Harmonicas in drum corps?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why am I having flashbacks to the Cheech & Chong routine with the old blues man (Blind Melon Chittlin?).

Guy keeps trying to play his harmonica but he doesn't realize he's not holding it. All you hear is pppbbbtttt and the sound of spit flying all over the place. :sshh:

Edited by JimF-xWSMBari

Um...can we please not give some of these directors/staffs anymore crazy ideas??? :laugh:

Oh heck. . . thinking about harmonicas isn't exactly news. . .

I saw Fairview HS in Colorado do a harmonica feature about 9 years ago. . . brought the house down in a blues show. . . and I was one of those standing and screaming. . . the guy was good, and the context was incredible.

Chuck Naffier

Didn't 27th Lancers use them in 1977?

No, they used their mouthpieces if you're referring to the drum solo part in the "Tornado" drum solo. :)

And if you're talking about the soprano quartet in "Can-Can" the soprano's were muted.

Edited by Lancerlady

Haromonicas! Amp'ed and Mic'ed! Yea Baby! Like the Blues Travelers! But, But, diferent. :laugh:

Let me be the first to steal your line. "Amp your harmonica and kazoos" :P

Oh heck. . . thinking about harmonicas isn't exactly news. . .

I saw Fairview HS in Colorado do a harmonica feature about 9 years ago. . . brought the house down in a blues show. . . and I was one of those standing and screaming. . . the guy was good, and the context was incredible.

Chuck Naffier

Cool to hear. I was thinking if a corps (say maybe even Crossmen) wanted to do a blues-style show, would they be able to use a blues-style harmonica for it?

But based on some of the responses that came up, I wonder why I started this thing in the first place... <**>

Cool to hear. I was thinking if a corps (say maybe even Crossmen) wanted to do a blues-style show, would they be able to use a blues-style harmonica for it?

But based on some of the responses that came up, I wonder why I started this thing in the first place... <**>

Bluecoats did a blues-themed show back in '94. No harmonicas but the guard had saxaphone props during a Charlie Parker piece.

Bluecoats did a blues-themed show back in '94. No harmonicas but the guard had saxaphone props during a Charlie Parker piece.

Currently, the harmonica is not a "legal" drum corps instrument.

Should it ever become legal, Toots Thielman won't be far behind. . . and. . . I'll finally be able to program "The Man With The Harmonica" from "Once Upon A Time In The West" for the Troopers. . .

But, since I'm not gonna wait around for that day just to be creative. . . I'll do it with the activity that is currently the most creative in the pageantry arts. . .

Then, when drum corps finally legalizes every instrument. . . round about 2015. . . we'll be able to hear it at DCI. . . and everyone in the band world will finally truthfully say that the drum corps world is only an imitation of what the band world has already done.

I'll leave it to you all to determine whether I'm being sarcastic or not. . . LOL. . .

Anyway, I remember that Bluecoats show. . . they also used pool cues as guard equipment. . . didn't Larry Mondrano (forgive my spelling) write for the guard that year?

best,

Chuck Naffier

Woodwinds, No. Amplification, absolutely not. I might be an "old" guy, but I ain't that old. When I saw that tripe this year, I wanted to vomit in terror.

There needs to be a limit. Yes, drum corps must evolve, and has done so quite nicely overall (though I still have a hard time getting used to all that non-moving equipment in the pit).

Well, maybe I am old. Real men carry their tympanis and think like bass drummers, the American flag has a place in drum corps, and capacitors SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED!

There. It's out. I haven't seen anyone get flamed here, but I haven't been around long and it's probably against the rules anyway.