Hopkins and saxophones

Saxophone line???!?!

Am I the only one around here who gets nauseous when people start talking about a saxophone line in drum corps?

Am I the only one around here who will boycott DCI forever if I see woodwinds on the field?

Is there any drum corps lover here that can seriously tell me they want to see this???

Since when is drum corps an vehicle for the enjoyment of all musicians?

Why stop at musicians?

Shouldn't the debate team, chess club, and olympic curling hopefuls also get to "taste the joy of the activity?" Aern't they part of "humanity?"

Why don't we just put every single activity out there on the football field.

Then we can let the judges and the market decide what it wants to see.

Adding woodwinds is arbitrary. Woodwinds are a holdover from concert band. That is the only reason they are on the marching band field.

Recruitment??? There is like 1000 people that try out for cadets every year.

Maybe the beauty of drum corps is that it DOESN'T change that much.

Maybe there is beauty in a full concert arc of flat front silver horns.

Maybe there is beauty in the distinctive sound of a drum corps.

Drum corps is a competitive activity. It is about playing at the highest levels, achieving near perfection. It is not about educating the next generation of band directors.

THAT IS WHAT PUBLIC SCHOOL AND MARCHING BAND IS FOR!!!!!!!

Thoughts?

cf

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

...this is a really unnecessary thread. What's the objective? George Hopkins thinks they would be a good idea, and a vast majority of other people don't. That's a fact. Great.

Saxophone line???!?!

Am I the only one around here who gets nauseous when people start talking about a saxophone line in drum corps?

Thoughts?

Well, since you asked. Are you the only one around here who hasn't read any of the four dozen threads on this topic that have been beaten to death since January of 2004?

Pardon, but you asked for thoughts. I couldn't resist. Peace.

Mike

...this is a really unnecessary thread. What's the objective? George Hopkins thinks they would be a good idea, and a vast majority of other people don't. That's a fact. Great.

I seem to remember that people were saying the same thing about his support for amplification a few years back. I wouldn't be too smug. Personally, I find the whole idea undesireable and contrary to the spirit and tradition of the activity...and downright scarey that a man with Hopkin's influence is floating the idea.

I seem to remember that people were saying the same thing about his support for amplification a few years back. I wouldn't be too smug. Personally, I find the whole idea undesireable and contrary to the spirit and tradition of the activity...and downright scarey that a man with Hopkin's influence is floating the idea.

"Saxaphones & Hoppie":

Well said my pretty. Most of the "Junk" littering up the junior corps landscape this century can be laid right at "Hoppie's" front doorstep, wherever that may be.....

Elphaba