Hopkins and saxophones

Drum corps is a competitive activity. It is about playing at the highest levels, achieving near perfection.

While I'm not in favor of it either.....the licks a kick *** alto sax line could play on the field would

would be far above the technical demands placed on the horn line.

^0^ it could seriously add to the melodic and counter melodic line ^0^

**ducks flying vegatables**

and we could always put nerf balls in their bells to make them sound more like a melli :worthy:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't trying to say that there is anything better about all brass. I just mean that woodwinds I encounter can't march. But then again, I've never been to Texas...

Another question: why not introduce an independent marching band circuit?

Another question: why not introduce an independent marching band circuit?

It was tried out in California for a while. I don't think it really caught on, and it died out after a few years.

Now, then, a new circuit that has both DCI and BOA's influence behind it might be a different story.

Yeah, I feel like if BOA, especially teamed up with DCI, put some effort behind it and made a national plan of attack, it could be accomplished. That's something I wouldn't mind seeing. I just really like drum corps as what it is right now (even though I obviously wasn't around for "the good ol' days").

It reminds me kind of what they're trying to establish in Japan with marching band/winterguard and the efforts in Europe to establish winterguard. Slow and steady.

While I'm not in favor of it either.....the licks a kick *** alto sax line could play on the field would

would be far above the technical demands placed on the horn line.

^0^ it could seriously add to the melodic and counter melodic line ^0^

**ducks flying vegatables**

No flying vegetables from me. I like the idea. I think, even if just as a solo, adding a sax voice to some of these shows would be great. IMO, the saxophone is probably the one woodwind capable of matching the energy and excitement of a brass instrument, and would mesh well with the sound the hornline already produces. Think of all the jazz bands with a sax line, and imagine the kind of show Crossmen or Blue Devils could put on if they were able to add that additional voice. I think it would be a treat.

I'm sure there are some who will. IMO that is their problem, as also IMO the number will not be significant. And also IMO, I think even more band directors will look favorably on drum corps, and will bring students to shows in even larger numbers than now, more than making up for those few who leave.

Yes. Of course, it should be more than just saxes....all WW should be permitted, IMO, preferablt in a new 'anything goes' division.

Yes, let us limit those who should be able to enjoy participating in an activithy as great as drum corps.

Ummmm....wrong.

And lots of openings in other divisions that go unfilled. Plus, if they ADD another 75-80 slots to accommodate WW it lets more members participate at that level.

Tell that to those who wring their hands bemoaning multi-key horns, amps, dancing in the guard, pits, etc....

Who said there isn't.

Yes there is, as there is with the sound of a great MB.

Nothing in the above provides a rationale to not include WW. The same statements apply with or without them.

You have a POV...you are entitled to it. I reject almost your entire premise...whic is MHO.

Mike

Mike,...I don't know what to say to you anymore....you and folks like you will be responsible for the demise of drum corps in the long run....dump any so-called innovation on drum corps and I am sure you will find the rationale for it's acceptance....Frankly, I could care less how long you have been in the activity you are helping take the balls out of drum corps by advocating the addition of woodwinds....I cannot understand why even the thought of this does not sicken you....drum corps IMO is not innovative...it has become a swap meet for any idea or gimmick that one can peddle as innovative and contemporary....drum corps will never be the same, thanks to sell-outs like yourself, and yes Mike, this time I am trying to offend you!.....Hoppy said it,....it must be great!

This has been rehashed over, and over. Though I'll still lend my two cents.

Woodwinds may indeed add a new texture to drum corps. Though we already have a circuit where this has been proven. It's called marching band. If this is something that is seriously being considered, set up a new division. Call it the unlimited class or something. Existing corps can choose if they want to give the WW's a shot, though would have to compete in the new division for the time that they decided to use WW's.

Let the rest of the corps who are opting not to use saxes compete with each other as they have for decades. The new division could be promoted within BOA in the off season to gain numbers, and support. Base the new sheets on BOA criteria. They're a very successful entity. Thus if DCI chooses to go that way, they would be a good model.

There is no reason why this can't be looked at in a manner beneficial to the activity. Though I think pressing it on the current corps may lead to the old "well corps X used them, and did really well, so we need them to stay competitive" drill. That I think is a destructive line of thinking. It leads corps to make changes they may not entirely agree with, just to stay at the top. I want the current activity to grow, though growing IMO involves becoming something new, and unique. Not something we already have.