Best Contra Show?

Kanstul (although a pain to carry) then King.

Star early '90s.

Phantom '96.

BD late '90s (thinking about the "Cool" theme fading out moving across the field.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD late '90s (thinking about the "Cool" theme fading out moving across the field.

That was 98. :)

Check out Star of Indiana 1986 - Close Encounters

good choice here.....I ditto that

and

add 2004 Phantom Regiment.....beginning of show

Triple Forte

I thought this year's SCV show had a great contra line, especially at the beginning of the show.

I actually thought that SCV's low brass sounded kind of mushy and indistinct this year (and last year, too). Not bad, but not quite on the money, either. For instance, I listen to the 1987 version of RCM, which was crisp and clear as a sunny winter's day, and compare it to the '05 version, and the '05 version just sounds a bit messy.

Such babes in the woods! I'm glad that someone mentioned '83 Freelancers, but the real story is '82 Sky Ryders. They were really incredible! They had some really great split parts in their book that season. But if you want to know the REAL story, our '82 line was 90% rookie. Ray Atlas was the only vet in the line (with lots of experience) and he served as an "unofficial/official" staff member that season. Of the 7 rookies, there were 3 of us that had NO previous drum corps experience, 1 member from NY corps (sorry Dave, I don't know what corps you marched in in NY), 1 member from the Seattle Imperials, 1 member from the Freelancers and 1 member from the Phantom Regiment. We added the last guy (one of us with no prior experience) in July on 1st tour. We almost ended up with Gary Brattin that season, but because that spot was spoken for, he did not end up with us until the next season. It was a real wild ride that season and I know that we put Ray to the test many, many times. He never gave up and put up with all of our disfuntionality. I'd say we were the "comeback kids" of the top 12 contra lines that season. Heh, I didn't cost anyone a ring that season in BD! :-p

I know this topic was buried for a little while but I can't believe what I'm reading. The Cadets contra lines are one of only 3 that I always notice for having incredible drill and musical responsiblities and pulling it off. The Blue Devil lines are good playing wise but honestly how hard is drill when you stay in between the same people the whole show or when your intervals don't change the show or whatever there doing over there. I give my props to the Cavies, Cadets, SCV, and Phantom lines because when you watch the demand there lines have you really feel bad for those guys. But they make it look really good and easy.

83, 84, 85 Blue Devil Contras were incredible. Cool parts, rock solid performances, and the ultimate metronome for the line. The contras were our string basses and kept us moving to some pretty cool rythms.

Edited by bd5times

83, 84, 85 Blue Devil Contras were incredible. Cool parts, rock solid performances, and the ultimate metronome for the line. The contras were our string basses and kept us moving to some pretty rythms.

Best examples....the opening of "Everyone Loves the Blues" in 83, and the walking line after the power chord (and Jeff Vorhees' subsequent tymp closeup #42) in Latin Implosion when the rest of the line was facing backfield...I kept wanting to snap my fingers to that....