, but this seems a little more like sour grapes and less like the purpose of the thread.

I totally agree, when you are in the top five in the final placements, its like splitting hairs, you are all GOOD and you all receive the accolades and praise from the judges and fans........these corps <2001 Cadets, 2000 Cavies, 2005 Crown...etc...etc...> are far from underrated. They are EXPECTED to have good brass lines and are rewarded for them. Being first one year, then fourth another is not underrated, it means you are in the same ballpark as everyone up at the top.

~G~